Chris Hamilton is in poor health and Mark Wynn has now left Rochdale.

Does anyone else think this is the start of a planned merger?

Any details of the new people at these clubs coming in?

Forty 20 talked about a three\four way merger in Manchester last year is this the beginnings of such a club.

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't know a single Oldham or Rochdale fan who has ever expressed that they would support such a venture.  

No.

I do not think anyone who is from the area would see it as viable. 

The merger talks are strange, but inevitable in this TWP times.

i'd be proceeding with caution in any merger plans (i don't necessarily support one btw). Just think how Huddersfield-Sheffield ended up to name an example, wasn't exactly a success from what i remember.

There was also the hull/Gateshead “merger” a few years ago, which was in fact just keep hull in top division. Gateshead as such disappeared and a new gateshead formed also. Also Sheffield merged with Huddersfield, same thing happened again. Rochdale/Oldham would just lose one club again. No point in merger as far as I can see

• Like 2

A merger would just see a death of one club and a merged club no bigger than one of the existing ones. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bomb Jack said:

Would they be called Rocham or Oldale?

Lower Calder.

Dons tin hat.

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Chris Hamilton is in poor health and Mark Wynn has now left Rochdale.

Does anyone else think this is the start of a planned merger?

Any details of the new people at these clubs coming in?

Forty 20 talked about a three\four way merger in Manchester last year is this the beginnings of such a club.

Has there actually been any talks? Forgive me if I've missed something, but how did we get from Chris Hamiltons poor health to planned merger? 

• Like 4

Would Huddersfield/Halifax/Bradford/Leeds merge.Just because clubs with a proud R.L. heritage hit hard times does that mean they should be discarded like an empty fag packet.Hunslet are a proud club scraping by in the shadow of big brother Leeds but carry on despite small following.Leeds always had the money to buy players to make a team,Hunslet produced many of their own who were proud to wear the shirt.

• Like 4

About the same chance of a merger as the Pope turning Protestant. I would rather turn in watching than support a merged team or "Manchester" for that matter. I'm pretty sure most if not all Oldham/Hornets fans will have the same opinion. 

Let's merge on a tenuous "Chairman" issues idea 😮, how about just getting different Chairmen and cracking on. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kev p said:

There was also the hull/Gateshead “merger” a few years ago, which was in fact just keep hull in top division. Gateshead as such disappeared and a new gateshead formed also. Also Sheffield merged with Huddersfield, same thing happened again. Rochdale/Oldham would just lose one club again. No point in merger as far as I can see

You would struggle to call the Hull/Gateshead one a merger. Hull had requested to drop down the pyramid to survive but where blocked. Meanwhile Gateshead had proven to be unsustainable as a SL club and were on the brink of folding. It was more a case of Gateshead disolving and Shane Richardson taking the reins at Hull instead. It's not really a good example of what a merger can be.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I assume if they did merge they'd become Manchester.  

You're probably right, but I think it would simply result in the majority of fans of both Oldham and Rochdale wanting to form 2 new clubs from scratch. As an Oldham fan myself it would certainly be my response. I cannot see many people continuing to support a club that now bears the name of a completely different city. We're getting in to MK Dons territory there. It'd probably actually feel even worse than what MK did if they were called Manchester but based in Oldham or Rochdale, that'd be like rubbing salt in the wound.

I think if a club bearing the name Manchester were to achieve League 1 status and hopefully one day progress to Super League it would be great for RL, but any such club should be based in Manchester rather than Oldham or Rochdale and should not be formed by merging existing clubs from neighbouring towns. There are already amateur clubs in Manchester, I'd much rather see the growth and development of one of those.

I think the nail has been hit on the head in some previous posts. If they merged and continued playing at either Rochdale or Oldham then you would effectively just have one club dying than two merging. Any merger hoping to appeal to a wider base would probably have to be named something along the lines of "East Manchester" but even then I could see the fan base falling dramatically, at least until the new club had an identity of its own which could take a generation.

41 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I think the nail has been hit on the head in some previous posts. If they merged and continued playing at either Rochdale or Oldham then you would effectively just have one club dying than two merging. Any merger hoping to appeal to a wider base would probably have to be named something along the lines of "East Manchester" but even then I could see the fan base falling dramatically, at least until the new club had an identity of its own which could take a generation.

These posts assume that the motivation is that by forming two small, but viable clubs, that a super club would be formed.

The motive could also be that they see neither club as viable and decide to have a go at forming another club.

Either way, it is speculation for now and there is a third option as to what is happening.

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

I just can't see the public of Oldham and Rochdale getting behind a club named after the eastern half of an entirely different neighbouring city in sufficient numbers to make it sustainable. I certainly would have no interest in it.

There might be a bit more chance if someone could come up with a more apt name, but even then, as yourself and others have alluded to, the rivalry between the two clubs is too long standing to for it to be palletable to most fans, whilst others will always want their hometown to have a club of its own rather than a shared one. All of which, as you rightly say, would lead to one club just swallowing the other and the extinct club reforming from scratch, thus taking everybody back to where they started.

16 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't know a single Oldham or Rochdale fan who has ever expressed that they would support such a venture.  

Its not so much the fans as whoever joins the Oldham board.

2 hours ago, fevtom said:

It would take the Manchester name its the days of big city Rugby League.

Small towns are going to struggle going forward not my opinion, just what I am reading from the noise I am getting.

If we are going transatlantic the RFL want names they can sell to a North American audience..

13 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Has there actually been any talks? Forgive me if I've missed something, but how did we get from Chris Hamiltons poor health to planned merger? 

It might be Chris is no longer in a position to carry on at Oldham and changes are now taking place at Rochdale.

Factor in the Manchester being added to Swinton's badge and the report in Forty Twenty about a 3\4 way merger last year.

To expand the sport you might be right about getting more from the big cities, but that doesn't mean Oldham and Rochdale should merge to make this happen. Clearly these fans identify as Oldham and Rochdale and most people would have no interest following a City they don't really identify with. If we're going to crack the Manchester market then a new Manchester club (possibly an already existing amatuer one) would have to enter the Rugby League and actually play in Manchester.

Edited by fevtom
  • Like 4

Awful idea - would also get a Manchester club off to the worst possible start.

Never ceases to amaze me how outsiders and indeed some Mancunians under estimate civic pride in places that simply don’t recognise this Greater Manchester branding.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

All speculation and putting 2+2 and getting 5, Chris is having surgery, he will be out of action approx 12 weeks all being well. Having spoken to him,there is no indication whatsoever that after recovery he will not continue at Oldham. He has put plans in place while he is away and if he did step down I'm sure someone will replace him without any need for a merger. As I say all a merger would do is kill two clubs with a long rivalry and history and lose the game 1000 fans or so,because i tell you now no one at either Oldham or Rochdale will support a merged club or a club with the name Manchester anywhere near it.

If Oldham merged/died then that's the end of RL for me. All this comes from the greed of SL and the rumours around restructuring. It won't be just us either, the other clubs that will be culled if the two divisions of 10 become reality will have to be absorbed by the chosen few. Otherwise, merged or not in the closed shop of 20 there wouldn't be room for them anyway!!

All this because the RFL think RL is a global phenomenon by the contrived addition of North American teams etc, which are just British/Aus/Kiwi players under a franchises name . Until NA has its own proper league,producing it's own players who are strong enough to compete with the established teams they will always be franchises. Might as well rebrand Salford as NY Reds, based in Salford but play half a season in NY. It's not expansion,it's convenience for the powers that be and sky.

Yes they want big city sides but not at the cost of established " smaller" clubs. Where will the players come from to add to these "Superteams" ,players will just pack the game in because unless they can get into the hallowed few there will be no league for them and no career pathway. Is that encouraging participation in the sport ,I think not.

Will fans support these big city teams? The league 1\Championship sides at risk may not have many fans overall, but they are loyal to the history and name of their club which the folk in the ivory tower want to steal. Take that away and many will walk away from the game, simple as that. It's tribal, mergers simply will not work

If this is expansion the RFL/SL/Sky can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Edited by roughyed34
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1