Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Dear Diary

19 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is unfortunate that grammar is easy to teach and pronunciation.   

I recall Danish lessons.  Grammar lessons consisted of weeks of going over the same straight forward, easy rule for those unwilling to learn it, whereas pronunciation was covered with "No, not like that, get your non-existent Danish husband to teach you".

My post was a bit flippant really, I don't regret the pedantic instruction to the software as I know pronunciation is my weak point.  The extra detail involves it breaking down some words (not sure if it learns where I'm weak or it just happens that I'm weak on the bits it's teaching in extra detail) into explicitly pronounced syllables that it grades as it goes.

The unfortunate side-effect is that I find myself using my hands to help emphasise the proper diction of the words in a stereotypically Italian way :(

• Haha 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

A grandmother is trying to claim compensation from a holiday company saying there were too many Spaniards in her hotel in BENIDORM!

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

I'm glad a battery flogging, rude, arrogant bully is having a hard time of it and can't wait for fresh beginnings, even if that means starting from scratch.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

19 hours ago, ckn said:

I've just done an hour of my Rosetta Stone language training in Italian and I'm beginning to regret ticking the box that tells it to be pedantic about my pronunciation :( It doesn't half remind me of both school and signals training in the army where I repeatedly got picked up for running my words into each other.  Clear. Diction. Includes. Separating. Words.

I suppose it's good that it is doing that but it isn't playing to my lazy side...

I’ve been going on Duolingo three weeks . Doing ok but  link words like the , a , those , them , theirs etc and masculine , feminine , singular , plural etc are tough 

People must think I'm proper nosy looking at their profiles, when in fact it's just my fat fingers hitting their names instead of the last post

• Haha 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

11 minutes ago, amm said:

People must think I'm proper nosy looking at their profiles, when in fact it's just my fat fingers hitting their names instead of the last post

I knew I had a Twitter stalker

:D

• Confused 1

Last bit of the new kitchen jigsaw puzzle put in place today, we can now cook again. Just a bit of plastering a lick of paint and all done and dusted.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 hours ago, amm said:

Glad I'm not the only one 

• Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I quite like spiders and the role they play in our domestic society.

What I don't like is when they share my shower with me and decide to announce themselves by popping out from behind the shower handle to say "hello".  Especially when they're one of the Giant House Spiders* we have here.

* for our antipodean forum members, that's their name, they're tiny compared to the ones you might see but can comfortably touch all sides of a pint glass when it's over them...

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

My wife asked me to take it out rather than kill it...  so I did.  We went for a morning coffee and a chat.  He's a nice guy really.  Wants to be a web developer.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

My wife asked me to take it out rather than kill it...  so I did.  We went for a morning coffee and a chat.  He's a nice guy really.  Wants to be a web developer.

That one has got legs.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

42 minutes ago, ckn said:

Are you sure he wasn’t just spinning you a line

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Are you sure he wasn’t just spinning you a line

Thanks to him, there’s no flies on me.

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Thanks to him, there’s no flies on me.

I thought I spied a long thread here

So, what do you call a Giant House Spider, who has just, suddenly been made homeless by his cruel, wicked, evil landlord? Isn't there enough homeless on the streets these days? You should be ashamed CKN.

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

So, what do you call a Giant House Spider, who has just, suddenly been made homeless by his cruel, wicked, evil landlord? Isn't there enough homeless on the streets these days? You should be ashamed CKN.

A freeloading spider doesn't get squatter's rights in this house.  I'm not without sympathy, it can have the garage or shed all to itself, there's far more food for it there and I'm far less likely to be disturbed by a scream from my wife if they just stay out.

By evicting this poor spider, has Craig just destroyed his moderator's "spidey sense"?

Things might never be the same round here.

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

11 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

By evicting this poor spider, has Craig just destroyed his moderator's "spidey sense"?

Things might never be the same round here.

No, I first took it up to the nearby Sizewell nuclear power plant, let it have an irradiated swim, let it bite me then threw the thing out.  I've learned from what I've seen on telly...

(I'm wondering how many NSA/GCHQ flags I can trigger today)

• Haha 1

Just because i couldnt think of a better thread for it as feeling a proud father today - son got his Alevel results today A*A*A*B & probably another A (his and another less able candidates coursework have been muddled so currently showing a B), was very worried when he said he was going to try for 5 ALevels but he obviously knew best

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ckn said:

No, I first took it up to the nearby Sizewell nuclear power plant, let it have an irradiated swim, let it bite me then threw the thing out.  I've learned from what I've seen on telly...

(I'm wondering how many NSA/GCHQ flags I can trigger today)

I had an MRI scan yesterday, Mrs Shadow told me to make sure nothing got in with me as she didn't want me turning into Jeff Goldblum. 

It was the full monty with Gadolinium contrast tracer injection. 

I'm having my Cardioversion tomorrow that I expect to combine with the irradiated Gadoilinium and trigger some superpowers.
Keep watching the skies. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

Just now, Shadow said:

I had an MRI scan yesterday, Mrs Shadow told me to make sure nothing got in with me as she didn't want me turning into Jeff Goldblum. 

It was the full monty with Gadolinium contrast tracer injection. 

I'm having my Cardioversion tomorrow that I expect to combine with the irradiated Gadoilinium and trigger some superpowers.
Keep watching the skies. 

Ahh, cardioversion, is that the Frankenstein's monster start-up sequence?  It's when the doctor goes "he's alive!" afterwards that you wonder which crisp packet they got their degree from ?

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Ahh, cardioversion, is that the Frankenstein's monster start-up sequence?  It's when the doctor goes "he's alive!" afterwards that you wonder which crisp packet they got their degree from ?

That's pretty much it, although I prefer to think Tony Stark rather than Viktor Frankentein. 

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2018 at 4:24 PM, amm said:

I've also got a bad  case of sausagefingeritis !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Did a 6 mile paddle of Ullswater this morning. Absolutely stunning. 

Any water left in it? I thought United Utilities, who get a lot of their (?) water from the Lake District, were predicting the impending desertification of the entire North West recently?

PS. Glad you enjoyed your paddle.

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.