Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Whitehaven

44 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Why don’t you buy and run the club

38 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Because some people like to talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. 

Grow up, eh? In any case, I have been FD of businesses far larger than most if not all RL clubs, so I do not need to justify my opinion to anyone.

17 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

its a shame that people who supposedly are lovers of rugby league cannot wait to have a dig at and mock and even add wide off the mark speculation and insinuations towards a club who are in seemingly difficult times . 

I agree with this.

As a Bradford Bulls fan, I've seen my own club go through some tortuous times, and as a fan, you're just a powerless bystander to whatever shenanigans are going on behind the scenes, however the urge to want to 'do something' to help your club survive is almost primal.

Clubs are businesses after all, why should we have any emotional attachment to them? But we all do. Some businesses are run better than others, some make catastrophic mistakes, others are victims of circumstance, but I wouldn't want to see any RL club go to the wall, quite honestly.

Club owners, like coaches and players, will always come and go, but fans stick like glue. Fewer than we might want, when times get tough, but it is human nature that more people will want to follow success than endure hardship.

I know I'm fortunate as a Bradfordian, that my local club has a wider support base to draw on during its own hard times, that will hopefully see it through to something bigger and better in future, but I also know that it probably wouldn't exist at all if the rest of the RL community had turned its back completely when things seemed impossibly bleak. 

So I hope the RL community will rally round for Whitehaven too.

I'll be heading up to the Recre next Sunday for the Bulls away game, and I'll be happy to chuck some extra cash in to any bucket collection that takes place on the day.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DEANO said:

And I wasn’t crowing. I wasn’t even there. I was just pointing out that haven must only have 400 speccies for one of the bigger games of the season. Good luck for the future

The crowd was 640 with app 40 from York I would say so that means 600 home supporters. Check your figures first. 

2 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

The crowd was 640 with app 40 from York I would say so that means 600 home supporters. Check your figures first. 

600 isn't great, not for one of the bigger home matches Haven will contest this season. It's not that long ago - mid-1980s? - the club's average gate was three times that many!

56 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It sounds like , we’ve got ourselves into a big mess mismanaging things ( again ) , bail us out or it’s really really dire ( again ) so we can carry on as normal and it’ll all come right to a great future , and honestly this is the last last time . Cheers . What’s next , an advert on telly ?

They maybe should have waited to the transfer deadline,enforced a pay cut and waited for 3 local businessesmen to bail them out.

• Like 1

Just now, Davo5 said:

They maybe should have waited to the transfer deadline,enforced a pay cut and waited for 3 local businessesmen to bail them out.

Plan b maybe

22 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

600 isn't great, not for one of the bigger home matches Haven will contest this season. It's not that long ago - mid-1980s? - the club's average gate was three times that many!

Unfortunately sign of the times for many clubs.

13 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

Unfortunately sign of the times for many clubs.

It is , but it shouldnt be for both of us . We all talk about the interest , the hotbed , the fan base . They are there , they’ve turned up in bigger numbers before . Really four figures should be a given . Very sad really even when teams are doing well . Why ?

Edited by DavidM

It's all my fault.  In the past, I regularly watched Blackpool Borough, then Chorley Borough and a few weeks ago we went down from Glasgow to watch Whitehaven and look at houses in the area.  There's a pattern developing.

Seriously though, I hope they make it.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

It's all my fault.  In the past, I regularly watched Blackpool Borough, then Chorley Borough and a few weeks ago we went down from Glasgow to watch Whitehaven and look at houses in the area.  There's a pattern developing.

Seriously though, I hope they make it.  

Ever considered living in Huddersfield?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

" As stated earlier in the week the club are looking to raise £60,000 to cover a budget shortfall which is crucial in developing the new consortiums three year plan. While this is not the full figure that is needed. Stuart and his consortium believe this is a figure that can show that the residents and businesses of Whitehaven want to keep Rugby League in the town.’  (my emphasis).

This seems clearly to be what the purpose is. As I said earlier, in a post that attracted a couple of rather juvenile responses, I very much doubt donations from outside the town and hinterland, or the fanbase, will help achieve the objective so clearly explained in that statement.  If I thought they would, I would donate as I have done in the past numerous times where a club seemed to be facing an existential crisis.

11 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

While this is not the full figure that is needed. Stuart and his consortium believe this is a figure that can show that the residents and businesses of Whitehaven want to keep Rugby League in the town.’  (my emphasis).

A very sensible approach I would say

If 'the RL family' bale out Whitehaven, and there is no evidence that the local community want to support the club, then why would any consortium want to 'invest' (which usually means 'losing their money')? In another 12-24 months they'd be back to square one, asking for help to meet the next shortfall

Providentially, Whitehaven's next home game their best chance to demonstrate support, as it's the visit of the Bulls. Dare I say, the biggest game of the season? Can they get a gate of, say, 2000? Not that much of a stretch given there'll probably be 700-800 Bulls fans making the trip. £15 per person and you've got £30K straight away. Yes, I realise some already have season tickets etc, but it would still be a decent income, boosted by food, bar taking, merchandise, a bucket collection etc.

If there's only 1300 there, half of them from Bradford, then it wouldn't exactly demonstrate to a consortium that the town wants a semi-pro team.

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

Ever considered living in Huddersfield?

The better half was checking out Fashion and Design courses at the college in Huddersfield only last week!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Sorry. The figure I read on the fans forum said 500 with a hundred from york

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

It is , but it shouldnt be for both of us . We all talk about the interest , the hotbed , the fan base . They are there , they’ve turned up in bigger numbers before . Really four figures should be a given . Very sad really even when teams are doing well . Why ?

Its a combination of factors over the years , SKY , SL , lower leagues overlooking locals for average aussies and fading has beens looking for a final pay deal on over inflated wages , no reserve team squads , the ridiculous dr system which discourages good local amateurs from turning semi pro etc , etc people who walk away from any sport very rarely return if major changes or improvements arent made and the next generation werent then taken to watch games because of their disgruntled Fathers 

Edited by Anonymouse

....not forgetting the fact that not enough locals seem to want to support the club enough to make it viable and sustainable.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

....not forgetting the fact that not enough locals seem to want to support the club enough to make it viable and sustainable.

I thought that was the built in message and point I was making

Edited by Anonymouse

Posted by the club on their FB page two hours ago:

"Whitehaven RLFC have today agreed a deal with Serbian rugby league team Red Star Belgrade subject to the financial targets being met by the club.

The consortium led by Stuart Harvey has worked around the clock this week to ensure Whitehaven secured this partnership ahead of a number of other clubs including interest from an unnamed super league club.

Stuart Harvey has completed the deal with serial entrepreneur Colin Kleyweg who is Managing Director & co-owner of Red Star Belgrade Rugby League although he is based out of Perth, Western Australia.

Harvey said that this will create a pathway for the elite Serbian players to come to Cumbria and work with our academy structure from 2019 and vice versa. We are also working on a proposal that will see Red Star play Whitehaven as part of our pre season.

Mr. Kleyweg who is a very experienced businessman with business interests across Australia and Europe is currently considering a proposal to invest into Whitehaven RLFC and take a leading role alongside Harvey.

Red Star Belgrade RLFC (WA) Pty Ltd are very excited to be part of a grass roots rugby league club in the games heartland. This opportunity meets many of our Board’s requirements in terms of supporting both the growth of the game to wider audiences, but in respecting the tradition and strength of the game of rugby league in the heartlands.

We see this as a tremendous partnership to show our players increased opportunities in League 1, and the Championship in coming years, as well as giving young players from Cumbria the opportunity to play in Serbia to diversify their experience, both in terms of the game, and life experiences.

Red Star Belgrade will be looking to develop this relationship with Whitehaven RLFC at all levels, through business, marketing, coaching, player development and in developing various formats of the game to suit the involvement of men, women, boys and girls"

Now, is it just me, or is all that rather inconsistent with a club that is facing an existential crisis?

Sorry guys, but - as I have said before - I remain very unconvinced by the "appeal", and am especially unconvinced why those outside of Whitehaven would contribute. I really don't think their "appeal" - to LOCAL businesses and LOCAL people, to demonstrate to their prospective NEW INVESTOR that they still want a RL club IN THEIR TOWN, is (or should be) aimed at fans of other clubs.

I wonder how many folk who (totally understandably, as part of the RL family) have or are considering donating have read and fully understood the Whitehaven statements? Does seem pretty clear to me, this is surely an appeal to locals to prove to their new investor that he should invest in the club (or, if I was being a cynic, to help reduce the scale of his investment...). NOT like what we saw with supporter-owned and run Rochdale earlier this year, where it appeared a combination of unexpected catastrophes presented them with an genuine existential crisis?  An appeal I was very happy to contribute to.

I will happily hold my hand up if I am wrong. But this latest announcement seems pretty clear?

11 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

"Whitehaven RLFC have today agreed a deal with Serbian rugby league team Red Star Belgrade subject to the financial targets being met by the club.

The consortium led by Stuart Harvey has worked around the clock this week to ensure Whitehaven secured this partnership ahead of a number of other clubs including interest from an unnamed super league club.

Stuart Harvey has completed the deal with serial entrepreneur Colin Kleyweg who is Managing Director & co-owner of Red Star Belgrade Rugby League although he is based out of Perth, Western Australia.

Harvey said that this will create a pathway for the elite Serbian players to come to Cumbria and work with our academy structure from 2019 and vice versa. We are also working on a proposal that will see Red Star play Whitehaven as part of our pre season.

Mr. Kleyweg who is a very experienced businessman with business interests across Australia and Europe is currently considering a proposal to invest into Whitehaven RLFC and take a leading role alongside Harvey.

Red Star Belgrade RLFC (WA) Pty Ltd are very excited to be part of a grass roots rugby league club in the games heartland. This opportunity meets many of our Board’s requirements in terms of supporting both the growth of the game to wider audiences, but in respecting the tradition and strength of the game of rugby league in the heartlands.

We see this as a tremendous partnership to show our players increased opportunities in League 1, and the Championship in coming years, as well as giving young players from Cumbria the opportunity to play in Serbia to diversify their experience, both in terms of the game, and life experiences.

Red Star Belgrade will be looking to develop this relationship with Whitehaven RLFC at all levels, through business, marketing, coaching, player development and in developing various formats of the game to suit the involvement of men, women, boys and girls"

Now, is it just me, or is all that rather inconsistent with a club that is facing an existential crisis?

Sorry guys, but - as I have said before - I remain very unconvinced by the "appeal", and am especially unconvinced why those outside of Whitehaven would contribute. I really don't think their "appeal" - to LOCAL businesses and LOCAL people, to demonstrate to their prospective NEW INVESTOR that they still want a RL club IN THEIR TOWN, is (or should be) aimed at fans of other clubs.

I wonder how many folk who (totally understandably, as part of the RL family) have or are considering donating have read and fully understood the Whitehaven statements? Does seem pretty clear to me, this is surely an appeal to locals to prove to their new investor that he should invest in the club (or, if I was being a cynic, to help reduce the scale of his investment...). NOT like what we saw with supporter-owned and run Rochdale earlier this year, where it appeared a combination of unexpected catastrophes presented them with an genuine existential crisis?  An appeal I was very happy to contribute to.

I will happily hold my hand up if I am wrong. But this latest announcement seems pretty clear?

How many times are you going to tell us you won’t be contributing ?

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

How many times are you going to tell us you won’t be contributing ?

Until someone addresses my concerns?  As I said, I will happily hold my hand up if I am wrong, and I have misinterpreted what may be poor presentation. Indeed, I would actually prefer to be badly wrong here, and to admit to that, since this whole business is currently leaving a sour taste. 

I actually applaud the Whitehaven club for this approach to local businesses and fans. Aimed at local businesses and fans, their statements make total sense to me, and I very much hope these plans all come off.  West Cumbria does not get a lot of luck, economically, and seems totally ignored by those in power.  I am far from enamoured with these ideas for a Cumbrian superclub, which - from snippets I caught today - I think Koukash today was suggesting could be imposed.  I fully understand that Whitehaven and Town are totally separate entities, and their present fans very much want that to remain the case. No different to folk suggesting Bradford should merge with Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds, Cleckheaton or whatever...

But I am worried that folk from outside the town and fanbase contriubuting will help no-one, other than maybe the new investor.  And announcements like this latest one may deter folk from contributing to other deserving RL causes in future.

1 hour ago, Adeybull said:

Interesting statement. Perhaps Red Star see this as the first step towards gaining entry to League 1

16 hours ago, Adeybull said:

Until someone addresses my concerns?  As I said, I will happily hold my hand up if I am wrong, and I have misinterpreted what may be poor presentation. Indeed, I would actually prefer to be badly wrong here, and to admit to that, since this whole business is currently leaving a sour taste. 

I actually applaud the Whitehaven club for this approach to local businesses and fans. Aimed at local businesses and fans, their statements make total sense to me, and I very much hope these plans all come off.  West Cumbria does not get a lot of luck, economically, and seems totally ignored by those in power.  I am far from enamoured with these ideas for a Cumbrian superclub, which - from snippets I caught today - I think Koukash today was suggesting could be imposed.  I fully understand that Whitehaven and Town are totally separate entities, and their present fans very much want that to remain the case. No different to folk suggesting Bradford should merge with Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds, Cleckheaton or whatever...

But I am worried that folk from outside the town and fanbase contriubuting will help no-one, other than maybe the new investor.  And announcements like this latest one may deter folk from contributing to other deserving RL causes in future.

I 100% get and understand your arguments/ viewpoint

As a fan I don't understand the reasons the consortium want to get involved as they aren't, to the best of my knowledge, local or have any local connections

Announcing a new signing tomorrow as well according to their official Twitter page. Got the begging bowl out but adding new costs !

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Announcing a new signing tomorrow as well according to their official Twitter page. Got the begging bowl out but adding new costs !

Alexander Mitrovic ?

If fans want a local club they will do whatever it takes to make it happen, was my point. £60k is nothing for a town to raise to keep a club alive, if that was the only problem. Regarding my own club, then if we miss the 4 we will probably have to re evaluate our immediate ambition. Derek has said no more if we miss but that he will write off his loans, so no debt or begging bowls but a new ownership would need to be formed and players released in numbers as the budget gets shrunk to a more affordable level. Should that day come I am very confident we would be competitive     and challlenging for T4, the town wants a RL club and is stronger now than in previous disasters