Sign in to follow this  

Can't see that there is a recent thread on this anywhere.

According to the Rugby Paper from last Sunday, Eastmond has decided that he has had now enough of RU and is definitely looking to head back to RL now his contract with Wasps is up. I would imagine partly due to the fact that no-one else in the Premiership is interested in him, on the salary he would have been earning at Wasps. Warrington and Wigan are the clubs quoted as being of interest, although there was mention of the possiblitiy of him signing for Leeds on a dual code contract.

Am I right in thinking that for cap purposes, only a part of his actual salary would count on a club's cap due to him crossing back?

3 minutes ago, foozler said:

Am I right in thinking that for cap purposes, only a part of his actual salary would count on a club's cap due to him crossing back?

‘A Returning Talent Pool Player would be a player who has not played Rugby League in the preceding five years (for reasons other than as a result of a disciplinary sanction or criminal conviction). In relation to such players, a club would be given an allowance such that the Salary Cap Value of that player is: (i) reduced by 50% in his first full season; and (ii) by 25% in his second full season.’

http://www.rugby-league.com/challengecup/article/39736/super-league-clubs-back-proposals-by-rugby-football-league-to-attract-and-retain-elite-talent

6 minutes ago, foozler said:

Can't see that there is a recent thread on this anywhere.

According to the Rugby Paper from last Sunday, Eastmond has decided that he has had now enough of RU and is definitely looking to head back to RL now his contract with Wasps is up. I would imagine partly due to the fact that no-one else in the Premiership is interested in him, on the salary he would have been earning at Wasps. Warrington and Wigan are the clubs quoted as being of interest, although there was mention of the possiblitiy of him signing for Leeds on a dual code contract.

Cas could do with a bit of x factor.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

‘A Returning Talent Pool Player would be a player who has not played Rugby League in the preceding five years (for reasons other than as a result of a disciplinary sanction or criminal conviction). In relation to such players, a club would be given an allowance such that the Salary Cap Value of that player is: (i) reduced by 50% in his first full season; and (ii) by 25% in his second full season.’

http://www.rugby-league.com/challengecup/article/39736/super-league-clubs-back-proposals-by-rugby-football-league-to-attract-and-retain-elite-talent

Thank you.

29 years old and hasn't played RL for 7 years? Move on. Give a young player a chance instead. 

• Like 6

There should be no way back for these guys who have spent their best years playing Union.Once they have made that move that's it.

• Like 1

Eastmond always struggled a little with the physicality of RL. 7 years away won' have helped. He will also want lot of money, will take at least a year to get back up to speed and was a player who relied on his speed and agility rather than his RL brain.

He was a great prospect before he left but still had a lot to learn. Danny McGuire went from a similar 'runner' to 'thinker' and has gotten probably another 6 years out of his career at high level. But he used RL day in day out. 

Eastmond probably has 3 years of being  'runner' then he needs to be a 'thinker'. Is it worth the risk of spending a lot of money and a lot of time getting him up to speed for a couple of years before his athletic abilities decline and you need to hope he can make that change?

If you are say Toulouse or Toronto? Maybe.

If you are Leeds Wigan or Saints? Almost certainly not.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, frank said:

There should be no way back for these guys who have spent their best years playing Union.Once they have made that move that's it.

There's something about this that doesn't sit right with me.  For decades, players choosing to play Rugby League were banned from Union and often ostracized by their previous clubs and communities, I would rather our sport didn't take that attitude.

Irrelevant of whether Eastmond is good enough to come back, the pathway should be there.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There's something about this that doesn't sit right with me.  For decades, players choosing to play Rugby League were banned from Union and often ostracized by their previous clubs and communities, I would rather our sport didn't take that attitude.

Irrelevant of whether Eastmond is good enough to come back, the pathway should be there.

I agree. Just because they treated their players who crossed so poorly we shouldn't stoop to that. If he wants to return and someone thinks it's a worthwhile signing then of course he should be able to do it. Not to mention that preventing it would be illegal anyway.

Whether he is worth taking on is another question. He was an exciting player before, but it's a long time to be away. On the plus side he has probably prolonged his career by a year or two.

44 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed. I'd rather we took players from Rugby Union, instead of morals.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, frank said:

Sorry but that attitude is out of order, we fought for 100 years for players to be free to chose their sport without discrimination, you are behaving as bad as the  union mob.

• Like 13

Surely he's worth a shot for a club if he's willing to take a reasonable salary?. 

He was on 300k at wasps... Would he be worth 100k for a RL team?

Would he take a short term deal till end of the season with a view to a long-term deal?

Leeds for one could do with half back options. 

He'd be fine. At a good club, I think he'd quickly become one of Super League's best halves. In a comp where top class playmakers are fairly scarce, he's surely worth a punt. He's got more talent, and a better record in top level sport, than most current SL halfbacks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Cas could do with a bit of x factor.

I'd rather we worked with and nurtured Trueman rather than waste money on him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

He'd be fine. At a good club, I think he'd quickly become one of Super League's best halves. In a comp where top class playmakers are fairly scarce, he's surely worth a punt. He's got more talent, and a better record in top level sport, than most current SL halfbacks.

I'm not sure Eastmond would be a half back were he to return.

He has been playing centre almost exclusively in Union and his strengths are elusive running and some creativity with an offload/pass.  I can see that skill set transferring to the full back role in League acting as a running and passing threat on shift plays.

I am all for developing the next generation of League talent, I look forward to the Academy tests probably more than any other fixtures, but I do believe that Eastmond could make a very good League full back today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

Eastmond struggled as a playmaker at Saints. He was always more of a runner hence why he got shifted into the 3/4s near the latter part of his Saints career. 

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He has been playing centre almost exclusively in Union and his strengths are elusive running and some creativity with an offload/pass.  I can see that skill set transferring to the full back role in League acting as a running and passing threat on shift plays.

I am all for developing the next generation of League talent, I look forward to the Academy tests probably more than any other fixtures, but I do believe that Eastmond could make a very good League full back today.

I'd agree with much of that but the big question on Eastmond more than "is he good enough" is more "is he worth it" and i'm not sure he is... he will want a good wedge and for me I am not sure he is enough of a nailed on certainty to convert back successfully to risk the money. 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

I'd agree with much of that but the big question on Eastmond more than "is he good enough" is more "is he worth it" and i'm not sure he is... he will want a good wedge and for me I am not sure he is enough of a nailed on certainty to convert back successfully to risk the money. 

I agree with that and I guess in the sentence I said that he "could make a very good League fullback" the could is probably the key word.

But as some publicity for our sport and some interest in seeing how he could perform (remember he was an English international at League at a very young age) it would be fun to watch.

As long as I am not funding it of course !!

• Like 1

Having not watched Eastmond whilst at RU I wouldn't have an idea how his game and skills have developed. Hence how he would re-adapt and his best position. You can't go on what he was prior to him leaving.

Edited by redjonn

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Fair enough. Fullback or halfback, he's got the skills to do the job and is worth a punt. I think he's ideally a halfback, but you need to be able to organise the team to play there and maybe that's not a strength of his. Hopefully we find out!

Give the new up and comers from our code a go rather than a player that moved away from the game and now wants a final pay day that his current employers do not think he warrants.

IMO he would draw a wage and struggle to deliver anything, on the sick/injured list more often than not as he sees out the remains of his career.

Edited by Allora

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Agreed. I'd rather we took players from Rugby Union, instead of morals.

Perfectly expressed, Futtocks.

15 hours ago, Padge said:

Sorry but that attitude is out of order, we fought for 100 years for players to be free to chose their sport without discrimination, you are behaving as bad as the  union mob.

Wholly agree, Padge.  The 'no way back' brigade might also want to stop and think about the legality, in the context of employment law, of what they propose!

14 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Wholly agree, Padge.  The 'no way back' brigade might also want to stop and think about the legality, in the context of employment law, of what they propose!

There is no  "Legality" if no Club wants to sign him what is he taking to Court? Nothing.

Offer him contract based on games he is selected in the first team as Match payments only. Done.

Edited by Allora

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

There is no  "Legality" if no Club wants to sign him what is he taking to Court? Nothing.

Offer him contract based on games he is selected in the first team as Match payments only. Done.

But there would be a legal issue were it to be a stated policy of the RFL or SL that players who have been professionals on the dark side for over x years (whatever you determine x to be) cannot return to our game.  In the light of the turns of phrase used in some posts on this thread (eg by frank), that was what I was highlighting.