Whitehaven

The problem with spending within their limits is that they could end up being more like the "expansion" teams on the field - getting hammered by clubs with more money. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The problem with spending within their limits is that they could end up being more like the "expansion" teams on the field - getting hammered by clubs with more money. 

And clubs couldn't have that.......... Better to risk going out of business than being a bit less competitive on the field. You can then also be critical of expansion teams (who live within their means) and what they bring to the game. 

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

And clubs couldn't have that.......... Better to risk going out of business than being a bit less competitive on the field. You can then also be critical of expansion teams (who live within their means) and what they bring to the game. 

Indeed - if West Wales go bust nobody's going to be passing a bucket round to help them out.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

47 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Indeed - if West Wales go bust nobody's going to be passing a bucket round to help them out.

...and why would WWR be any less deserving than Haven?? If anything, there's a good case for them being more deserving for being the only semi-pro team in that area... at least there's Worky and Barrow up Haven's neck of the woods...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

...and why would WWR be any less deserving than Haven?? If anything, there's a good case for them being more deserving for being the only semi-pro team in that area... at least there's Worky and Barrow up Haven's neck of the woods...

Perhaps someone could tell both of us. I'm just stating the received heartland wisom - that being that the traditional clubs deserve help and support when they screw up but expansion clubs are leeches taking away money and deserve to go to the wall.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:23 AM, The Parksider said:

What is super about two very small clubs becoming one very small club? How do 700 died in the wool Town or 700 died in the wool Haven fans get their traditional chops around Cumbria RLFC? Great chance for many to call it a day. Who wants to back a new club in a backwater, when nobody wants to back  Salford or Widnes anymore? How do you shunt a club from one town to the other and back again every other match, who is going to pay for the players, where will they come from, why would they want to be travelling up and down to Cumbria? Koukash has twice tried to buy Bulls and is hanging around Odsal not Cumbria, suppose he has to spout off about something whilst he waits for his chance at Bradford.

Is it really?

A season in L1 and a season in CC will deplete their already inadequate investment plan........

"No one in New York City is talking about rugby league. A fair reflection of the local media attention the announcement created is to note there was no local media attention given to it at all. The reason is this proposed team will play in another country in a competition that no one knows about against teams that no one hates, the number one reason this venture is doomed is that only about 57 people care about rugby league in New York City. The rest don’t even know what rugby league is.

The application named Red Bulls stadium as the team’s home ground. New York Red Bulls average around 21,000 fans per game. That’s for a team with the might of Red Bull marketing behind it, for a team that is 23 years old, a team with a large marketing and sales department working every single day for it, competing in an established league, in a region that is a soccer hotbed, with positive media coverage and has boasted Premier League stars like Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill in its ranks.

In New York sports fans can choose between the Yankees, the Mets, the Red Bulls, New York City FC, the Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey Devils, New York Liberty, and Sky Blue FC. Not to mention the Giants and Jets.

Matthew Bailey knows rugby league in New York he is the CEO of Brooklyn Kings, an amateur team that plays in the USA Rugby League competition. He is a sponsorship manager for the NBA Brooklyn Nets (basketball). “There are some people who think rugby league is going to be the next big thing. The crowd numbers NYCRL are quoting are absolutely not attainable and unrealistic.”

Dr Koukash has had his name linked with Swinton,Oldham soccer club,and was up in Cumbria before Workington got a mention about a new stadium.

It was because of 'stadiums' that he was linked with Swinton Lions and the soccer club at Oldham

Dr Koukash does have 'property developer' attached to his name.

That was the case before he took over at Salford - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/merseyside-based-businessman-racehorse-owner-dr-3325270

The situation at Odsal  may be the reason for his interest.

On topic,if Whitehaven have already sold season tickets for next year - to ensure they complete the fixtures this season - they may require more than the sponsorship from Carlsberg.

I think more news is expected over the next few days.  

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On last weeks backchat they discussed how teams are doing NOTHING to understand why people aren't coming to matches and how they should be marketing to get people in the stadiums. It's hard to feel bad for people not doing much to help themselves. why did some budget for avg attendances more than double than what they are getting and have historically had? That's juts bad planning and not the fans fault. It's not the fans fault that people who don't know what they are doing are running the clubs into the ground so telling them to come out or their clubs will be gone because of their lack of support is BS. is there even enough support locally to make these 3 clubs viable actually or is that all a false dream and wasted   money in the end? Very honest question that must be answered honestly before anything else is done.

• 1 month later...

Not sure where else to post this, so thought this thread would be the best place.

I was hoping to give a few pointers to any Whitehaven fans making the journey to York on 23rd September - this should be a huge crowd so thought I'd give advice on parking, tickets etc. It's clear not many use their totalrl forum. I've tried joining the forum I believe they use http://www.havenfans.co.uk/ but registration is currently disabled which is bizarre!

Any Marra's out there who can help me out?

21 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Not sure where else to post this, so thought this thread would be the best place.

I was hoping to give a few pointers to any Whitehaven fans making the journey to York on 23rd September - this should be a huge crowd so thought I'd give advice on parking, tickets etc. It's clear not many use their totalrl forum. I've tried joining the forum I believe they use http://www.havenfans.co.uk/ but registration is currently disabled which is bizarre!

Ive sent the forum Mod a message for you,don't know what the problem is.

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

If you use Facebook try 'Trust in Haven' fans post on there

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Archived