Sign in to follow this  
JohnM

Health update.

Should add that I'm not unhappy with what's been done so far. However, because I was taken by ambulance to A and E  to Boston, I now seem locked into United Lincs Hospital who don't have a good reputation overall.  It's just that I'm quite ambitious to be around,  posting on here post-surgery.

Will aim to talk it through with the GP next week.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Should add that I'm not unhappy with what's been done so far. However, because I was taken by ambulance to A and E  to Boston, I now seem locked into United Lincs Hospital who don't have a good reputation overall.  It's just that I'm quite ambitious to be around,  posting on here post-surgery.

Will aim to talk it through with the GP next week.

Don’t worry about whole hospital reputations. For example, Basildon hospital has a poor reputation but is an outstanding heart operation hospital. Your GP will know it as an insider though so ask them the blunt questions. 

• Like 1

Today  had a letter rearranging next Wednesday's appointment with the cardiologist to discuss "work-up to surgery to repair seriously leaking mitral valve" owing to undisclosed unforseen circumstances. " My appointment is now......10th October. I will be telephoning the hospital tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Today  had a letter rearranging next Wednesday's appointment with the cardiologist to discuss "work-up to surgery to repair seriously leaking mitral valve" owing to undisclosed unforseen circumstances. " My appointment is now......10th October. I will be telephoning the hospital tomorrow. 

If you’ve a good relationship with your GP then ask them to intervene if you get no joy, they have ways in that patients can’t access.  

You've probably been bumped down the list for someone who needs immediate treatment against a risk score. They then fit you in where they can so they only have the minimum disruption to the whole waiting list. The system simply fails to recognise that bumping people quite a long time down the list adds lots of extra stress to the patient, it’s there for administrative convenience, not the patients’ needs. 

You just need to convince them that the bumping should shuffle the whole list down, say for you to the week after, rather than bump you to the bottom. 

Look after yourself...

After multiple phone calls, harnessing the the efforts of the Patient Advice and Liaison service,  I was called by the cardiologist secretary this morning with an appointment with the cardiologist for 10th August. 

Then at lunchtime I got a letter from another hospital in another foundation trust with a cardiologist appointment for 14th August. This from a visit i made to their a and e instead of attending the Magic Weekend, prior to my last visit to a and e in Boston. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

After multiple phone calls, harnessing the the efforts of the Patient Advice and Liaison service,  I was called by the cardiologist secretary this morning with an appointment with the cardiologist for 10th August. 

Then at lunchtime I got a letter from another hospital in another foundation trust with a cardiologist appointment for 14th August. This from a visit i made to their a and e instead of attending the Magic Weekend, prior to my last visit to a and e in Boston. 

Does this mean you now have two hearts, neither of which is working?

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Does that mean that he is a real-life Doctor Who?

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You have been looking back at my old AOB posts, I reckon! 😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We're on the way. Confirmed "open heart" surgery for valve replace or repair at Glenfield, Leicester,  probably. More pre-op tests in September:  lung function tests, coronary angiogram.  No date for op yet but hoping for November. 

Setting up the appointments has been a nightmare of coordination, cancellations, delays, re booking at earlier dates, double bookings. Boston Pilgrim operates a Patient Advisory and Liaison Service (PALS) . Their help has been invaluable in coordinating all the compartments involved. When they said they'd do something, they did it. When they said they'd call me back, they called me back.

• Like 4