John Drake

26-27 May: The Betfred Championship Summer Bash Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Summer Bash games here.

SATURDAY 26th MAY
All at Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm (TV)
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers KO 5.15pm (TV)
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions KO 7.30pm (TV)

SUNDAY 27th MAY
All at Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos KO 1pm (TV)
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions KO 3.15pm (TV)
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams KO 5.30pm (TV)

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles By 14
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers By 8
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions By 12

Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos By 2
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions  By 10
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams By 8

Probably the most interesting week of the season to date. Hopefully being on TV it will show how great championship rugby can be. I think this is where Leigh show how strong they are. A Fev win would put us in a good position with easier games to come over the next few weeks than the other top sides.

• Like 1

Sheffield Eagles by 8
Halifax by 20 
Leigh Centurions by 12

Toulouse Olympique by 10
Rochdale Hornets by 4
Batley Bulldogs by 10

• Like 1

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles By 2

Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos By 7
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions  By 7

important match for Toulouse. BTW, why are we facing 3 times London in the regular season? Round 8, now round 15 and also round 20 ??

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles by 6
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers by 12
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions by 6
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos by 10
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions by 8
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams by 12

• Like 1

Just now, Fabou said:

important match for Toulouse. BTW, why are we facing 3 times London in the regular season? Round 8, now round 15 and also round 20 ??

Magic Weekend and Summer bash are the 23rd games for their respective  leagues so it messes things up by having an extra fixture. We play Leigh 3 times, everyone plays one team 3 times. It makes no sense as you can have a top team play a bottom team and get an easy 2 points while your competitors for the top might be playing each other...see St Helns vs Widnes and Warrongton vs. Wigan. If the Saints win the league leaders shield by 2 points it will be because they got the freebie of the magic weekend.

The weekend is  a good concept but it has to be part of the 22 games. Teams that lose a home game due to it can maybe be compensated with a set amount and its rotated each year who loses the home fixture?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krzzystuff said:

Magic Weekend and Summer bash are the 23rd games for their respective  leagues

The weekend is  a good concept but it has to be part of the 22 games.

ooo alright then!

yes agreed!

9 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

The weekend is  a good concept but it has to be part of the 22 games. Teams that lose a home game due to it can maybe be compensated with a set amount and its rotated each year who loses the home fixture?

I agree! It doesn't look quite as bad in the championship since the top teams are playing each other and the bottom teams are playing each other.  The original idea behind it was to play your main rival; Saints v Wigan, Leeds v Bradford, Wakefield v Cas etc and teams would not have liked missing out on one of the best home games hence the extra fixture. I've seen it been suggested that the fixtures should be 1v2, 3v4 etc which would make it slightly fairer but the fixtures would still be uneven.

• Like 1

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles  - by 2
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers  - by 6
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions  - by 14
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos  - by 10
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions  - by 2
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Ram  - by 10

• Like 1

Details of Video Ref Trial - looks good and simple to me. Will hopefully speed the whole thing up

32616A31-5B35-4DDE-B7E4-D51C15DDEB74.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Details of Video Ref Trial - looks good and simple to me. Will hopefully speed the whole thing up

They sound like a good step forward, how long before the fans complain when an obstruction or tackle in the air is missed by the onfield ref though!

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

They sound like a good step forward, how long before the fans complain when an obstruction or tackle in the air is missed by the onfield ref though!

That’s fine. More ownership on referees will improve the actual spectical on offer. Most of the obstructions that get tries disallowed happen earlier down the field and nobody bats an eyelid when not given

2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Magic Weekend and Summer bash are the 23rd games for their respective  leagues so it messes things up by having an extra fixture. We play Leigh 3 times, everyone plays one team 3 times. It makes no sense as you can have a top team play a bottom team and get an easy 2 points while your competitors for the top might be playing each other...see St Helns vs Widnes and Warrongton vs. Wigan. If the Saints win the league leaders shield by 2 points it will be because they got the freebie of the magic weekend.

How do you decide who losses a home fixture. 

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

29 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I like most of those changes apart from not looking at foul play. With that I’d do something similar to what happens in the NRL. Where the VR only give a penalty if the offence is serious enough to go on report. I’d tweek that slightly and only step in on red or yellow card offences. 

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

How do you decide who losses a home fixture. 

a coin toss would work or because it is the tech age maybe a random selection in excel? After its done the 1st time the you already know who's losing it next year with the only changes coming for the newly promoted teams being part of the coin toss or excel macro.

I know...it's magic!! :wizard:

Just now, bobbruce said:

I like most of those changes apart from not looking at foul play. With that I’d do something similar to what happens in the NRL. Where the VR only give a penalty if the offence is serious enough to go on report. I’d tweek that slightly and only step in on red or yellow card offences. 

agree, have a review for a card but that's all.

overall a great sign that they have listened to the complaints and are looking at making changes.

Barrow by 6

fev by 10

Leigh by 8

london by 10

Rochdale by 8

Batley by 6

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah can see that. I’m just glad they’ve identified a problem and are attempting to fix it. 

Maybe get the technical game stuff right first. Then the foul play can come later

I agree Mick. Taking away offside,foul play,the Refs first opinion,challenges in the air and 40/20s removes the need for a VR. 

As the games are televised the viewers will see blatant mistakes being made that destroy the integrity of the result. No VR but match on TV just means we have to get on with it, but VR and TV but ignore is a recipe for disaster in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fabou said:

Same reason we  play fax 3 times, everyone has to play someone 3 times

Edited by MADREDNIGE
  • Like 1

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles Barrow by 6
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers Fev by 8
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions Toronto by 10
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos London by 2
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions Rochdale by 4
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams Batley by 6

• Like 1

Barrow Raiders  - by 12

Featherstone Rovers  - by 6