Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

26-27 May: The Betfred Championship Summer Bash Match Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Attendance announced as 7,877

Deserved more. 2 very close games...drama, good football, controversy. Looking forward to tomorrow now

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good day's Rugby overall, great weather, and a crowd that sounded louder than it sometimes looked. I hope everyone there had a great time, and that tomorrow will also deliver entertainment.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Do you think it was horrendous that the players didn't notice, either?

Eddie kept saying that, but McCrone was clearly telling the ref to look at the replay when the ref was forming the scrum.


I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

The Leigh kicker misses an easy pot as TWP leap in the air to attempt to block it's flightpath (is that legal?).

Would love to see that kick again.....anyone got a recording to put on here or Youtube? Normally,defending teams are static and passive when an opponent takes a place kick for goal.

From http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules/laws_of_the_game/penalty_kick

Position of Players 3. Players of the kicker’s team must be behind the ball when it is kicked.
Players of the team opposing the kicker shall retire to their own goal line or ten metres or more from the mark towards their own goal line and shall not make any attempt to interfere with or distract the attention of the kicker.
They may advance after the ball has been kicked.

And, http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules/laws_of_the_game/scoring

Not to distract kicker It is illegal to attempt to distract the attention of a player who is kicking at goal.

Just curious if any distraction happened. Not that it will change the outcome,but interesting to know if it was within the rules or another grey area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Eddie kept saying that, but McCrone was clearly telling the ref to look at the replay when the ref was forming the scrum.

Must admit i didnt see that. 


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Must admit i didnt see that. 

Given McCrone's recent record, he might have suffered from 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome.


I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leigh lost that game moreso than TWP won it, bad game management and use of substitutions when Leigh were 26 - 12 up, heard rumours on the way home that there was a fracas between two member's of the opposing coaching teams on the pitch with a head butt involved after the final whistle!  

Edited by Harry Stottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh lost that game moreso than TWP won it, bad game management and use of substitutions when Leigh were 26 - 12 up, heard rumours on the way home that there was a fracas between two member's of the opposing coaching teams on the pitch with a head butt involved after the final whistle!  

Loss of Bailey early on hurt you guys. Lost energy and looked tired with 15 to go. A hitherto disciplined and well-organised defence began to struggle then. Sinbinning didn't help.

Was a fracas, but definitely no headbutt. Acton got involved between Rowley and Purtill. Difficult to tell who was at fault. Can guess of course...but Acton came a long way to get involved when the 2 coaches were merely talking. Something probably said, but not sure he could have heard.

Reynolds seemed convinced that kick was good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh lost that game moreso than TWP won it, bad game management and use of substitutions when Leigh were 26 - 12 up, heard rumours on the way home that there was a fracas between two member's of the opposing coaching teams on the pitch with a head butt involved after the final whistle!  

Ryan Brierly is tweeting about some aggro at the buses.  Sounds rather unsavoury.

(Hopefully Gene Ormsby had left the ground, last thing a seemingly tense situation needed was him charging around punching thin air).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again the judge gets it massively wrong when nominating his 4 mom candidates, McCrone was absolutely horrendous in that game and wtf is the go with Sky commentators creaming themselves over Matautia ?


Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have loved to have seen the missed kick from behind the sticks. We all thought it had gone over.

What is it with Rowley and aggro? He really is a bufoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I would have loved to have seen the missed kick from behind the sticks. We all thought it had gone over.

What is it with Rowley and aggro? He really is a bufoon. 

Yes watching on Sky, and being someone who watches a lot of Rugby of both codes, Ive seen Kicks missed and given and vice versa , made but not given. (Pat Richards for Catalans put a conversion over in 2016, but it wasn't given in a home game, when it would have made in 34-34 with a few min left)

For Me Reynolds got that, and surely it should have been TMO. I was gutted for Leigh.  

On the basis of this game, and seeing how SL is shaping up I can see these two doing well in the Middle 8s, and fighting to be 3-5 and either get the Magic 3rd place and up or end up in the MPG. 

I feel whoever of Cats/Hudds/Wakey/Hull KR ends up in the 8s is fine for top 2. Salford look MPG game material or worse. Widnes might find a little form in the 8s, and end up in the MPG or somehow scrape 3rd. Basically 6 strong teams in the 8s, the last 2 will take a few hammerings once the squad depth hits. Hope TO can make it for the 8s, along with London. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

That’s not their job tho, is it?

So why do so many of them spend 79 minutes a game telling the ref what to do?

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

For Me Reynolds got that, and surely it should have been TMO. I was gutted for Leigh.  

Not an option unfortunately, presumably as the different camera angles create more doubt if nothing else as has been the case in the past. The video ref yesterday could only be used to check the grounding which I think is the future but that’s another topic. We were sat in the corner so were initially reliant on the reaction of the crowd. Odd for so many people to think it’s gone over if that wasn’t the case, but similarly there was one in the first half then people thought had missed but was given. When it comes down to it, the touch judges are all very experienced in their field and you’ve got to go with their judgement, although I will say they weren’t helped in their job by what look to be some VERY short goalposts compared to other stadiums. 

Very entertaining game played with tremendous intensity and it looks like it’ll be a real cracker when the two teams meet in Toronto at the end of June. Could be a scenario where we’ll be going over there desperate for a win depending on how we fare away to Toulouse a fortnight earlier. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Leigh let that slip , for me they deserved to win . Acton , who for all his muscle can be a liability at times , gave away a pen then made an error and Toronto scored and then the momentum seemed to shift . Another error and try and Leigh found it hard to get a grip again . But they’d dominated for most of the time until then . Every time I see Reynolds I’m impressed , he really has a go and is involved in everything . Gutted for him he missed that kick , least they deserved . Big big call on the goal line to totally miss the knock on then offside - that would have been a chance under the posts . Great advert for the champ though , and sky seemed to like it  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not an option unfortunately, presumably as the different camera angles create more doubt if nothing else as has been the case in the past. The video ref yesterday could only be used to check the grounding which I think is the future but that’s another topic. We were sat in the corner so were initially reliant on the reaction of the crowd. Odd for so many people to think it’s gone over if that wasn’t the case, but similarly there was one in the first half then people thought had missed but was given. When it comes down to it, the touch judges are all very experienced in their field and you’ve got to go with their judgement, although I will say they weren’t helped in their job by what look to be some VERY short goalposts compared to other stadiums. 

Very entertaining game played with tremendous intensity and it looks like it’ll be a real cracker when the two teams meet in Toronto at the end of June. Could be a scenario where we’ll be going over there desperate for a win depending on how we fare away to Toulouse a fortnight earlier. 

the crowd behind the sticks definitely celebrated it missing,  surely they had the best view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dkw said:

the crowd behind the sticks definitely celebrated it missing,  surely they had the best view. 

I meant the reaction of the Leigh fans at the other end looking square on to it which of course is a good distance away (though not THAT far, for fans of standard pitch sizes!) but still not a bad indication necessarily. The tower end was more of a gathering than a crowd so there wasn’t much of a reaction to gauge ? 

As I said, can’t say fairer than going with the TJ anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dkw said:

the crowd behind the sticks definitely celebrated it missing,  surely they had the best view. 

To be fair, there weren't many people sympathetic to Leigh at that end.

I was stood right behind the sticks at ground level, I honestly didn't know if it was good or not.  But I celebrated anyway?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

To be fair, there weren't many people sympathetic to Leigh at that end.

I was stood right behind the sticks at ground level, I honestly didn't know if it was good or not.  But I celebrated anyway?

Ha ha, fair point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...