Sign in to follow this  
RayCee

Northern Hemisphere International Options

Recommended Posts

On 5/31/2018 at 2:22 PM, Allora said:

England should bring on France, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland.

Invest in their youth and send Coaches there to develop the raw talent, get them playing the game in Schools.

I agree ref France and Wales; less with Ireland and Scotland as the game is played in such small numbers. Lack of funds is the issue though. Plucking the odd player which currently happens should be the tip of the iceberg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

They can, and do. England students, pioneers etc... but don’t expect those fixtures to get anymore than 100 spectators, let alone any media coverage.

I don’t expect those games to get a big profile, but England v Wales/Scotland/Ireland is a different proposition. No add-ons or caveats, just an international match between the best one nation has and the best another chooses to put out.

Wales v England, with a date agreed a year or two in advance, has a better chance of drawing a crowd than anything WRL have to offer right now..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 12:08 AM, scotchy1 said:

Start with 9s. At least three 9s comps a year. 1 in England, 1 in France, 1 roaming. 1 mid season, 1 post season, 1 beginning of the season if we can find somewhere warm.

The barrier to entry is much lower for 9's so that more countries can join, it gives those countries an opportunity seek investment and sponsorship and gives their players something to aim for. If it can make a bit of money through TV and sponsorship and sales that can be used to pay for some of these players to become full-time while doubling up as development officers in their nations to get 13s leagues set up and train referees and coaches and organise facilities etc and have a database of sponsors etc from the 9s that can be channeled through to 13s.

Hopefully after a couple of years success in England, France and Roaming ones we will be able to extend to 4,5,6,7 events and plough all that money in to development officers throughout the NH.

It also doesnt need to take the place of full test matches, but is instead in addition to, as England 9s team wouldnt necessarily be Englands 13's team etc.

Besides the big nations of England, France, Wales, Ireland, and teams like the USA and Lebanon who can put out a decent squad, it would give nations like Italy and Jamaica more chance to integrate the heritage and domestic players, aswell as sides like Serbia who deserve some recognition for their efforts at amateur level.

I love the idea of getting more games for the domestic players. 

You are right, 9s does present less barriers to entry and is slightly a leveller (in terms of score lines anyway) between the top and the bottom sides compared to 13s.

My concern with hinging hopes on Euro International 9s is that I don’t expect that those events would make any profit. It will lack interest from even the most hard nosed RL supporters, mainly because most teams will be full of nobodies, let alone capture the imagination of the media and corporates.

It is an expensive operation for fledgling nations to take part, especially in expensive locations like UK and France.

Without generating its own positive financials, attention must be spent elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why is N America such an easier option than Europe at raising profile of the sport?

You are still searching for a rich benefactor to set up a team in a new local market? In Europe, at least you are not competiting with a similar, contact/collision style sport like Gridiron which is entrenched in the US sports market.

Because in North America no one looks down on RL as a small-time game with limited appeal, the parallels with gridiron provide a way to market the game and so much money is spent on sports here that bringing even a small fraction into RL would be a huge boost.  Plus there's a huge pool of athletes here who have transferable skills, are well accustomed to contact sports and have few opportunities to continue playing other than recreationally if they don't make it into the pro ranks.

In Europe RL has a major image problem and competition from a similar contact sport (RU) which tried to block the growth of RL for a long time and might still be trying that in more subtle ways.  Plus the pool of potential converts with transferable skills has basically dried up since RU went pro.

Edited by Big Picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I love the idea of getting more games for the domestic players. 

You are right, 9s does present less barriers to entry and is slightly a leveller (in terms of score lines anyway) between the top and the bottom sides compared to 13s.

My concern with hinging hopes on Euro International 9s is that I don’t expect that those events would make any profit. It will lack interest from even the most hard nosed RL supporters, mainly because most teams will be full of nobodies, let alone capture the imagination of the media and corporates.

It is an expensive operation for fledgling nations to take part, especially in expensive locations like UK and France.

Without generating its own positive financials, attention must be spent elsewhere.

I don't necessarily think it would be teams of nobodies. Some will but you would expect a mix of the best domestic players and NH based heritage players but also, marketed correctly, this can be used to create some of the interest. Finding some absolutely rapid young winger in Jamaica or some Running back from college football makes the cut for USA.

From the point of sales its an entirely different concept. A whole day event more akin to a test match or horse racing. From Sky's point of view its perfect 8/9 hours of content x 2 days at one stadium.

Whilst it would be expensive to have the 16 or so teams taking part, thats where you can look to sponsorship for the individual nations to contribute towards the costs of their participation, but also can look to contra deals to become the official airline or official hotelier of the RLIF 9's and use that to cut down cost.

What is also certain is it would be hugely cheaper to have the lets say 200 players and staff needed from 16 nations all fly to one place and place against each other over 2 days than it would be to have them all flying all over to play each other, and having them all in one place allows us to spend the week getting them working with top coaches, advice from strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists etc which can go back.

Once we have that sorted and functioning, even if only at the level it pays for itself we can look to creating a competition, at 13's level, between the developing nations using only their domestic based players. Run it over 2 years. The first year divided in to regional groups to save on travel costs, So for instance group 1 Wales, Ireland, Italy, groups 2 serbia, bulgaria, bosnia, group 3 Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, group 4 USA, Canada, Jamaica,  etc etc, winner of each group meets in one place in year 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 5:30 PM, WelshpoolMarauder said:

Why can’t England play the other home nations and put out an ‘appropriate’ strength side to keep the games competitive and provide more opportunities for player development?

This happens in other sports without issue, and at the end of the day, if the sport is trying to gain converts outside the heartlands, are they going to know who England’s best players are?

It’s pretty similar to what has brought Italy on across the code divide - when they joined the Six Nations, they were getting beaten by the second string sides in a 20k ground they couldn’t sell out. Now, they’re still losing mostly, but against the full strength teams and  in a much bigger ground.

 

 

That is not correct at all. Italy were playing full-stength oppostion teams both home and away well before, and definietly after, inclusion to the expanded 5/6 Nations. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gluedo said:

 

 

That is not correct at all. Italy were playing full-stength oppostion teams both home and away well before, and definietly after, inclusion to the expanded 5/6 Nations. 

 

They were playing fully recognised and capped internationals, but the teams they were playing definitely weren’t full strength.

 

Edited by WelshpoolMarauder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WelshpoolMarauder said:

They were playing fully recognised and capped internationals, but the teams they were playing definitely weren’t full strength.

 

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you are just plain wrong. Not a little bit wrong but totally and utterly wrong!

The first time the Italians played England after they got into the newly expanded 6 Nations in Rome in 2000, the England team had 11 players in the starting XV who started in the RUWC in 2003 plus 2 more on the bench. Martin Johnson wasn't playing as he was injured!

Details here if you must look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 4:38 PM, Big Picture said:

The answer is to get the game established in the North part of America.  Nothing else can possibly raise the game's profile in Europe to the point where big numbers of young guys will want to play it and reverse the slow decline which other posters have noted.

To "get the game established in North America" requires as Perez indicates six north american clubs to be operating in Superleague. Take out six Superleague clubs from Europe to make way for them and the "games profile in Europe" is going to drop off a cliff isn't it?

Perez told us in 2016 that "big numbers of young guys will want to play it" and that they would adapt quickly. TWP are well funded, have made great strides and sit in pole position to enter Superleague next season so where exactly are these "young guys" wanting to play it?? 

Ryan Burroughs is being touted on here as a young player being developed towards more North Americans playing RL. It's a joke. Burroughs is a mature USA International not an academy player.

I could with help name you thousands of "Young guys wanting to play it" in North America, the problem being for us they are already doing this in North American Rugby Union.

 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:54 AM, Big Picture said:

In North America no one looks down on RL as a small-time game with limited appeal, the parallels with gridiron provide a way to market the game and so much money is spent on sports here that bringing even a small fraction into RL would be a huge boost.  Plus there's a huge pool of athletes here who have transferable skills.   

The "limited appeal" is clearly there  when you look at the number of North Americans participating in Rugby Union as opposed to Rugby League. The two games have gone head to head for decades and Union has simply won the day. You again repeat the "transferable skills" mantra, but even Eric Perez abandoned this early last year when he switched the idea to maybe Chinese athletes being the ones who would flock to populate North American club RL rosters.

There was a suggestion in the RL press today that RL fans here were not welcoming to the enthusiasm that has emanated from Canada. I welcome you good sir as a fellow RL fan as much as I would welcome any fellow RL fan just down the road from me. However I do not welcome with respect the the falsehoods you continually peddle, nor any "development plan" that merely aims to take from the game rather than add to it.

Back to the reality and the only "Northern Hemisphere" international option to help grow the game  is clearly France. If this is the way to stem our decline (marked out by the strugggles of Widnes and Salford) let's forget the pointless play offs and hoist Toulouse into SL.

Edited by The Parksider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A northern hemisphere Six Nations involving: Ireland, Wales, France (maybe U23?), USA, Jamaica and Canada would be fantastic. It should be played without heritage players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 12:45 AM, Sports Prophet said:

I love the idea of getting more games for the domestic players. 

You are right, 9s does present less barriers to entry and is slightly a leveller (in terms of score lines anyway) between the top and the bottom sides compared to 13s.

My concern with hinging hopes on Euro International 9s is that I don’t expect that those events would make any profit. It will lack interest from even the most hard nosed RL supporters, mainly because most teams will be full of nobodies, let alone capture the imagination of the media and corporates.

It is an expensive operation for fledgling nations to take part, especially in expensive locations like UK and France.

Without generating its own positive financials, attention must be spent elsewhere.

I think you are way off base on this. The 9's are in the Commonwealth Games then players are eligible to become carded; all Commonwealth countries will card their 9's players!   The money is great for a developing player; being a carded athlete.  Doesn't need to be paid by a developing club.

Also the organization is largely taken over by gov't. organizations who have money...pushing 9's solves alot of money and logistical problems....that is what Union did with the 7's and it grew quickly.   I believe this is what we should do with 9's; its a No Brainer in my books.  Win/win scenario, all good.

People will be 8interested and it will capture attention if promoted as a national team project and cap the players for the love of Mike.  People will always support their national teams (over here anyways).

Commonwealth 9's, that the hand to push in TRL Hold'em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I think you are way off base on this. The 9's are in the Commonwealth Games then players are eligible to become carded; all Commonwealth countries will card their 9's players!   The money is great for a developing player; being a carded athlete.  Doesn't need to be paid by a developing club.

I don’t know what you mean by “carded” K’man, I’ve never really heard the term used in UK or Oz. Can you elaborate more please?

RL 9s are not in the Commonwealth Games btw.

Edited by Sports Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

The "limited appeal" is clearly there  when you look at the number of North Americans participating in Rugby Union as opposed to Rugby League. The two games have gone head to head for decades and Union has simply won the day.

RU hasn't won any day. It's a marginal sport in NA and I see it staying that way. RL has more potential than RU in NA. Some people are trying to leverage that. If you want to wave the white flag, Parksider, over to you. I'd rather see people trying to make RL succeed in NA than constant negative talk from you. We know what you think on NA, why repeat it ad nauseam? 

The thread was to talk about NH RL options internationally. Any suggestions on a positive note Parksider? 

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t know what you mean by “carded” K’man, I’ve never really heard the term used in UK or Oz. Can you elaborate more please?

RL 9s are not in the Commonwealth Games btw.

That is the exact reason why we have got to get the 9's in there, to get the athletes carded.

A member of a national sports team gets carded ....that means they receive a monthly income (stipend) to support themselves (many are in university etc).  This solves most of their money problems and they can concentrate totally on training and studying while in school....this is steady base funding as long as they are on the national team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RayCee said:

RU hasn't won any day. It's a marginal sport in NA and I see it staying that way. RL has more potential than RU in NA. Some people are trying to leverage that. If you want to wave the white flag, Parksider, over to you. I'd rather see people trying to make RL succeed in NA than constant negative talk from you. We know what you think on NA, why repeat it ad nauseam? 

The thread was to talk about NH RL options internationally. Any suggestions on a positive note Parksider? 

On June 16 Canada will be playing Russian in a test in Ottawa in Union.

On June 16 the Wolfpack will be playing Dewsbury Rams in League.

If Parksider is right then the test should easily outdraw the Wolfpack...does anyone in their right mind honestly think that is going to happen?   Didn't think so.

darkside.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is the exact reason why we have got to get the 9's in there, to get the athletes carded.

A member of a national sports team gets carded ....that means they receive a monthly income (stipend) to support themselves (many are in university etc).  This solves most of their money problems and they can concentrate totally on training and studying while in school....this is steady base funding as long as they are on the national team. 

Being carded sounds very much like a N American term. I assume the funding comes from the government or by way of government through the local National Olympic Committee or similar? We have programs similar this in Aus too for talented athletes.

Worthy, but you cannot expect governments to fund to that level, a squad of players for three minor tournaments a year, representing a governing body operated by a team of volunteers and amateurs, which is exactly what most of the existing RL governing bodies are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Worthy, but you cannot expect governments to fund to that level, a squad of players for three minor tournaments a year, representing a governing body operated by a team of volunteers and amateurs, which is exactly what most of the existing RL governing bodies are.

Why not????  You should see what the gov't spends money on over here.  The thing they want to know is, "Can we win a medal out of this....if we can, then fund it!"   If the athletes are carded and the organizing committees get some money then we can begin to move up to the next level.....get 9's in the Commonwealth Games and the money and organizational structure will start to flow...gotta be able to say we are going for a medal somewhere  to make it happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

To "get the game established in North America" requires as Perez indicates six north american clubs to be operating in Superleague. Take out six Superleague clubs from Europe to make way for them and the "games profile in Europe" is going to drop off a cliff isn't it?

Perez told us in 2016 that "big numbers of young guys will want to play it" and that they would adapt quickly. TWP are well funded, have made great strides and sit in pole position to enter Superleague next season so where exactly are these "young guys" wanting to play it?? 

Ryan Burroughs is being touted on here as a young player being developed towards more North Americans playing RL. It's a joke. Burroughs is a mature USA International not an academy player.

I could with help name you thousands of "Young guys wanting to play it" in North America, the problem being for us they are already doing this in North American Rugby Union.

The "limited appeal" is clearly there  when you look at the number of North Americans participating in Rugby Union as opposed to Rugby League. The two games have gone head to head for decades and Union has simply won the day. You again repeat the "transferable skills" mantra, but even Eric Perez abandoned this early last year when he switched the idea to maybe Chinese athletes being the ones who would flock to populate North American club RL rosters.

There was a suggestion in the RL press today that RL fans here were not welcoming to the enthusiasm that has emanated from Canada. I welcome you good sir as a fellow RL fan as much as I would welcome any fellow RL fan just down the road from me. However I do not welcome with respect the the falsehoods you continually peddle, nor any "development plan" that merely aims to take from the game rather than add to it.

Back to the reality and the only "Northern Hemisphere" international option to help grow the game  is clearly France. If this is the way to stem our decline (marked out by the strugggles of Widnes and Salford) let's forget the pointless play offs and hoist Toulouse into SL.

As usual you misunderstood, maybe on purpose, so I'll spell out what I meant for you.

My statement was in reference to the game's profile in the UK and France.  If you want to get thousands more young Brits and French to want to play RL, the game's profile over there has be raised first.  As the BBC's response to Toronto's progress when they broadcast their match with Warrington shows, North America is the key to achieving that.

Whether you want to accept it or not, there are thousands of athletes over here who have transferable skills and could potentially be interested in playing pro RL if and when the game's profile makes it appealing to them which clearly hasn't happened yet.  As with the potential TV deals, that too won't happen with only one team from here playing the game.

Unlike Eric Pérez (unless he's since changed his mind) I do not think that what Toronto has achieved so far can be repeated the same way in other North American metropolises because their demographic makeup is not the same.  The GTA has big demographic cohorts who have reason to be more open than the average person over here would be to the eccentric idea of a team from here playing in a UK-based league and working its way up through the divisions playing a bunch of teams from places which hardly anyone over here has ever even heard of, but that only exists there.  The equivalent cohorts in other North American metropolises are insignificant, so the Wolfpack model of drawing primarily from those groups won't work  there.

And even if that were not the case, the RFL is certainly not competent to manage the inclusion of half a dozen teams over here and the associated issues based on its track record with past expansion ventures.  Only the formation of a brand new league modelled on North American pro leagues could make the transatlantic vision fly in my opinion.

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

RU hasn't won any day. It's a marginal sport in NA and I see it staying that way. RL has more potential than RU in NA. Some people are trying to leverage that. If you want to wave the white flag, Parksider, over to you. I'd rather see people trying to make RL succeed in NA than constant negative talk from you. We know what you think on NA, why repeat it ad nauseam? 

The thread was to talk about NH RL options internationally. Any suggestions on a positive note Parksider? 

Parksider apparently refuses to accept that RU can ever be a niche sport anywhere, no matter how often we North Americans point out that in these parts a niche sport is exactly what it is.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

On June 16 Canada will be playing Russian in a test in Ottawa in Union.

On June 16 the Wolfpack will be playing Dewsbury Rams in League.

If Parksider is right then the test should easily outdraw the Wolfpack...does anyone in their right mind honestly think that is going to happen?   Didn't think so.

Let's all be clear just what those two matches involve.  One involves a Canadian national team playing one of Canada's two major rivals in world sports. the other involves Toronto playing a team from an unknown English town a tad smaller than Chicoutimi.  By rights the former should easily draw better even in the niche sport of RU just because it's Canada vs. Russia. We shall see which gets a bigger crowd.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Why not????  You should see what the gov't spends money on over here.  The thing they want to know is, "Can we win a medal out of this....if we can, then fund it!"   If the athletes are carded and the organizing committees get some money then we can begin to move up to the next level.....get 9's in the Commonwealth Games and the money and organizational structure will start to flow...gotta be able to say we are going for a medal somewhere  to make it happen though.

Well, it’s not chicken and egg, the sport would need including in C Games first. It hasn’t been through lack of trying to have RL 9s included in the C Games either.

Using your accurate theory of medal chances being the catalyst for funding (albeit for a relatively minor world event like the C Games), then nations outside of Fiji, PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Wales such as Canada, Jamaica, Kenya and SA would all need to demonstrate a potential to beat those aforementioned nations and then demonstrate further, their potential to defeat one of either Aus, NZ or Eng to even get a medal. 

Then, don’t forget, WC nations like Leb, USA, Italy and France are not even in the Commonwealth. What grand scale medal (even if they could miraculously demonstrate a chance of winning it) are those nations to use as a dangling carrot for govt spending?

9s is not a waste, but in my opinion, neither is it the vehicle to untold riches and exposure of our sport on a global scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

As usual you misunderstood, maybe on purpose, so I'll spell out what I meant for you.

My statement was in reference to the game's profile in the UK and France.  If you want to get thousands more young Brits and French to want to play RL, the game's profile over there has be raised first.  As the BBC's response to Toronto's progress when they broadcast their match with Warrington shows, North America is the key to achieving that.

Whether you want to accept it or not, there are thousands of athletes over here who have transferable skills and could potentially be interested in playing pro RL if and when the game's profile makes it appealing to them which clearly hasn't happened yet.  As with the potential TV deals, that too won't happen with only one team from here playing the game.

And even if that were not the case, the RFL is certainly not competent to manage the inclusion of half a dozen teams over here and the associated issues based on its track record with past expansion ventures.  Only the formation of a brand new league modelled on North American pro leagues could make the transatlantic vision fly in my opinion.

The BBC of course broadcast the Toronto match with Warrington because it was a chance to show the nation on terrestrial TV this new Transatlantic dawn.

But what did they get? A wholly Aussie owned club, playing a wholly Anglo/Aussie side of mainly ex-Leigh players, managed by familiar English faces like Paul Rowley and Uncle Nobby Noble. 

Not a single Canadian in sight, and a wholly embarrassing bad losers performance that was a disgrace. As TWP players were ordered from the field, the "match" became a farce, so how can you go around claiming this match was some sort of catalyst to "America" providing the key to a transatlantic league, which then attracts all these American players and American Investors.

Repetetive posts week by week month by month and year on year claiming that tomorrow will bring an avalanche of young American RL players and wealthy American investors isn't any sort of debate. You have to face the reality that there has been zero reaction from American sports investors and players to TWP. The only reaction is the attendance of a few thousand fans who help reduce the massive losses the venture makes.

The deadline for New York and an alleged Boston passed at the end of April, both notably English backed applications not American and despite other names being thrown about there are no signs of any more applications, so with great respect to you good sir, how do you seriously expect myself and thousands of RL fans across the globe to accept that somehow America is the key?

By all means my good RL loving friend, join the family of RL and make the game a bigger better game, but please do it by following Jason Moore and actually developing existing real NA clubs in Toronto and in the USARL towards providing the best home grown teams you can for the 2025 World Cup.  That was why this whole thing started, and as Moore commented the Perez way isn't the way to do it. All it is is an Aussie wanting his own club at the top table.

Edited by The Parksider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ojx said:

A northern hemisphere Six Nations involving: Ireland, Wales, France (maybe U23?), USA, Jamaica and Canada would be fantastic. It should be played without heritage players.

And without spectators, most likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As annoying and disinterested as they may be, we simply cannot have an International game without the Southern Hemisphere Nations. 

Firstly, Australia and New Zealand are two of the three best nations on the planet and then the Islands of Fiji, PNG, Tonga and Samoa are the next best set of sides, who also draw their players from the NRL. Compare that with the Northern hemisphere, it’s England and then...erm...whoever can put the best side together from Wales, Ireland and Scotland and then France. That would simply be an awful level of Rugby League, the interest in it would be awful, the crowds would be equally as bad and the interest on tv would be appalling. 

What we really need is a governing body that governs the game at every level across the world, whether it’s Wath Brow, Brisbane Broncos or Red Star Belgrade, who take charge of the International game as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well, it’s not chicken and egg, the sport would need including in C Games first. It hasn’t been through lack of trying to have RL 9s included in the C Games either.

Using your accurate theory of medal chances being the catalyst for funding (albeit for a relatively minor world event like the C Games), then nations outside of Fiji, PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Wales such as Canada, Jamaica, Kenya and SA would all need to demonstrate a potential to beat those aforementioned nations and then demonstrate further, their potential to defeat one of either Aus, NZ or Eng to even get a medal. 

Then, don’t forget, WC nations like Leb, USA, Italy and France are not even in the Commonwealth. What grand scale medal (even if they could miraculously demonstrate a chance of winning it) are those nations to use as a dangling carrot for govt spending?

9s is not a waste, but in my opinion, neither is it the vehicle to untold riches and exposure of our sport on a global scale.

Its part of the answer...lets get started!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Parksider said:

To "get the game established in North America" requires as Perez indicates six north american clubs to be operating in Superleague. Take out six Superleague clubs from Europe to make way for them and the "games profile in Europe" is going to drop off a cliff isn't it?

Perez told us in 2016 that "big numbers of young guys will want to play it" and that they would adapt quickly. TWP are well funded, have made great strides and sit in pole position to enter Superleague next season so where exactly are these "young guys" wanting to play it?? 

Ryan Burroughs is being touted on here as a young player being developed towards more North Americans playing RL. It's a joke. Burroughs is a mature USA International not an academy player.

I could with help name you thousands of "Young guys wanting to play it" in North America, the problem being for us they are already doing this in North American Rugby Union.

The "limited appeal" is clearly there  when you look at the number of North Americans participating in Rugby Union as opposed to Rugby League. The two games have gone head to head for decades and Union has simply won the day. You again repeat the "transferable skills" mantra, but even Eric Perez abandoned this early last year when he switched the idea to maybe Chinese athletes being the ones who would flock to populate North American club RL rosters.

There was a suggestion in the RL press today that RL fans here were not welcoming to the enthusiasm that has emanated from Canada. I welcome you good sir as a fellow RL fan as much as I would welcome any fellow RL fan just down the road from me. However I do not welcome with respect the the falsehoods you continually peddle, nor any "development plan" that merely aims to take from the game rather than add to it.

Back to the reality and the only "Northern Hemisphere" international option to help grow the game  is clearly France. If this is the way to stem our decline (marked out by the strugggles of Widnes and Salford) let's forget the pointless play offs and hoist Toulouse into SL.

I'm not surprised that things have gone quiet re New York and Boston.  Neither city has the same demographics favourable to the concept as Toronto, so getting a crowd in either place to see a team work its through the divisions of an English league is going to be much more difficult in either place.  And if both were backed/run by outsiders they'd be even less likely to pull that off.  Along with the RFL's past bungling of expansion efforts, that's another reason why that particular model isn't likely to work.

The big numbers of young guys wanting to play RL over don't exist yet.  The Wolfpack don't have yet a high enough profile to get them interested, and even playing in the top tier of the English game likely won't achieve that either.  It almost certainly won't happen without several top-level pro teams over here.

An all-American pro league might not be feasible either, because RL's present following over here in America is modest and spread out; Toronto has drawn spectators from as far away as Ottawa and they have yet to sell out Lamport Stadium .  Any idea that the USARL clubs represent a possible foundation is ludicrous because none of them have the sort of well-heeled backers needed to launch a pro league, and without something unique to attract the general sports fan to a new and unfamiliar game who would want to buy a franchise?

That's where the transatlantic element comes in.  It would give a new league a unique point of difference from all of the established leagues over here which can attract some of the general sports fans, and maybe a lot of them if every franchise does everything it possibly to get them interested.  The Wolfpack has shown a way to give newcomers to the game a great experience so they'll come back for more if they'll just come along to check it out when it kicks off.

The transatlantic element is key to raising the game's profile over there too.  How else will a London team have opponents to play which can attract Londoners to the game?  Without raising the game's profile a lot, how will Wales and France (let alone anyone else) ever advance to be credible International opponents for England?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RayCee said:

The thread was to talk about NH RL options internationally. Any suggestions on a positive note Parksider? 

I'm still waiting Parky. It doesn’t have to be a tome, just an idea thrown out there for us to discuss. It’s a genuine request, I would welcome anything suggestion that can move the game forward internationally.

Edited by RayCee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here