Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

RL in Primary schools

We didn't have resources for it when i played at Primary school aged 9 in the mid fifties.But it was better than doing maths or history lessons.We used to kick off about 2-30pm and for away matches we used public service buses,seats got a bit dirty sometimes as most matches we just put our clothes on and had a wash or bath if we had one when we got home.Some good pros developed from the teams i played against.

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Are there any resources available for this? Thanks 

If by 'resources' you mean financial grants, a good starting point could be the website of the Directory of Social Change, www.dsc.org.uk.  Amongst other things, you will find there a reference to the latest edition of the 'bible' of professional fundraisers, The Directory of Grant-Making Trusts.  It's not exactly light bedtime reading, at over 800 pages long, but you can interrogate it by category and geographical location, which will save you a lot of wasted effort and heart-break.  At £125 for the current edition, it's not cheap, but one success and you will have recouped your investment.  Amazingly, private grant-making trusts in the UK annually give out over £5 billion in grants, yet many folk have no idea that such bodies even exist.

If £125 seems too steep, try your local reference library (if you have one nearby that is still open!), or your local council of voluntary service.

Hope that helps a bit!

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

We didn't have resources for it when i played at Primary school aged 9 in the mid fifties.But it was better than doing maths or history lessons.We used to kick off about 2-30pm and for away matches we used public service buses,seats got a bit dirty sometimes as most matches we just put our clothes on and had a wash or bath if we had one when we got home.Some good pros developed from the teams i played against.

riveting stuff, and a real meaningful contribution to the thread.

Edited by Celt
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Celt said:

if by "resources" you mean activities/games/coach-related stuff, give this a try:

https://playnrl.com/coach/coaching-activities/

They also produce a mag and small skills booklets that are excellent and easy to carry when you're coaching(pocket size) needless to say the RFL skills certificates and badges were great but I don't think they do them any longer ..........£%$^&$(*&^&%$!

My club has a  coach in a primary school but we work on touch. 

Its non code specific  (but is 6 tackles thankfully) and we are looking to get players to their teens before they need to decide on football or either rugby. 

There are only 2 league clubs in our vicinity and both are volunteer run so it would be hard to get them involved and contributing to entice the players. 

We have a couple of really decent players though so I want to find a home for them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacobus said:

My club has a  coach in a primary school but we work on touch. 

Its non code specific  (but is 6 tackles thankfully) and we are looking to get players to their teens before they need to decide on football or either rugby. 

There are only 2 league clubs in our vicinity and both are volunteer run so it would be hard to get them involved and contributing to entice the players. 

We have a couple of really decent players though so I want to find a home for them. 

Why is it 'non code specific' if it is your RL club who has the coach in place?