Streamlined Video Referee

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just about sums up RL for me right now.

Apparently Sky know about it, but the average punter? Nowt.

Not only is this treating the paying public with contempt, but missing out on the opportunity for a press release about whys and wherefores. Which may generate some column inches and dare I say publicity for the Bash.

With the footy WC coming up, VR is a hot topic for discussion in sport in general.

Any tweaking of the system is an open goal for generating interest and debate.

But, hey, what do I know?

47 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Not only is this treating the paying public with contempt, but missing out on the opportunity for a press release about whys and wherefores. Which may generate some column inches and dare I say publicity for the Bash.

With the footy WC coming up, VR is a hot topic for discussion in sport in general.

Media always have known things in just about any sport before the 'punter'. It is not treating the paying public with contempt at all.

As for generating interest, that is what the announcement from Sky was all about, if you want to know what it is, then watch the Summer Bash. Some will have picked up on it from the comments during Magic, others will pick it up from this thread, and other discussion boards. It will help to boost viewing figures for The Bash

What do you want a personal phone call from Ralph Rimmer before any announcement is made just to make sure you are in the loop before our biggest sponsor is.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Summer Bash is a great concept and a great watch . Looking forward to seeing the championship showcased . It’ll be great value for the exposure and they play entertaining stuff . No point repeating the points about nudging sky , they seem immune. 

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

Not much by the looks of it.

Funny you mention the football world cup. That's the platform that sport usually uses to introduce changes to the rules or innovations. I would be surprised if there wasn't one or two this summer.

Will the 'average punter' know owt about it until the first time it is used? Doubt it. Will it be a farce? No.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 20 May 2018 at 6:03 PM, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

At the first day of Magic the commentators mentioned that there will be a streamlined version of the video referee at Summer Bash.

Does anyone know anything about this?

On 20 May 2018 at 6:03 PM, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

At the first day of Magic the commentators mentioned that there will be a streamlined version of the video referee at Summer Bash.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Yep. A couple of refs will sit in a darkened room at Red Hall and will spin a coin to decide every referral

Cheap & quick. Communication wth on field ref via a mobile phone

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

More or less checking for only grounding/touch for tries then. Good. Fingers crossed it works!

Yep. Should flow well, and put more ownership on the on field officials. Like it

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yep. Should flow well, and put more ownership on the on field officials. Like it

Great stuff. You just know the officials will miss one obstruction and everyone will start saying ‘we need the full video ref back!’.

But perspective is needed people, this is good for the game 

Great, getting the VR back to what it should be a quick help to the on field referee. What we need to cap it off is for the commentators to avoid analysing every decision frame by frame afterwards then banging on about it if a mistake is perceived.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Great, getting the VR back to what it should be a quick help to the on field referee. What we need to cap it off is for the commentators to avoid analysing every decision frame by frame afterwards then banging on about it if a mistake is perceived.

I think that’s the rub . All these picky penalties in general play are one thing  , but if they make a big call on a try then that’s something you’d take and the vast majority of games do . It’s when you see them on replay ,which of course on a Sunday you don’t !

Like it. So us punters do know what the state of play is then.

I would still like the captains to have one challenge though, renewed if the challenging team turns out to be correct.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

32 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Amen. Bye bye Stuart Cummings!

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Amen. Bye bye Stuart Cummings!

I honestly don't understand what value Sky think they are getting by analysing decisions as deeply as they do? And if we're gonna have no video ref now...they need to be careful otherwise the odd 'Liam Kay' situation will get blown out of proportion. 

And as for Stuart Cummings....well his voice changes watching RL from being an enjoyable experience to a numbing chore. 

8 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

I honestly don't understand what value Sky think they are getting by analysing decisions as deeply as they do? And if we're gonna have no video ref now...they need to be careful otherwise the odd 'Liam Kay' situation will get blown out of proportion. 

And as for Stuart Cummings....well his voice changes watching RL from being an enjoyable experience to a numbing chore. 

The Cummings thing had become absurd. When the ref sends a decision upstairs, the Sky commentators automatically refer to Cummings. 

It inadvertently comes across that Cummings is the quasi-VR, and when he arrives at a different conclusion from the actual VR he looks like a ?

All we need now is the audio like all other common sense broadcasters and Stuart is totally redundant . I’ve never understood the point of having someone second guessing , especially as he’s far from infallible anyway with his ‘ expert ‘ insight . And then there’s classics like ... ‘what he must do is stay infield and get the ball down ... yes , he does ‘

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

All we need now is the audio like all other common sense broadcasters and Stuart is totally redundant . I’ve never understood the point of having someone second guessing , especially as he’s far from infallible anyway with his ‘ expert ‘ insight . And then there’s classics like ... ‘what he must do is stay infield and get the ball down ... yes , he does ‘

I always had the impression that Sky don't broadcast the VR simply because they didn't think of it first. They do like to run with their own ideas, and IIRC Premier Sports were the first do broadcast the VR on their Championship coverage. The BBC then picked it up as well, but Sky decided to be different and went with the thoughts of Stuart Cummings. Far better to actually hear the thoughts of the VR himself.

Archived