Sign in to follow this  
Monkeymagic22

Gaz Hock

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/hock-pens-new-rovers-deal-I3GTb

Well, this has cheered me right up. I thought we must have a good chance of getting him back next year because of how much he clearly loves it at Fev and his age/history likely to deter SL clubs, but I'm very pleased to see it confirmed. Has improved week on week as he got fitter and played about 55 of the 80 minutes at Blackpool and turned in a fantastic performance, you wouldn't have guessed he was 34 if you didn't know.

As an aside, does anyone know if the disciplinary met last night,as is usually the case for Championship players (ie Thursdays)? Nothing on the RFL page or their Twitter account and the incident with Sharp could go either way for Hock I'd say.

59 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

May have been some doubters, but for me he’s been great. Really happy that Gaz has signed on for next season as well.

....guilty as charged,  he’s been really good, showed excellent maturity and he must have worked very hard to get into shape, over the past few games, he’s made a difference....I wasn’t sure how committed he’d be but he’s shown 100% so far this season and I really hope it continues.....just need young Walters from Leeds on our books and we’re laughing 😂😂😂😂, imo of course!!

Great news that, some idiot on FB would like Rangi Chase, surely we wouldn't touch him with a barge pole! It's all well and good given people second chances but after what he did to Rapati he must NEVER play for this club, that's my opinion anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure rangi would come to fev.

I don't think the sociological exchanges were exactly to his liking during his previous visit!!!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Great news that, some idiot on FB would like Rangi Chase, surely we wouldn't touch him with a barge pole! It's all well and good given people second chances but after what he did to Rapati he must NEVER play for this club, that's my opinion anyway. 

Agree I hope he never pulls on a rovers shirt .

• Like 1

Somewhat sceptical when he signed, but he has got stuck in and not let us down. We now want to discard Moore and spend the money on another prop. Moore, age for age, isn't a patch on Hock IMO.

Rangi Chase is a quality player, just a shame that he can’t get his head right. Personally I’d take him on at Fev, but like Robin said, it’s never happening.

Great news about Gaz Hock! We now need news on Tom Holmes. Hope he also signs a new deal with us instead of the rumoured moves to either Salford, Trinity, or Toronto!

Spoke to Hock when he first signed. Came over well and said he had come here to do a good job. I am pleased he has proved the doubters wrong. No substitute for class. 

Ever since I saw him beat us solo for Wigan against us in the cup at home I have admired him and liked him from the start,although slightly concerned about his discipline he seems to mostly got that in check.He is without doubt our best forward and I think Moore has run his course.Our Fullback position has been the downside for me so far and I wouldn’t bother anymore with Mitch Clarke , not only for his ill childlike discipline at times but the fact that deep down he doesn’t want to be here at Fev.Anyway its been a bit depressing of late and Hocks further contract has the sun shining again.

He’s a top player that’s been proven by the clubs that have qued up for his signature when he’s been available he probably would have achieved more if he would have had a more stable of field life.. but he’s matured now and it looks like we are the ones to benefit I personally think he’s captain  material he leads by example and is respected by his team mates but whatever role he plays let’s just keep getting behind him 

Chase is banned until the middle of July next year and will then be 33. Ignoring all his other baggage it's a big risk for any club taking on someone that old after 2 years out of the game.

he is a better player than i ever gave him credit for, hes got everything, i realise now hes got no real disiplinary problem he just knows when the screw must be turned for the benefit of his team and sometimes he cops a ban for it. Fantastic player

• Like 1

This discussion, regarding Hock, Moore and Chase, brings to the fore, the fact that many of our top class players, from the highest order down through the leagues are now in their low and mid thirties. With no reserve set up and a lack of investment in our grass roots, can I envisage a time when the bulk of our players throughout the game will be antipodean?.

Great news re  Hock, but as well covered here the squad needs more quality in a number of key positions. Assuming we make top four, the middle eights will be as tough and wearing as May was and changes need to be made if we're really going to compete, respecting the financial constraints that exist around this. If we do make top four I hope we're targeting some players who could be recruited to help with the demands of the play offs and beyond.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eternal Rover said:

Great news re  Hock, but as well covered here the squad needs more quality in a number of key positions. Assuming we make top four, the middle eights will be as tough and wearing as May was and changes need to be made if we're really going to compete, respecting the financial constraints that exist around this. If we do make top four I hope we're targeting some players who could be recruited to help with the demands of the play offs and beyond.

Agree with this.

We have the best squad of players ever in recent memory imo but whilst there are no obvious weak links we lack a couple of top quality players to be able to complete at the level we want to be at. Watching the London v Toulouse game highlighted abilities of the likes of Sammut, Ford and Kheirallah. Hock almost won us the game but we need a couple of others of his quality. If M.C. And Duffy can find these extra players to add to such as Hock, Ridyard, Holmes and Briscoe and secure them within our budget ( a tough ask) then it could be Game On, if we have enough left to still make the top four.

How quickly things can change...81 days ago we were pretty unanimous that this extra year on Hock's contract was something to be celebrated, and now we have been forced to "agree mutual terms" for a release on his contract.

I hate after-timing but it does seem strange with the benefit of hindsight that we gave one of our top earners another year when we had just lost the Summer Bash and were therefore far from certain to make the top 4, if we knew were going to be in the grim financial position that appears to be the case if we didn't make the top 4.. Perhaps it was felt we had to move fast after his Summer Bash display, I don't know, but he only played 5 more games for us.

I'm normally quite positive about the future but although we have seen plenty of similar traumas at Fev over the years it's starting to feel like the end of an era. 

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

How quickly things can change...81 days ago we were pretty unanimous that this extra year on Hock's contract was something to be celebrated, and now we have been forced to "agree mutual terms" for a release on his contract.

I hate after-timing but it does seem strange with the benefit of hindsight that we gave one of our top earners another year when we had just lost the Summer Bash and were therefore far from certain to make the top 4, if we knew were going to be in the grim financial position that appears to be the case if we didn't make the top 4.. Perhaps it was felt we had to move fast after his Summer Bash display, I don't know, but he only played 5 more games for us.

I'm normally quite positive about the future but although we have seen plenty of similar traumas at Fev over the years it's starting to feel like the end of an era. 

It does have that sort of feeling doesn't it. 

Obviously it's easy to look back with hindsight, however it does appear to have been a little hasty to offer him another 12 months on a contract which needed top 4 funding. I wonder if there was a threat of him signing for someone else that forced the issue, or just no thought at that time we may miss out on the 4.

If we have been offering contracts out on a wing and a prayer of making the top 4 then it is time to reap what we have sown. It never ceases to amaze me how intelligent competent people who are in charge of the club constantly mess up in the contract department. Surely don't be offering contacts unless you are certain they can be met from current budgets and don't terminate contracts if there is a chance you will lose a tribunal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Summed up very well. I am not optimistic for the future

We missed out on the 4 before, and managed. Thing is though, this is going to feel different as it's the end of a period of growth for us, as I'd suspect next year will be the first time the wage bill has been lower than the year before for a good number of years. In my mind, we should still be capable of pushing to be the best of the PT clubs in 2019, however that my mean slipping back down the table. It's where we have to accept we are, unless we can find a way of significantly boosting our income. 

Like it or not, the right decisions are being made to ensure we remain sustainable. Should we have saved some of this year's budget for a rainy day, just in case? Who knows, but we'd quite possibly have ended up further away than we did, had we not "rolled the dice".