Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

27 May: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Betfred League 1 games here.

SUNDAY 27th MAY
Hemel Stags v Bradford Bulls KO 2pm
Hunslet v West Wales Raiders KO 3pm 
Keighley Cougars v London Skolars KO 3pm
North Wales Crusaders v Coventry Bears KO 2.30pm
Whitehaven v York City Knights KO 3pm
Workington Town v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

SUNDAY 27th MAY

Hemel Stags 0-86 Bradford Bulls 
Hunslet 58-6 West Wales Raiders  
Keighley Cougars 44-14 London Skolars 
North Wales Crusaders 44-10 Coventry Bears 
Whitehaven 14-30 v York City Knights 
Workington Town 20-20Newcastle Thunder 

Edited by Moscow01

1 minute ago, Moscow01 said:

SUNDAY 27th MAY

hard to argue with those.....

I’d be very disappointed if town don’t beat Newcastle at home . Penkywicz back makes a massive difference , he is proving really pivotal at this level for us , taking pressure off Doran . Pains me to say it , but whoever goes to haven gets a tough ride so I think that will be a test for York . The rest are pretty straightforward 

28 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Discuss all this weekend's Betfred League 1 games here.

SUNDAY 27th MAY
Hemel Stags 6 v 56 Bradford Bulls KO 2pm
Hunslet 42 v  8 West Wales Raiders KO 3pm 
Keighley Cougars 24 v 19 London Skolars KO 3pm
North Wales Crusaders 38 v 12 Coventry Bears KO 2.30pm
Whitehaven 22 v  28 York City Knights KO 3pm
Workington Town 24 v 26 Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

All the above predictions seem pretty spot on other than i'd say Workington who I think will beat Newcastle by 10 or12.

Hemel Stags 6 v Bradford Bulls 58
Hunslet 62 v West Wales Raiders 10
Keighley Cougars 32 v London Skolars 24
North Wales Crusaders 28 v Coventry Bears 12
Whitehaven 18 v York City Knights 24
Workington Town 22 v Newcastle Thunder 16

Not able to make it up to North Wales this year which I'm a bit gutted about. Really enjoyed last year and they do the best beer in the league 👍Bears beat North Wales last year so think it'll be a close game. Bears have performed well in patches and if they can put an 80 minute performance together they'll have a great chance of getting a result. 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Not able to make it up to North Wales this year which I'm a bit gutted about. Really enjoyed last year and they do the best beer in the league 👍Bears beat North Wales last year so think it'll be a close game. Bears have performed well in patches and if they can put an 80 minute performance together they'll have a great chance of getting a result. 

Nah, it's our up week this week, 20-point win for Cru, sorry ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

SUNDAY 27th MAY

My predictions.

Hemel Stags 10-82 Bradford Bulls

Hunslet 64-0 West Wales Radiers

Keighley Cougers 52-26 London Skolors

North Wales Crusaders 32-30 Coventry Bears

Whitehaven 18-42 York City knights

Workington Town 28-16 Newcastle Thunder.

Bradford (definitely a hide behind the sofa job, after Hemel leaked 90 last week), Hunslet, Keighley, Crusaders, York, Worky. Incidentally, has Oldham - Donny scheduled for this weekend been played?

17 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Bradford (definitely a hide behind the sofa job, after Hemel leaked 90 last week), Hunslet, Keighley, Crusaders, York, Worky. Incidentally, has Oldham - Donny scheduled for this weekend been played?

Being played 3rd June,I think.

If York have had all their dual reg players from Hull KR made unavailable,then I think predictions of them winning at Whitehaven may prove to be incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If York have had all their dual reg players from Hull KR made unavailable,then I think predictions of them winning at Whitehaven may prove to be incorrect.

Eh?

Whitehaven is a tough place to go regardless of the team we take. If we lose it won't be because we haven't got any DR players. Same as if we win it won't be because we have 2 DR players.

We played Super League Catalans without any DR players and only lost by 12 points. We beat Championship Swinton on neutral ground without any DR players. We won at Doncaster without any DR players.

Lazy comment to make AC.

• Like 6

Whitehaven aren’t the same side as last season. They only scraped past London Skolars in the Challenge Cup and lost to North Wales Crusaders a fortnight ago. 

If York are anywhere near their best they should win by a cosy 18 points I reckon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Theres only one player who has been on D/R in the last few weeks at York in the Rovers squad, York will have a few players coming back after been rested or injured.

14 hours ago, FearNothing said:

hard to argue with those.....

I'm sure some on this forum would have no problem ☺️ , but I'm with you on that point. 

• Like 1

Town v Newcastle is a tough one to call , both under perform at times but both capable on their day . tie of the round .

• Like 1

Some intriguing games.

Apart from a heavy defeat to Workington Hemel have performed better at home - just a 14 point defeat to Hunslet, 6 point defeat to Coventry and London. Can they keep the Bradford score respectable?

I fancy Hunslet to get a few against West Wales, maybe 80 or so, they were on fire against York from the 30th minute and followed that up with a big win at Doncaster, so I'm surprised people are only tipping Hunslet to 'only'score between 40 and 60ish.

Will be interesting to see if York can finally put to rest the Cumbrian hoodoo, never an easy place to go at the best of times. Also can London follow up a marked improvement or will Keighley run riot again at Cougar Park.

I'm going for:

Hemel Stags 6-70 Bradford Bulls 
Hunslet 82-6 West Wales Raiders  
Keighley Cougars 58-20 London Skolars 
North Wales Crusaders 30-10 Coventry Bears 
Whitehaven 14-25 York City Knights 
Workington Town 24-18 Newcastle Thunder 

Edited by AB Knight

15 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Theres only one player who has been on D/R in the last few weeks at York in the Rovers squad, York will have a few players coming back after been rested or injured.

Everyone plays by the same rules , like it or not . It’s funny that only when a team is doing really well does it attract pointed comment . But no point being hypocritical about it . No one gets special dispensation. And having DR as we and others have seen isn’t a panacea , it can work both ways in a squad . To have success you still need good players , good coaching , the right attitude and the right team spirit . On York specifically , when you look at where they were and what James Ford has done there in a short time it’s nothing short of amazing , and the whole club deserves nothing  but credit for what they’re doing there 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Some intriguing games.

I fancy Hunslet to get a few against West Wales, maybe 80 or so, they were on fire against York from the 30th minute and followed that up with a big win at Doncaster, so I'm surprised people are only tipping Hunslet to 'only'score between 40 and 60ish.

Im sure your right about an easy win for Hunslet.

I do wonder however whether that win at Doncaster was because they are that good or was it that the recall if of the Hull FC DR's came back to bite Donny on the bum?.

I wiil admit to a bit of schadenfruede that Doncaster lost after drafting in the HFC players the week before v W. Wales.

Looking forward to this Sunday at Pennine Way; Hemel have made an effort to make it an 'event' and there will be a big away contingent so it should make for a good buzz. 

Worried about the scoreline of course - I hope Hemel can hold them to less than a point a minute.

It'll also be a sad day - my first Hemel game since my old pal Rascal Bongo Stork (a poster on this forum) passed away at far too young an age. I'll be raising a glass to him.

• Like 11

On 24 May 2018 at 1:05 PM, Bearman said:

Im sure your right about an easy win for Hunslet.

I do wonder however whether that win at Doncaster was because they are that good or was it that the recall if of the Hull FC DR's came back to bite Donny on the bum?.

I wiil admit to a bit of schadenfruede that Doncaster lost after drafting in the HFC players the week before v W. Wales.

I just think any team coming away from the Keepmoat with such a commanding scoreline have done well regardless of whether Doncaster were struggling with injuries, lack of DR players etc. West Wales have improved a little lately but not enough to stay close to Hunslet...I mean one poster has predicted Hunslet to only win by 34!

Saying that there's a reason I'm not a betting man and haven't done too well on my predictions this weekend, I tipped Cas to draw on Thursdat!