Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

A great gesture by The Doc

Wow, just casually donated a few million. 

How much actually was the debt? 

I was under the impression the club's debt was in the region of £8million of which £5million was owed to Marwan.  Although I stand to be corrected!

Doesn’t look good, the club are obviously struggling, and like many not getting the fans thru the turnstiles. Without a sugar daddy, they are really going to struggle.

HW

I see it as him having held out getting his money back from any potential purchaser/investor, which has actually put people off getting involved. But it doesn’t make clear how much is owed directly to him or what has been borrowed by the club him being the bank of last resort. 

Whatever, it looks pretty difficult for the club if the intention is to collaborate with supporters to generate ideas to fund raise. I don’t think £200,000 extra a year share from SL funds is going to make much of an impact. 

Time to think the unthinkable perhaps?

Fair play to him. Now up to the current board and fans to get on board or see their club collapse. Don’t think he could have done anymore, he left as fans told him he was the problem he’s done his bit up to them to to theirs

Read on SkySports he was also willing to donate cash to try and sign Matty Smith & Martyn Russell, but both fell through. 

• Like 1

He has already put his hand in his pocket a couple of times this year I believe, and I think he has tried to do it as matched funds, to try and get the Salford fans to support the club.

For some reason they don't seem to want to in any great numbers.

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He has already put his hand in his pocket a couple of times this year I believe, and I think he has tried to do it as matched funds, to try and get the Salford fans to support the club.

For some reason they don't seem to want to in any great numbers.

Looks like he was the convienient excuse for the stayaways. He’s gone and they haven’t come back

I hear the same from Widnes fans about both our current CEO and Coach

Punters nowadays on the whole just want winning results - but won’t admit that

• Like 1

I will say I'm suprised and impressed. Didn't see this coming. He clearly cares. It's a shame Salford can't get higher crowds and support the team. They sold a fair few tickets for their semi final in the CC last year but can't get those fans for their league games. 

I think a move to a smaller more appropriate stadium would help them as 2500 in a small 4000 stadium looks alot better than 2500 ratling about a big 12000 ground. 

I think, despite him having butted heads with many people in the game while he owned the club, and not getting his way on some of his ideas, he did seem to have enjoyed the experience overall, and retained a fondness for Salford.

While some sour-spirited types might say he's only done it because he had virtually no chance of repayment, he has made the first move, and removed one of the financial and mental burdens from the new regime.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Looks like he was the convienient excuse for the stayaways. He’s gone and they haven’t come back

I hear the same from Widnes fans about both our current CEO and Coach

Punters nowadays on the whole just want winning results - but won’t admit that

On the whole, punters do.  

He was certain they would never merge to make a Manchester team.  Maybe now is the time?

I am sure this reads well, but I thought he agreed to transfer the club debt free. Basically he has agreed not to ask for payment of a debt that he knows can't be paid anyway.

More smoke and mirrors for me.

can't help but think I am watching the slow and painful death of my club.

Edited by Red Willow

14 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I am sure this reads well, but I thought he agreed to transfer the club debt free. Basically he has agreed to to ask payment of a debt that he knows can't be paid.

can't help but think I am watching the slow and painful death of my club.

Are there any quotes where he said he would leave the club debt-free? I understand your cynicism as the club is currently worse off than it was when he joined, but I dont see any reference to him leaving no debt.

5 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Koukash always tried to do the right thing. He was often a little misguided but saw what the problems were at Salford but often found himself banging his head against brickwalls at the RFL, council/peel and the Salford fans themselves.

That's not to apportion blame. Just to explain the challenges he faced. 

Salford look spent to me. Sadly. Koulash threw no money at them and it didn't even stem the negative tide. I just can't see a way out for them. I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by scotchy1

Depending on the small print it looks like a great gesture from the Doc

Watching him when his horse won the Chester Cup last week he seems a genuine sports enthusiast and the good people of Salford may come to regret looking the gift horse in the mouth etc

His manner may have upset some but I hope he is not lost to the game. Someone willing to float and debate new ideas (whether or not they are viable) never does any harm to any organisation and I hope he gets involved somewhere else

Sadly Salford's problems seem deep rooted. The move away from the Willows didnt help and took away some of the identity. I do fear for them but hopefully if this chunk of debt is removed it may buy them some time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Depending on the small print it looks like a great gesture from the Doc

Watching him when his horse won the Chester Cup last week he seems a genuine sports enthusiast and the good people of Salford may come to regret looking the gift horse in the mouth etc

His manner may have upset some but I hope he is not lost to the game. Someone willing to float and debate new ideas (whether or not they are viable) never does any harm to any organisation and I hope he gets involved somewhere else

Sadly Salford's problems seem deep rooted. The move away from the Willows didnt help and took away some of the identity. I do fear for them but hopefully if this chunk of debt is removed it may buy them some time.

Probably Koukash' biggest flaw was his inexperience at the start and he went piling in and making himself look a bit silly. Once he calmed down a touch he did some good stuff and made some really nice gestures and came across as a decent bloke, but by that time he had come to realise that Salford were probably a lost cause.

It will be interesting to see if he pops up anywhere else. The obvious suggestions of Bradford, London or Cumbria all have massive challenges, and Im not sure he'd be so keen to throw more millions at such a risky option.

Agreed I think he was rash at the start. Salford signed some has beens and didnt deliver on promises whilst upsetting a lot along the way. He seemed to interfere a lot and high profile disputes with players were not helpful

Like you say the last couple of seasons he seems to have settled down but was stuck with what he had.

Could be interesting if he pops up elsewhere but one bitten twice shy ? 

His relatively short sojourn in RL cost him millions. For someone who started with nothing, it can be a challenge to ever get that start out of your psyche. Often the self made wealthy are not that generous (I'm not saying never, but as a generalisation). In that sense his generosity is the more meritorious. 

• Like 1

Salford’s problems are the same as most in the SL. Diminishing crowds for non exclusive and uneventful fixtures. The Dr couldnt fix that on his own.

The Dr was a bit brash and a bit of a loud mouth, but he was good for the game in my opinion. Shame to lose him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The statement on the SRD website includes other details, with the club's new board in active discussions with the Supporters Trust regarding fan ownership structures. Could well end up like the German football clubs, where ownership is split 50/50 between the supporters and private investors. That's a model I like for a variety of reasons and - from the outside - it looks like Salford's best way forward if they cannot rely on one individual to pump money in. I wish them luck.

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

The statement on the SRD website includes other details, with the club's new board in active discussions with the Supporters Trust regarding fan ownership structures. Could well end up like the German football clubs, where ownership is split 50/50 between the supporters and private investors. That's a model I like for a variety of reasons and - from the outside - it looks like Salford's best way forward if they cannot rely on one individual to pump money in. I wish them luck.

The whole ownership of a club has never sat well with me in the first place. The whole concept defies definition.

The German football version of minimum fan ownership of 51% is as low you can go if you want to retain “club” status. Otherwise you are simply supporting a franchise no different from Sainsbury’s, Vodafone and ASDA.

• Like 1

The thing that stuck out for me was that he was going to match the 2nd-half season ticket sales for the club - that is actively giving them a short-term boost (if they can shift some tickets).... over to you, new SRD owners....

If Salford have it in writing that marwan has written off the £5m+ debt....then fair enough,that's a massive debt removed from the necks of Salford.....but get the lawyers on it and make sure it's 200% written off...

And Salford would do well to start distancing themselves from koukash...I know it's tempting to keep sucking on his teat...but nothing comes for free...get his "donations" down as "sponsorship" have "marwan racing" on the jerseys...or name Marwan are "18th man" in return for his "donation"....just don't blindly accept it...keep it legit !