Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

Who makes the Super League playoffs?

Who do you think will make the top 4 now we’re over halfway through the season?

My predictions from what I’ve seen:

1. St Helens

The whole team seems to be gathering momentum topped off by the obvious class of Barba at this level of rugby league.  Injuries could still happen of course to key players, but there’s strength in depth and a lot of self belief.  The League Leader’s Shield isn’t a foregone conclusion yet, but I think a playoff berth probably could be looking at the gap between first and fifth.

2. Wigan

They’ve seemingly been hanging onto the coat-tails of their rival so far this season despite a Jekyll and Hyde character between and even within matches.  Will the announcement over Shaun Wane leaving at the end of the season make them play harder for him and their futures - or could it have the opposite effect?  They’ll want homefield advantage in the playoffs and maybe that win against Wire at the Magic weekend will prove decisive in that respect.

3. Warrington

Recovered from a poor start and have seemingly been on a charge since.  Will they look back to last night’s second half comeback against Hull as another turning point?  They’re definitely carrying momentum going into the second half of the season.

4. Castleford

It looks like any one from three (Castleford, Hull and Leeds) in a fierce battle for the last remaining spot.  Like paper, scissors and stone, you can make a case for any of them really - getting fit and healthy will be key. I’m just giving Cas the nod for now because of their games in hand.

I agree with those. I keep expecting Warrington to drop off but they don't appear to be doing that and already have put distance between them and fifth. I think it will be a step too far for Hull with their injury problems. Leeds are playing terribly but you can never put it past them pulling something off at the last minute.

Remember that Cas and Leeds aren't even halfway through their games as far as the race for the four is concerned, so a lot can change.

I think the league table is telling no lies at the moment: those are the clubs in form. Saints and Wigan won't fall out of the playoff positions, but Cas and Leeds have plenty of time to get back in there. A lot will hinge on how quickly Hull can get bodies back: if they have 4-6 weeks of continuing turmoil, they could fall prey to some of those teams scrapping for their lives at the bottom. They are still in a pretty good position at this point though.

Saints and Wigan are certainties. Then its 4 teams going for the next 2. Warrington have a little cushion now, coupled with the injuries that the chasing pack have, they are probably favourites for 3rd, although I maintain they aren't a team that worries me. Leeds are still in there, but they won't be for long if their form doesn't pick up. So probably between Cas and ourselves for 4th. Both teams have injuries, Cas have the games in hand but they also have the tougher run in. Hull have 5 of the last 7 at home (we still havent lost at home yet). We just need to keep ourselves there or there abouts until a few of the injured played return.

So, Saints, Wigan, Warrington and Hull is my answer, but the first two are the only ones I am confident about.

If the Super 8s went back to zero points, how would that change things? I still think the top two would get there but the rest would be more interesting. 

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

If the Super 8s went back to zero points, how would that change things? I still think the top two would get there but the rest would be more interesting. 

If the 8s went to zero, you would need to award the LLS at the end of 23 rounds, and some prize money ? What do you think? So that way its clear there some reward for toping the league.

42 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

If the 8s went to zero, you would need to award the LLS at the end of 23 rounds, and some prize money ? What do you think? So that way its clear there some reward for toping the league.

Therefore negating the need for the Super 8s, which haven’t exactly increased the crowds when the top 8 teams play each other off again for the top 4.   I guess you’d still need the top 4 to fight it out for the grand final to add a bit of end of season excitement.

The LLS doesn’t need much of a reward as it’s clearly not a target for any clubs - history shows timing your form is much more important...  and I say this as a fan of a club who has won 2 LLS. The first time it felt like we’d really achieved something, the second time I was almost embarrasssed to acknowledge it after losing the GF.   Means nothing unless you follow it up with a win in the final.

• Like 1