Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

Probably. There's usually a few good games in the group stages and early knock-out rounds. Not sure how the time differences will work out for UK viewing, but as Europe's such a financial powerhouse for Football, I'd assume matches will be scheduled with that part of the world in mind.

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Probably. There's usually a few good games in the group stages and early knock-out rounds. Not sure how the time differences will work out for UK viewing, but as Europe's such a financial powerhouse for Football, I'd assume matches will be scheduled with that part of the world in mind.

All England’s group matches are being played either at the weekend or 1900 GMT.

I think what I like most about the World Cup is the chance for an underdog to knock off one of the fancied teams.

If I had to criticise the format then I think it has got too big (32 teams) which dilutes the quality of some games.

England will most probably finish 2nd in the group behind Belgium.  If so, they will play the winner of group H (Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan).  Lying in wait in the quarter finals will likely be Germany (if England get that far!).

Yes - looking forward to it but don’t expect England to do much unless they play a high tempo pressing game.

Russia are the lowest-ranked team in the tournament. Will there be shenanigans to help them progress? Over to you, Vlad...

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Russia are the lowest-ranked team in the tournament. Will there be shenanigans to help them progress? Over to you, Vlad...

Remember South Korea 

I'm going on holiday for 10 days on 28th June.

I reckon the England team will be home before me.😁

Struggling to summon much enthusiasm for it. Tiny Ginger will want to watch the England games at least and I'm sure some of the stories of other teams will be interesting but ...  meh.

Let's see how it goes.

I'll probably watch lots of matches.  It will be relatively quiet at work during the matches as we can't touch anything that might disrupt a broadcast... so feet up and watch a game!

(In case my boss are reading, by feet up and watch a game, I mean do lots of paperwork and non-intrusive work, obviously)

Only a warm up but Lizzy Jones was singing the national anthem at Elland Rd just now v Costa Rica

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

As long as we beat the Krauts.

Wouldn’t hold your breath 

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

All England’s group matches are being played either at the weekend or 1900 GMT.

I think what I like most about the World Cup is the chance for an underdog to knock off one of the fancied teams.

If I had to criticise the format then I think it has got too big (32 teams) which dilutes the quality of some games.

England will most probably finish 2nd in the group behind Belgium.  If so, they will play the winner of group H (Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan).  Lying in wait in the quarter finals will likely be Germany (if England get that far!).

And in their infinite wisdom they've decided to up it to 48.

Fifa are a bit like the EU, necessary but incredibly frustrating and seemingly blind to reality. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

And in their infinite wisdom they've decided to up it to 48.

Fifa are a bit like the EU, necessary but incredibly frustrating and seemingly blind to reality. 

And, at the same time, Cricket are shrinking their World Cup and cutting off emerging nations from a chance on the big stage..

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

And, at the same time, Cricket are shrinking their World Cup and cutting off emerging nations from a chance on the big stage..

It's going back up at the next one. Also, the Cricket World Cup doesn't have that many fewer games with fewer nations, they just play each other more meaning more TV revenue for Indian matches.

Righto chaps. Who's doing the traditional FIFA-level-ultra-corrupt TRL World Cup sweepstakes???

I cant rememeber who "organised" it last time but my paltry bribe got me some 3rd world no-hopers (such as England) but it was all good fun while it lasted.

Takers?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Righto chaps. Who's doing the traditional FIFA-level-ultra-corrupt TRL World Cup sweepstakes???

I cant rememeber who "organised" it last time but my paltry bribe got me some 3rd world no-hopers (such as England) but it was all good fun while it lasted.

Takers?

Yes, I’m up for this

• Like 1

Takers?

I'll have a team

I will be watching. Last 2 World cups I organized the works sweepstakes, and finished bottom of the group both times

Takers?

I will be in.

Based on the performance last night by what was largely a second string England side against Costa Rica I'm more hopeful. 

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I can't wait - love a world cup. 1st games start at 8pm for me so bonzaroo!

Don't want to break it to you but loads of games are earlier than this? The opener is at 4pm?

England games are luckily all reasonably timed.