RIP Geoff Gunney MBE

Blackpool Hawk

Quite simply without Geoff there wouldn’t be a Hunslet RLFC he saved us in 1973 when all looked lost .He stayed with Hunslet when all the big Clubs came knocking and stuck with his beloved team all his life  which in Sport is virtually unheard of. Sometimes the word Legend is banded about too freely but in Geoff’s case it’s 100% true . There will never be another Geoff Gunney , I’m heartbroken r.i.p.

Yes a very sad day indeed. And where to start? More appearances and more international caps than any other Hunslet player ever, in a 22 year one-club career. Famously the last man to leave the pitch after the final game at Parkside in 1973. Chief protagonist in the reformation of "New Hunslet" when the original club folded. Awarded the MBE for his services to the game. Undoubtedly one of, and to my mind THE most important and influential figure in the near 150 year history of Hunslet RL.

I only saw him play near the end of his career and was too young to really appreciate it, but my dad told me all about his on-field exploits. But when I think back over the hundreds of Sunday afternoons of entertainment and excitement, pleasure and pain supporting Hunslet over the last 40-odd years, I am reminded that I - and all of us - would not have had those afternoons if it weren't for Geoff's determination not to let the club die in the Summer of '73.

R.I.P. Mr Hunslet. Condolences to family and friends.

Geoff , always the gentleman , great to talk to always had time for you . 

The best player ever to wear our shirt , watched him play when I as a kid at Parkside .,

He was my dad's hero , as he obviously had seen him play more than me , but what I remember a hard running second row better than what anything the Aussies had. My dad told me he once turned down an offer from American football to play with one of there top teams with big money to stay with us as that's where his heart was.

R.I.P. Geoff a true legend.

What a fella, rawboned and hard as nails, it was my pleasure to see him a few times.

RIP,

Roger(Batley fan)

Archived