Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

25 May: SL: Widnes Vikings v Wakefield Trinity KO 8pm

Who will win?  

12 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Widnes Vikings
      7
    • Wakefield Trinity
      5
    • Draw
      0

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/25/2018 at 07:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Interesting encounter for me. Widnes showed against Leeds & Saints that we’ve got the makings of a decent team

However when we come against our “rivals” that all goes out of the window

Comes down to Betts team selections, and tactics If he picks a hooker at half back again with a half back in the stands we won’t win. I like Heremaia but he slowed things down on Saturday, made two soft knock ons and it was his dodgy pass that gifted Grace (I think) the try at the end. It’s one season too many for him

Edited by Spidey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I think the ipitch will swing this Widnes way by 8 points

I still find it amazing that opposition fans think the iPitch is some sort of advantage to Widnes - just look at the results over the past few years. Widnes have lost more games on it than won. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Not expecting much tbh.

Think Wakefield will be too big, too fast and too strong.

You could certainly do to start winning again mate, Wakey might be too big, fast and strong but what other advantage do they have?

44 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I still find it amazing that opposition fans think the iPitch is some sort of advantage to Widnes - just look at the results over the past few years. Widnes have lost more games on it than won. 

Could the fact that Widnes haven't been very good over the past few years have summat to do with that statistic?

Hope they turn it around tomorrow neet.

Chemics 18 Trin 16.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Could the fact that Widnes haven't been very good over the past few years have summat to do with that statistic?

Hope they turn it around tomorrow neet.

Chemics 18 Trin 16.

 

Yeah. We’ve been rubbish, but with a so called advantage you’d maybe expect a couple more wins for Widnes - which have not been forthcoming.  Only Leeds have struggled consistently there for whatever reason (until the Cup, but they were less than convincing)

We play them this week then again next month - two wins for Widnes would drag Wakey into that bottom group of strugglers. The more in that group the better for us, if Wakey win those games I think they’ll be okay

 

Edited by Spidey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wakey did enough in first half. Surprised they didn’t get a try or three in second with the amount of ball Widnes continued to cough up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2018 at 5:26 PM, Spidey said:

Interesting encounter for me. Widnes showed against Leeds & Saints that we’ve got the makings of a decent team

However when we come against our “rivals” that all goes out of the window

Comes down to Betts team selections, and tactics If he picks a hooker at half back again with a half back in the stands we won’t win. I like Heremaia but he slowed things down on Saturday, made two soft knock ons and it was his dodgy pass that gifted Grace (I think) the try at the end. It’s one season too many for him

Quoting myself. Just disappointed things turned out exactly as predicted

Heremaia at HB doesn’t work. He tries to do everything and messes up half the time and far too slow

Im not exactly sure why Betts signed Albert. He’s an exciting player that actually can be a bit unpredictable. Today he played 10 mins in first half and the last 5. For a prop that’s not many minutes. Especially when our team had no go forward. What Betts game plan for him is a mystery. I’d be packing my bags and going back to PNG to actually play a bit of rugby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening on the radio Trin sounded horrific at times in the 2nd half seemingly unable to complete any sets whatsoever, but as stated stated elsewhere, Widnes gave it back to them. It sounded though that Widnes had plenty of possession but the Trin defence held firm with young Jowitt at FB sounding particularly impressive.

 

Hopefully this will lift the pressure on the lads & Chester will stop tinkering with the team on a weekly basis & give this line up a few games to settle, injuries aside.

Edited by Morris Wanchuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a convincing win for Trinity but much needed.

Pleased for Jowitt as he was superb, he must start at FB for the rest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are utterly dreadful, the side that took the field last night would struggle in the championship.

Whoever thought this squad could be competitive in this league is deluded.

Far too small across the board, no one with any speed, no one with any nous.

We struggle with the absolute basics, passing, handling, tackling, even playing the ball.

Yet nothing changes, nor is it likely to under the current regime.

Last night was the clubs lowest ever Super league attendance.

It will only last one game.

The only thing that kept me there till the end last night was I wanted to boo them off.

We are a joke!!

 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

We are utterly dreadful, the side that took the field last night would struggle in the championship.

Whoever thought this squad could be competitive in this league is deluded.

Far too small across the board, no one with any speed, no one with any nous.

We struggle with the absolute basics, passing, handling, tackling, even playing the ball.

Yet nothing changes, nor is it likely to under the current regime.

Last night was the clubs lowest ever Super league attendance.

It will only last one game.

The only thing that kept me there till the end last night was I wanted to boo them off.

We are a joke!!

You're certainly doing it tough at the minute mate, really feel for the likes of you, chuffer and the rest of the decent Chemics' lot on here, hopefully better times will be along soon.

Don't forget...

"Rugby League, you'll never leave!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game was an awful standard for a supposed top level professional sport!

Wakefield were clearly better than Widnes, who looked a shadow of the team that took on Sts in Newcastle, but don’t let that con you into thinking Trinity are back on track.

The 2pts are very welcome and keep us back in the hunt for a top 8 finish but my god we are playing poorly as a team. Individual efforts are getting us some success against the other poor teams but we won’t beat the big guns unless they turn up in a complacent mood with a poor attitude like Sts did a few weeks ago.

Jowitt did really well at Full Back but he’s got to prove he can do it consistently, match to match. Hampshire had us looking sharper with the ball, he needs to be left at halfback and allowed to develop his game there. Batchelor also needs some faith from the coach, he’s better than Kirmond, Horo and as good as the others so leave him in the starting line up and let him fulfil his potential.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

The game was an awful standard for a supposed top level professional sport!

Wakefield were clearly better than Widnes, who looked a shadow of the team that took on Sts in Newcastle, but don’t let that con you into thinking Trinity are back on track.

The 2pts are very welcome and keep us back in the hunt for a top 8 finish but my god we are playing poorly as a team. Individual efforts are getting us some success against the other poor teams but we won’t beat the big guns unless they turn up in a complacent mood with a poor attitude like Sts did a few weeks ago.

Jowitt did really well at Full Back but he’s got to prove he can do it consistently, match to match. Hampshire had us looking sharper with the ball, he needs to be left at halfback and allowed to develop his game there. Batchelor also needs some faith from the coach, he’s better than Kirmond, Horo and as good as the others so leave him in the starting line up and let him fulfil his potential.

 

 

I have to say I agree with all of that.

I just hope the team took some confidence from the win and can kick on with much better performances from now on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

You're certainly doing it tough at the minute mate, really feel for the likes of you, chuffer and the rest of the decent Chemics' lot on here, hopefully better times will be along soon.

Don't forget...

"Rugby League, you'll never leave!"

I've already give up going away Rob, I just burn £30 - £60 instead depending on where we are playing.

The suffering is over a lot quicker that way.

Will see out this season at home but only because I am a ticket holder.

After that, if nothing changes that's it for me.

I am no longer willing to chuck good money after bad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really depressing being a Widnes fan at the moment.

The team seem clueless and I reckon Betts may have "lost" the dressing room. It's ok raising your game for Leeds and Saints, and losing, but we can't raise our game against similar opposition, which matters more.

Our new signings over the last couple of years have been uninspiring, Inu apart.

We have a Club who's sole purpose seems to be running as a business, not a Sports Club.

You have to speculate to accumulate, but our Directors are unwilling to do it.

I fear the worst, and if we're relegated we'll never get back in with Clubs like Toronto on the horizon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

You're certainly doing it tough at the minute mate, really feel for the likes of you, chuffer and the rest of the decent Chemics' lot on here, hopefully better times will be along soon.

Don't forget...

"Rugby League, you'll never leave!"

Cheers OF....with widnes its the bloody hope that kills you...if we were ###### all the time then fair enough, relegate us, we'll rebuild etc etc....but sometimes we show glimpses of being competative, enthusiastic, skillful even....then we blow it all with a poor 2nd half performance, running out of gas or making pathetic basic errors....honestly dont know what is the best way forward....we need the fans to come back to generate money to stay in SL....i suspect the only way that will happen is if we have a big shake up and ditch betts (and prob rule) ....nb i dont blame betts for our current predicament but he makes a convenient fall guy for the fans....as i said in another thread we are a victim of our own fans' apathy....steve oconnor did his bit and got us back into super league....its up to the town to decide if we are to stay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday