Sign in to follow this  
glemiln

Encouraging performance

All quiet on here, for what appears to be a very encouraging performance at Batley to take into the next two crucial games. The squad seems to be settling down at last after all the injuries.

Very timely, given that after the 2 Swinton games we have 8 more of the regular season, 5 away from home, and 6 games against those hoping to contest the top 4 spots. I think we shall need at least 10 points come the Shield to have the chance of avoiding relegation (assuming the RFL reveals the format for next season before it starts!).

Good luck for the Bash and the rematch.

Hornets worked hard and played some good football, very encouraging, it was graft in a blazing sun that sapped my strength (and I was only watching) never mind the players. I think we let ourselves down a little by not playing the hill as well as Batley, I know they are used to it but we seemed to be receiving the ball stood still when we were playing down the slope, we should have been more like our hosts and be receiving the ball in full gallop down the hill. Thanks to the Batley fans, nice people, good atmosphere, nice ale and good food, what more can you ask for on a sunny afternoon, oh yes, a win, never mind......

• Like 1

Here's hoping your fun train people got back safely.

Cheers Roger(Batley Fan).

Yes Roger...eventually. We only lost one, and that was before the game, we did however find a basketball, a souvenir of our trip. Our lost soul eventually turned up back in Rochdale (bad pennies always do ha ha)  . With all the disruption through cancellations we arrived back around tennish, not to bad really. Just hope the Summer Bash isn't to disrupted due to the rail strike on the Saturday, glad we are playing Sunday.

Good Luck for the rest of the season Roger.

I thought we did really well, especially given the heat and the fact we only had 3 props.  We started well going up that hill with good movement and interplay in the middle between Allan and Hatton and I think we kept on the front foot in attack from then on.  Plus, I recon that's the best game I've seen Mitch play for us.  He was breaking or half breaking through their line with almost every carry he took. Batley's number 7 (I think it was the 7) caused us problems in defence.  Without him, I don't think they would have beaten us.  In addition to the forward passes, I think it was their first try came from a blatant obstruction that wasn't given.

I wish we would put a grubber kick in goal more often rather than the cross field kick to Rob though.  It would have killed Batley if we'd have repeatedly forced drop outs rather than give the possession away.

• Like 1

Pity the forward pass was given against us to deny us the try under the post.It was a killer.We would have been just 6 behind and rolling.

5 hours ago, mickhornet said:

Pity the forward pass was given against us to deny us the try under the post.It was a killer.We would have been just 6 behind and rolling.

Pity yes , but it was forward