Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Anybody know if the host nation stands any chance?

Canada will have as good of a chance as anyone thats for sure!

Saudi Arabian players all singing the anthem with gusto. Must be 40 lashes if not joining in.

Russian players look laugh a minute.

That's the exciting bit over though. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Anybody know if the host nation stands any chance?

Russia are the bottom-ranked team in the tournament. 

However, that nice Mr Putin may have had a word with the match officials... :wink:

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

4 hours ago, Niels said:

It seems that way but the analysis maybe different. I think because the defeats are on penalties people equate it with bad luck.

In Euro 2004 they went out on penalties in the Quarter Finals after being outplayed by Portugal.

Italia 90 and Euro 96 they lost to Germany who they haven't beaten in a knockout game since 1966.

I think it is just that they didnt have a winning mentality though possibly this may be changing after the recent youth team successes. 

This is partly what I mean about overanalysis. We often hear about winning mentalities and all that but take 1996 as an example, if Gazza doesn't stumble we win and all of a sudden we do have a winning mentality.

Football is a game of so few points that luck plays a huge role. That's why I prefer to view the performance as an indicator of how we've done. The reality is that 98 onwards all of our penalty defeats have been in games we were outplayed.

That's not to say we haven't been unlucky though. We could've easily made a final at least IMO with a more fortunate draw. Then many others can say that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Russia of to a great start 5-0 NOT TO BE SNEEZED AT!!!

I expect Uruguay to win the group and Russia might feel they only need a draw now with Egypt to get through in second place on goal difference.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Russia are the bottom-ranked team in the tournament. 

However, that nice Mr Putin may have had a word with the match officials... :wink:

...And the Saudi defence from the look of it

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

I think the match I will prioritise is Portugal (my ex-wife was Portuguese) v Spain (my new gf is from Barcelona).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

...And the Saudi defence from the look of it

Looks like they'd been served the 'special' sushi as a pre-game meal.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Looks like they'd been served the 'special' sushi as a pre-game meal.

Diazapam can be detected in Halal meat, stupidity can't.

While I wish Australia all the best and hope they win at least one match, I’ll be watching the NRL instead of their match against France.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

How did Saudi Arabia even qualify? Asian region must be really weak

32 teams (rising to 48 by 2026), you're always going to get some who just don't look like they should be there. And given you can qualify on the back of a group stage of 6 games (having disposed of other teams in prelims) all it can sometimes take is a couple of games going your way and you get through.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 6/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, Johnoco said:

As long as we beat the Krauts.

Is it still 1945 where you live?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

32 teams (rising to 48 by 2026), you're always going to get some who just don't look like they should be there. And given you can qualify on the back of a group stage of 6 games (having disposed of other teams in prelims) all it can sometimes take is a couple of games going your way and you get through.

Fair point

6 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Well that was both awful and reasonably entertaining. Russia are terrible, just shows how bad Saudi Arabia are.

I know nothing about football but I enjoyed the goals. I fast forwarded through the rest of it.

I'd recorded it out of general interest to see how the World Cup got underway and I was surprised at how brief and 'un-Russian' the opening ceremony was, as if no one could be that bothered planning anything so they just roped Robbie Williams in to sing a few of his hits.

Given the breakdown in relations between the UK and Russia recently, it seemed even odder that it was a British singer doing the main gig in Moscow.

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

How did Saudi Arabia even qualify? Asian region must be really weak

Yes it is. South Korea always qualify and Japan too recently. 

The gulf and Arab teams seem to have reached a ceiling now.

Iran will be a lot stronger defensively I think but have a very tough group.

37 minutes ago, Niels said:

Yes it is. South Korea always qualify and Japan too recently. 

The gulf and Arab teams seem to have reached a ceiling now.

Iran will be a lot stronger defensively I think but have a very tough group.

It's worth bearing mind Australia moved to that group to make qualification easier. They seem to play a crazy number of games though. 

Judging by Qatar's qualification campaign we probably shouldn't bother having a host nation in 2022.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's a common misconception amongst the general public that it is the best 32 countries when it is often far from it. It should of course have representation from around the globe. Last night did make the decision to go to 48 games even more ridiculous than it was though, will the World Cup be better with another 16 lesser ranked countries? Much depended on how they split it, if the extra 16 countries had another 10 from Europe and South America it wouldn't be so bad. However, they've given an extra 4.5 to to these continents, meaning 11.5 places go to areas with teams worse than Panama or Saudi Arabia.

That's what was so good about the Euros, it was a higher quality tournament than the World Cup and pretty much every group game was a tough ask. Until of course they ruined that too by making it 24 teams.

You see teams like Saudi and I’m sure more to come and you do wonder what a 48 team tournament will be like . Likes of Scotland might even get in 

23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Uruguay have been talked up as dark horses - probably quite right too given Suarez, Cavani and Godin.

That said they’ve looked below par against a Salah-less Egypt.

Stadium half-empty too... bloody Aussies again! ?

• Haha 1

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/kingslynnblackknights/