Shaun Wane Leaving Wigan

Wow. Did not see this coming.

Got to be honest never a biggest fan of his team/style of play, but his passion for Wigan is undeniable. Massive news. Is he going down under?

Does this add fuel to Shaun Edwards returning to League rumours then?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Wow. Did not see this coming.

Got to be honest never a biggest fan of his team/style of play, but his passion for Wigan is undeniable. Massive news. Is he going down under?

Does this add fuel to Shaun Edwards returning to League rumours then?

Harry Stottle called it last week in the Hardaker to Wigan thread. Reckons Ryan Sutton leaving too - both to Catalans. 

There’s been a few rumours and posts on here about the Wigan situation , so it looks like somethings been brewing . You’d think with coaching being so much to him something will be lined up . Following Samkins to try and instill a new disciplined culture there ???

‘’Shaun Wane will leave Wigan Rugby League Club in the knowledge that his place in Wigan’s history is guaranteed. I feel certain that his decision to leave will have been a difficult one but he is a winner who wants to advance his career and challenge himself further on a different stage, having won everything with Wigan." 

Quote from Lenegan suggesting NRL for me. Unless its non-English NH so Catalans, Toulouse even New York???

I'm certainly not surprised and think its been on the cards the last couple of years. A number of fans have been calling for Wane to be shown the door and the team have arguably under performed the last couple of years and have had issues with ill discipline. In some respects he has been lucky to keep his job. I highly suspect this is a mutual decision by Lenegan and Wane rather than just a case of Wane resigning.

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Harry Stottle called it last week in the Hardaker to Wigan thread. Reckons Ryan Sutton leaving too - both to Catalans. 

Its an interesting one. Can see Catalans being instilled with a better, no nonsense culture they've been sorely lacking in recent years under Wane.

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There’s been a few rumours and posts on here about the Wigan situation , so it looks like somethings been brewing . You’d think with coaching being so much to him something will be lined up . Following Samkins to try and instill a new disciplined culture there ???

Will Shaun be happy in the Championship ? 

Well. Cats would certainly  be a challenge. Part of Lenagans restructure plan? Off to Aus? Don't think so. US? There'd need to be lots of money somewhere for that to happen. Just as long as we continue to see his happy, smiling face and boyish good looks.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

‘’Shaun Wane will leave Wigan Rugby League Club in the knowledge that his place in Wigan’s history is guaranteed. I feel certain that his decision to leave will have been a difficult one but he is a winner who wants to advance his career and challenge himself further on a different stage, having won everything with Wigan." 

Quote from Lenegan suggesting NRL for me. Unless its non-English NH so Catalans, Toulouse even New York???

Or does 'on a different stage' mean the Dark Side? (Please don't use this to turn the thread into a cross code bickerfest, it's just a thought!).

Just now, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Or does 'on a different stage' mean the Dark Side? (Please don't use this to turn the thread into a cross code bickerfest, it's just a thought!).

Can't see it happening - doubt he has much if any knowledge of how union teams work and I just can't see why any Union team would take him on (because he would surely be on a half decent packet?)

I think most likely is Catalans - potentially Toronto or NRL but to me I think Toronto aren't as close to SL as they might seem and Wane isn't a good enough coach to do well in the NRL.

You'd imagine Wane would really fancy a crack at the NRL, and would love to see him have a go. But reckon Catalan is possibly his next destination.

But who knows, a few NRL coaches having a tough time of it this season.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Wigan must have a policy that they announce the departure of a player or coach first before the destination club. I would imagine Wane has already signed for another club. Catalans is a strong rumour, Shaun needs his Mickey Mac :smile:

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm certainly not surprised and think its been on the cards the last couple of years. A number of fans have been calling for Wane to be shown the door and the team have arguably under performed the last couple of years and have had issues with ill discipline. In some respects he has been lucky to keep his job. I highly suspect this is a mutual decision by Lenegan and Wane rather than just a case of Wane resigning.

Pretty poor analysis considering massive injuries Wigan have had in last 2 seasons. And look at loads of injuries some clubs have had this season. Currently Wigan's form is as good as it could be. If there is a coach who is under pressure then it's the coach of Leeds. I think Wigan players fans and management have been comfortable with Wane.

The link may be to Toronto. But equally he has been in Australia a few weeks ago... but Aussies seem pretty prejudiced against anything SL. 

Wane is moving of his own volition which is rare. Both Wigan and Wane may be thinking/ worrying about going stale. Is he likely to want to stay for 22 years like Wenger? Wane came from inside so the same thing could be this time. Edwards has clearly got huge top level experience even if it comes from RU, so is an option. The question is to ask who else in SL has a Wigan connection? In the NRL? Could a top name make a move? Would such a name fit in with Wigan? Does Maguire have a release clause from NZ?

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Pretty poor analysis considering massive injuries Wigan have had in last 2 seasons. And look at loads of injuries some clubs have had this season. Currently Wigan's form is as good as it could be. If there is a coach who is under pressure then it's the coach of Leeds. I think Wigan players fans and management have been comfortable with Wane.

The link may be to Toronto. But equally he has been in Australia a few weeks ago... but Aussies seem pretty prejudiced against anything SL. 

Wane is moving of his own volition which is rare. Both Wigan and Wane may be thinking/ worrying about going stale. Is he likely to want to stay for 22 years like Wenger? Wane came from inside so the same thing could be this time. Edwards has clearly got huge top level experience even if it comes from RU, so is an option. The question is to ask who else in SL has a Wigan connection? In the NRL? Could a top name make a move? Would such a name fit in with Wigan? Does Maguire have a release clause from NZ?

In your opinion. I know loads of Wigan fans who have wanted Wane sacked in recent seasons. You seem very pro Shaun Wane, which is up to you, but please don't give the impression that all Wigan fans are because they certainly aren't. Arguably Shaun Wane lived off the back of inheriting a very good team and squad that Maguire had built and all of the structures and back room improvements that Maguire had made. Wane has often talked a good game but has been found lacking on many occasions.

I struggle to see the Shaun Edwards thing tbh . Seems a big punt from left field for someone out the loop so long and untested at this rarified level , whatever the emotional attachment . Things move on quickly 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I struggle to see the Shaun Edwards thing tbh . Seems a big punt from left field for someone out the loop so long , whatever the emotional attachment . Things move on quickly 

Shaun Edwards with the right assistants and support may well happen. Sean O'Loughlin as his assistant, maybe getting someone like Paul Deacon back too as an assistant. The head coach doesn't need to do everything these days. If the right coaching team is in place then there is certainly no reason why it cant be Edwards.

Archived