Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

TotalRL’s 50 best players in the Championship

The Summer Bash is upon us and with that, the Championship gets its chance to shine. The criminal lack of coverage the competition gets on television means the array of talent strutting its stuff in the division doesn’t get the focus it rightfully deserves. However, all 12 teams will have their annual moment in the spotlight this weekend as they…

The post TotalRL’s 50 best players in the Championship appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

• Like 2

This is a great idea, though bound to create waves of arguments!
The panel looks pretty good and representative too.
It will be interesting to see how far they go in terms of including players outside the top 5 or 6 clubs. Rob Massam the first announcement at 50 and no problem with that at all, but will they feel obliged to include at least one player from each club?
I've just tried to jot down my own top 50 and it's not easy.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:34 PM, The Phantom Horseman said:

I ended up with the following number of players for each team in my 50
11 Leigh
11 Toronto
7 Toulouse
5 London
4 Fev
4 Halifax
3 Batley
2 Rochdale
2 Barrow
1 Swinton
0 Dewsbury & Sheffield

Did you pick an order? I'd be interested to hear your top 5/10

9 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Did you pick an order? I'd be interested to hear your top 5/10

Well that was the intention - I wrote out 1-50 and tried to slot people in as I went through each club. Trouble was I quickly filled in places 20-50 before I realised I was underrating plenty.

It was a really difficult task, not so much working out who I wanted in the top 50 but more where they fitted. Take Drew Hutchinson and Martyn Ridyard for instance. based on the Leigh/Fev game at the LSV, Riddy would be a certainty for top 10 and Hutchinson nowhere near the top 50...based on last week's game it would be a different story (acknowledging Riddy was already playing hurt and went off injured). It's not easy when you don't see every game of every club, though the televised Toronto games have helped.

FWIW I think my top 5 would have been something like
1 Jonno Ford
2 Luke Briscoe
3 Mark Kheirallah
4 Gareth O'Brien
5 Peter Mata'utia

but that's 3 full backs in the top 5, all of whom are backs...if I did it again tomorrow I'd probably come up with a different list.

Maybe when I get a bit of time I'll put my list from each club so we can see where it differs from the TotalRL one.

Here's my stab at it...obviously I haven't watched YOUR team as much as you have so will have got plenty wrong, but for better or worse...

Jonathan Ford

Luke Briscoe

Mark Kheirallah

Peter Mata'utia

Gareth O'Brien

Jarrod Sammut

Harrison Hansen

Joe Bullock

Matty Russell

Darcy Lussick

Tom Holmes

Martyn Ridyard

Mark Ioane

Cory Patterson

Craig Hall

Drew Hutchinson

Gareth Hock

Rhys Curran

Quentin Laulu-Togogae

Jamie Acton

Liam Hood

Bob Beswick

Bodene Thompson

Will Sharp

Jay Pitts

Tyler Hepi

William Barthau

James Brown

Bastien Canet

Clement Boyer

Alec Susino

Ben Crooks

Kieren Dixon

Ben Reynolds

Shane Grady

Alex Rowe

Alex Walker

Anthony Marion

Simon Grix

Ryan Brierley

Ashton Sims

Richard Whiting

George Tyson

Liam Kay

Brad Day

Dane Manning

Bastien Ader

Rob Massam

Josh McCrone

Gary Middlehurst

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Here's my stab at it...obviously I haven't watched YOUR team as much as you have so will have got plenty wrong, but for better or worse..

I think that's a pretty solid list to be honest, the only glaring omission from a Leigh fans perspective is Jordan Thompson. 

56 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think that's a pretty solid list to be honest, the only glaring omission from a Leigh fans perspective is Jordan Thompson. 

Leigh the hardest set of players for me to assess as so many of them are new to the Championship this year.

There are a lot of good players about in the Champ. With my Broncos glasses firmly on, I would be surprised if there are fifty better players running around than Api Pewhairangi, Rhys Williams, and Ben Hellewell.

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

There are a lot of good players about in the Champ. With my Broncos glasses firmly on, I would be surprised if there are fifty better players running around than Api Pewhairangi, Rhys Williams, and Ben Hellewell.

Not having those glasses on is the hardest thing when doing a list like this. The TotalRL list included Shaun Robinson and Connor Farrell from my team but I reluctantly left them out; if they aren't in the top four or five players at my club, chances are they don't beloing in the top 50.

The question to ask is not to ask are there 50 better players than these guys, but which ones in the 50 are worse than them, (and which ones, if any, from your own club would you omit to include the three you listed?) .

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Looking again, I reckon James Cunningham was a more erroneous omission on my part than any of the three you mention. I had far too few hookers in my 50 - Cunningham, Ackers and Higham should probably all have been in. Though that's 3 more I would have had to leave out to make room for them.

The TotalRL 50 just has the top 10 to be released now.
None of my top 6 have been included yet so I'll be surprised if they aren't all in the top 10.
They haven't had Ryan Brierley in yet, I'm not his biggest fan so only had him at no.40 but I'll be surprised if he's not in their top 10.
Ridyard and Holmes were 11 and 12 in my list and I think they'll both be in the top 10.
That would leave 1 more place...Bodene Thompson? Ben Crooks? James Brown? Rhys Curran? Someone I've forgotten altogether?

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looking again, I reckon James Cunningham was a more erroneous omission on my part than any of the three you mention. I had far too few hookers in my 50 - Cunningham, Ackers and Higham should probably all have been in. Though that's 3 more I would have had to leave out to make room for them.

The standard of hookers this year is very high. I do find it quite odd that some superleague clubs seem really light in that department when there's probably 6/7 capable of doing a job.