Sign in to follow this  

On 6/9/2018 at 7:58 AM, Robin Evans said:

boullabaise.

With white or rose?

I can't wait just a few weeks now!

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

That'll be expensive then, as there 96 of them, and 5 overseas department, including Guadaloupe (where they film "Death in Paradise"), French Guyana, Martinique, Mayotte & Réunion.

No just L'hexagon, outre mer means flying and I've just got the feeling back in my fingers from the last time we were on a plane and that was two decades ago. Aviophobia is the missus' complaint loss of circulation becomes mine if I mention vehicles with wings.

I must admit I was looking for a bit more specific stuff with actual products eg the Olives at L'oulibo in Bize Minervois you know ....

Edited by Oxford

Not got that many fond memories of France.

1. Went with mates to Antibes in mid 80's, met an Italian lass and had the wonderful experience of visiting my GP when I got home.

2. Went to Paris by coach around 1990 with the wife to be and her colleagues from WMDC Housing department.  Coach dropped us off as Mont Marte and we walked to Eiffel tower.  Slap bang under the Eiffel tower the wife to be slumped to the floor and had an epileptic fit.  She had two night in hospital and we flew home club class with the insurance.  Never saw hotel.

3.  Went back to Paris in 1993.  Wife was pregnant and we took my parents and in laws .... what could go wrong?  Got dropped off by the coach at the Hotel round 7pm. Ate, went to bed, woke up next day to find the Coach and driver had fecked off back to blighty as the travel company had gone bust and the coach company had not been paid.  All in party chipped in to hire a coach to take us to Calais.  There me and a lass who could speak French persuaded the ferry company to let us all on board before the thousands of other stranded holidaymakers arrived there.

At Dover I saw a coach bound for Leeds.  It had 4 seats unoccupied. We paid him £10 per seat for my wife, my parents and mother in law.  Luckily enough it was going to end up at the Wallace Arnold depot just outside Cas.

Me and Father in law got a coach to London then another to Leeds.

France, you can stick it up your arrondissement

On 6/4/2018 at 1:17 PM, Dave T said:

Thanks, but to be clear, I am happy to fly into wherever and then drive...

I was thinking of South.

Such a big subject Dave cos' France is a big place with diverse geography and even diverse cultures.

I first lived in Normandy in the '70s and loved it except for the climate then gradually moved further south. I've been in the Charentes / Haute Vienne (Angouleme/Limoges) area since the '80s and have had a great time. I'm now selling up and buying a place in Albi which is a lovely area and handy for Toulouse, Carcassonne etc.

Where would I recommend you visit ? Wow, imosible question....but the south-west is brilliant with it's culture and history so maybe fly into Carcassonne, hire a car and head for Narbonne, then down to Perpignan, head west  and then north to Limoux then up to Albi the up to Villefranche de Rouergugue then west over to Cahors then over to Villeneuve sur Lot taking in Marmande the down to Toulouse then off to Agen and Auch to the west of Toulouse, down with a short drive to to St Gaudens in the Pyrenees then back to Carcassonne and Lourdes and Foix.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

😁 put a "sad" emoji on oiseau post because I am sad that I'm not going soon.

If I had the opportunity to live there, I think my choices would near Lyon, Carcassonne, or Corsica.

Edited by Bleep1673

It' a great country Bleep, I lived in Normandy in the 70s when I wa in the MN, went bac to the UK when I left the sea ut couldn't wait to get back to France so I packed n my UK job, upped sticks and took a gamble. I/we survived and thirty odd years later i'm still here but further south. I took a gamble and it paid off tho' I know many who couldn't survive and had to return.

Lyon is nice but I wouldn't enjoy the colder winters. Also, it's he only place i've been in France where my car ha been vandalised so I wouldn't live there ! Don't know Corsica. Carcassonne is great but quite windy  and windy and dusty in summer. Albi is brilliant as is Toulouse but if I had the choice I would live in Cahors, Auch, Villeneuve sur Lot  or Agen. It's just a personal thing. I like Perpignan but couldn't live there.

19 hours ago, Oxford said:

I love Correze

You could buy a Michelin tyre as the representative local product? I prefer Creuse in that part of France though.

Last time we were there was a few years ago and I tried to persuade my kids that the Dordogne valley was so called because it was home of the world championships of flicking a ruler on the end of the desk, but they weren't having it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I prefer Creuse

I live there not enough wine! And no TGG! Like a description of the Gobi Desert.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I live there not enough wine! And no TGG! Like a description of the Gobi Desert.

Flipping cold in winter tho' mate !! We occasionally drive over to Gueret for a nibble.

It' a bit milder over here in the Hte Vienne.

12 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

France, you can stick it up your arrondissement

I don't think France was the problem from your stories ... er  .... you were!🙂

6 minutes ago, oiseau said:

Flipping cold in winter

Flippin' cold doesn't do it justice Minus 7 is a balmy day and it makes Barrow look tropical!

Thought, as I'm here and doing what I posted about on this thread I'd mention it.

Part of looking for stuff Regional/Local was organic products.

In Cabestany the wine cooperative now do a Bio Rose.

And we went to an organic olive oil producer and had a tour it's very small and didn't demand too much of an effort. But then we tried the oils. Absolutely Magic stuff. Bought far too many, spent far too much.

He even had a couple of oils made with olives that were particular to the area(?) and one with piment d'espellete!

We're going somewhere else on Monday if it's any good I'll put it on here.

• Like 1