Sign in to follow this  
Adelaide Tiger

On the Road fixtures and the Hearns

Just sat down and started thinking about the issue with Bristol Sonics and other outside 'heartlands' clubs; games in Wales called off because of the lack of officials; the possibility of the Hearns being involved in the game.

Some may see these as issues with no connection but I can see a link.  Let me explain:

The Hearns are successful at encouraging people to attend one-off events on an annual basis such as the darts Premier League in various cities.  A similar concept in RL could be the 'On the Road' games.  If each SL team gives up 1 home game we have 12 fixtures to take around the UK annually.

The strategic element is a commitment is to hold one SL game each year in the same location.  Therefore this would give the Hearns/RFL 5 years to build the 'On the Road' event at each location.  One option could be to hold fixtures in locations where there is already an amatuer presence i.e Bristol, Coventry, Gloucester, South Wales, North Wales, North East, South East etc. and local club/clubs become part of the event.  The aim of each game is to help promote RL as a live sport and to signpost interested players and volunteers to local clubs.  In the week leading up the event the RFL could hold courses for existing and aspiring coaches and match officials.  In addition the Hearns/RFL could hopefully encourage the Local Authority of each area to sponsor just one Development Officer per area for an initial 5 years. 

Of course this would mean each SL club giving up one home game.  Shock, horror ........ But as this would be a collaboration from all 12 SL clubs the profits generated from all 12 games should be equally shared across all clubs once the local clubs are given financial support.  The game as a whole needs to look at the possible long term benefit for the game as a whole from rather than any initial loss of income.

To appease season ticket holders I suggest that they should be offered free entry to their teams 'home' game and have free coach travel which is surely not beyond the skill of the Hearns/RFL.

Anyway time to make some tea.

• Like 7

I've thought for quite some time that Catalans home games were ideal opportunities for this type of thing. With Toronto and Toulouse closing in perhaps now is the time to do it. Would require long term commitment though and realistically would probably only be 6 clubs doing this?

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just sat down and started thinking about the issue with Bristol Sonics and other outside 'heartlands' clubs; games in Wales called off because of the lack of officials; the possibility of the Hearns being involved in the game.

Some may see these as issues with no connection but I can see a link.  Let me explain:

The Hearns are successful at encouraging people to attend one-off events on an annual basis such as the darts Premier League in various cities.  A similar concept in RL could be the 'On the Road' games.  If each SL team gives up 1 home game we have 12 fixtures to take around the UK annually.

The strategic element is a commitment is to hold one SL game each year in the same location.  Therefore this would give the Hearns/RFL 5 years to build the 'On the Road' event at each location.  One option could be to hold fixtures in locations where there is already an amatuer presence i.e Bristol, Coventry, Gloucester, South Wales, North Wales, North East, South East etc. and local club/clubs become part of the event.  The aim of each game is to help promote RL as a live sport and to signpost interested players and volunteers to local clubs.  In the week leading up the event the RFL could hold courses for existing and aspiring coaches and match officials.  In addition the Hearns/RFL could hopefully encourage the Local Authority of each area to sponsor just one Development Officer per area for an initial 5 years. 

Of course this would mean each SL club giving up one home game.  Shock, horror ........ But as this would be a collaboration from all 12 SL clubs the profits generated from all 12 games should be equally shared across all clubs once the local clubs are given financial support.  The game as a whole needs to look at the possible long term benefit for the game as a whole from rather than any initial loss of income.

To appease season ticket holders I suggest that they should be offered free entry to their teams 'home' game and have free coach travel which is surely not beyond the skill of the Hearns/RFL.

Tell you what Ian, for a Cas lad you do talk a lot of sense.

Fantastic idea, but will the 12 geniuses at Super League Europe Ltd have the vision to put something like this on?  

I remember watching the Bulls play London at Hearts and also at Leicester I previous incarnations of SL going on the road! Good days out!

10 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Tell you what Ian, for a Cas lad you do talk a lot of sense.

Fantastic idea, but will the 12 geniuses at Super League Europe Ltd have the vision to put something like this on?  

Cheers Dave.  

I was going to add this but people might have thought I was rambling.

If the Hearns are involved in the Magic Weekend and add 20k to the total attendance I would anticipate that 50% of those extra supporters are already regular fans .... so the increase is 10k non regular supporters.  Which is ok.

If the Hearns are involved in the CC Final and fill Wembley then they would have added 20k to the attendance.  Again it could be a 50/50 split between existing supporters and non regular supporters.  So 10k new fans which again is ok.

On the Road games.  In 1997 when this was held the average attendance was around 5,200.  If Hearns and RFL/SL can average just 8,000 a game then you get close to 100k at 12 games.  So you would get a great deal more non regular fans.   Over a 5 year period it would be hoped that the attendances could increase at each location.  You also gain data about those attending through ticket sales so you are increasing the number of people to target for other events such as the MW, CC Final and the RLWC 2021.

Dave, with my idea and your travel expertise we ought to pitch this to the RFL/SL before the Hearns do so.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 9:02 AM, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thank you, that is an interesting suggestion.

There would obviously be a downside.  Clubs would lose a home game, which is a substantial part of the income.  Furthermore, there are costs incurred with travelling and accommodating about forty people.  You mention initiatives in the week before, so we appear to be moving the clubs for a week, that is a week of hotel accommodation, food and training facilities.   We might also reasonably expect fewer ticket sales, so more loss.  This is not cheap.

The point is whether this is outweighed by the benefits.  At this point, I am a little unclear.   There would be a minor boost in profile of any local amateur or rugby league club, but nothing transformative.  Were a large game to take place in a city that did not have rugby league on TV, that could be transformative, but you mention the UK so that is out.

I would wonder whether there are twelve places around the UK that would benefit hugely from such an initiative that would make such an event prudent?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Thank you, that is an interesting suggestion.

There would obviously be a downside.  Clubs would lose a home game, which is a substantial part of the income.  Furthermore, there are costs incurred with travelling and accommodating about forty people.  You mention initiatives in the week before, so we appear to be moving the clubs for a week, that is a week of hotel accommodation, food and training facilities.   We might also reasonably expect fewer ticket sales, so more loss.  This is not cheap.

The point is whether this is outweighed by the benefits.  At this point, I am a little unclear.   There would be a minor boost in profile of any local amateur or rugby league club, but nothing transformative.  Were a large game to take place in a city that did not have rugby league on TV, that could be transformative, but you mention the UK so that is out.

I would wonder whether there are twelve places around the UK that would benefit hugely from such an initiative that would make such an event prudent?

My initial post suggested that developing an On the Road event would be of greater benefit if the Hearns got involved with RL rather than asking them to add 10k or 20k to an existing event.  An On the Road event has to be of financial value to the game.  If, using the skill of the Hearns, they could provide financial gaurantees, for example through tendering a 5 year proposal to cities/local authorities then SL clubs can minimise the financial loss of losing 1 home game.  If someone like the Hearns could not make this stack up financially then it does not go ahead.

I never said SL clubs need to relocate for a week.  Surely the RFL can send the ref there one day early to hold a clinic with current and aspiring match officials.  Also pay for an ex coach/player to spend one day in the week leading up to each game to share their coaching experiences. Clubs would just need to send 1 player each for media work for a day or so. Not exactly budget breaking is it.

The main reason for my idea was the post about the Bristol Sonics.  It sickens me that since the creation of the Summer Conference we have had many amateur teams spring up due to the enthusiasm of volunteers then die away.  Some people on this site just shrug their shoulders and say 'tough' but IMHO the on the road concept should be used to help support amatuer clubs by partnering with them for the games and raising their visibility to local players, local media and local sponsors.

I find your comment about there not not being 12 places in the UK that would benefit from such a concept a tad alarming.  Are you seriously saying that taking Leeds v Warrington to say Bristol and having a double header with a Bristol based club for 5 consecutive years is of no use whatsoever?

P.S. All SL sides would take one game on the road.  So that would apply to Catalans and any other non uk based team.  This is no imposition on the away team as they would be travelling to that country anyway.

1 minute ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

My initial post suggested that developing an On the Road event would be of greater benefit if the Hearns got involved with RL rather than asking them to add 10k or 20k to an existing event.  An On the Road event has to be of financial value to the game.  If, using the skill of the Hearns, they could provide financial gaurantees, for example through tendering a 5 year proposal to cities/local authorities then SL clubs can minimise the financial loss of losing 1 home game.  If someone like the Hearns could not make this stack up financially then it does not go ahead.

I never said SL clubs need to relocate for a week.  Surely the RFL can send the ref there one day early to hold a clinic with current and aspiring match officials.  Also pay for an ex coach/player to spend one day in the week leading up to each game to share their coaching experiences. Clubs would just need to send 1 player each for media work for a day or so. Not exactly budget breaking is it.

The main reason for my idea was the post about the Bristol Sonics.  It sickens me that since the creation of the Summer Conference we have had many amateur teams spring up due to the enthusiasm of volunteers then die away.  Some people on this site just shrug their shoulders and say 'tough' but IMHO the on the road concept should be used to help support amatuer clubs by partnering with them for the games and raising their visibility to local players, local media and local sponsors.

I find your comment about there not not being 12 places in the UK that would benefit from such a concept a tad alarming.  Are you seriously saying that taking Leeds v Warrington to say Bristol and having a double header with a Bristol based club for 5 consecutive years is of no use whatsoever?

P.S. All SL sides would take one game on the road.  So that would apply to Catalans and any other non uk based team.  This is no imposition on the away team as they would be travelling to that country anyway.

Thanks!  

I should have written six places anyway, but was being thick.

My thinking was more that this does not have to be much financial outlay before it equates to development officers that would be far more helpful for local amateur clubs.  As a way of helping amateur clubs, it is very inefficient in my opinion.  It is not that it is no use, just that the time and resources could be spent in other ways.  I was with Oxford Cavaliers when we had a World Cup game there, it was of no real benefit to us.

I am a little skeptical of Hearns, but if there is a role, that seems fair.  Creating a role for him would be dangerous and perhaps we agree on that.

I do actually see an important role for on the road games, but am skeptical about a round.  Of course, I could be completely wrong and often am.

7 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Thanks!  

I should have written six places anyway, but was being thick.

My thinking was more that this does not have to be much financial outlay before it equates to development officers that would be far more helpful for local amateur clubs.  As a way of helping amateur clubs, it is very inefficient in my opinion.  It is not that it is no use, just that the time and resources could be spent in other ways.  I was with Oxford Cavaliers when we had a World Cup game there, it was of no real benefit to us.

I am a little skeptical of Hearns, but if there is a role, that seems fair.  Creating a role for him would be dangerous and perhaps we agree on that.

I do actually see an important role for on the road games, but am skeptical about a round.  Of course, I could be completely wrong and often am.

I do agree that Development Officers are crucial.  In an earlier post I stated that one possibility could be to get an agreement with Local Authority's where games are to be played for them to provide funding for at least 1 Development Officer for the 5 year period of the initial concept. 

Your point about the WC game in Oxford is a great illustration about giving an area one game then not following it up.  That is why I believe that by having an initial 5 year commitment to 12 areas plus a funded Development Officer the local club(s) and local amateur game have a greater chance for long term stability and growth.

Is Hearns dangerous?  I have no idea.  Obviously they will want a financial return.  If they are involved in any aspect of the game the contract must clearly stipulate the scope of work and the KPI's they must achieve for payment.  Like most things in life it is a gamble.

Well night, night as it is bed time in Adelaide.

• Like 1