Your England picks to play New Zealand in Denver

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Ratchford - Never been a big fan of his but he is having a great season.

2. Makinson

3. Percival

4. Gildart - Only as Watkins is out injured.

5. McGilvary

6. Widdop

7. Lomax

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. G. Burgess

11. Whitehead

12. Bateman

13. S. Burgess

14. Taylor

15. T. Burgess

16. Thompson

17. Clarke

Lomax , Johnstone , Percival , Connor , Makinson , Widdop (c) , Richardson , Graham , Roby , T Burgess , Whitehead , Bateman , S Burgess .       G Burgess , Clark , Thompson , Livett .    Sorry Balders you played your way out 

1- Jack Walker - a great talent who we should be looking at for the next World Cup 

2- Makinson - having a good run of it in the saints side

3- Percival - as above, he’s come of age this year 

4 - Gildart - again should be in his prime at the World Cup 

5- Mcgilveray - great at ball returns and getting vital tried

6- George Williams- I think he still has a good future ahead of him

7 - Richardson - he’s a talent and needs to be looked at 

8- Hill - having a strong year

9 Clark - good ruck speed and roby is getting on

10- Tom Burgess - or George I forgot which is better

11 Mcmeeken- big unit and runs well

12 Bateman- yes he’s a second rower...

13 Sam Burgess - captain 

14- Watts- great prop

15- whitehead- could play anywhere in the back 3 of the pack

16 - Scott Taylor- again in good form but if walmsley was fit he would miss out

17- Lomax - class act can play 1-7 and 9!

Purely on form:

Ratchford

Hall

Percival

Connor

Makinson

Widdop

Richardson

Tom Burgess

Roby

George Burgess 

Whitehead

Bateman

Sam Burgess (c)

Bench:

Hill

Graham

Cooper

Lomax

In reality I suspect Jammer will start with one of the Burgeii and Lomax in the halves. Would love to see Connor play right centre but might be too early for him.

1. Jack Walker (If we want to start blooding him for the future) / Jamie Shaul if we want a real running threat / Tomkins (If we want our still best ball playing 1).

2. Jermaine McGillvary (Obvs).

3. Jake Connor (All Class, and a centre that can actually put his winger away).

4. Mark Percival (Best option we have there I guess).

5. Tommy Makinson (Deserves a shot as he’s been brilliant) / Tom Johstone (Also a good option, be nice to see what he can do on a bigger stage).

6. Gareth Widdop (Quality in the NRL and arguably our best player).

7. Jonny Lomax (Best of what we have available) / Danny Richardson (Similar reason as Walker)

8. James Graham (Obvs)

9. James Roby (Obvs)

10. Scott Taylor (Fantastic player who I feel needs more opportunity at this level).

11. Elliot Whitehead (Currently our best available back rower).

12. John Batemen (Good honest grafter and a back rower not a centre).

13. Sam Burgess (Obvs and captain but would be fine with Graham or Widdop).

Bench from: Clarke (But Roby can do 80) / Hill / Burgees x2 (not Luke) / Thompson / Watts / McMeeken / Livett (like the cut of his jib)

47 minutes ago, 7723 said:

1. Ratchford - Never been a big fan of his but he is having a great season.

2. Makinson

3. Percival

4. Gildart - Only as Watkins is out injured.

5. McGilvary

6. Widdop

7. Lomax

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. G. Burgess

11. Whitehead

12. Bateman

13. S. Burgess

14. Taylor

15. T. Burgess

16. Thompson

17. Clarke

A good line up apart from McGilvary who's not playing very well and looks totally disinterested.

England play so few games and this is NZ not France, so I would go with the full team and pick the best 17 available yet that does IMO mean a few leftfield pick such as Livett who I feel has a lot about him.   Im assuming O'Loughlin has retired from Internationals. 

1. Widdop (our best player and theres a lack of Top Fbs in SL)

2. Hall  (feel we need his security in Defence)

3. Percival

4. Jake Conor (deserves a chance)

5. McGilvary

6. Lomax

7. Richardson (done enough and can combine with Lomax as at club level)

8. Graham

9. Roby 

10. G. Burgess

11. Whitehead

12. Bateman

13. S. Burgess

14. Scott Taylor

15. T. Burgess 

16. Harvey Livett

17. George Williams (feel theres enough options to cover Hooker with the players on the field)

1. Lomax

2. McGilvary

3. Percival

4. Gildart

5. Hall

6. Widdop

7. S.Tomkins / Richardson (Experience or enthusiasm)

8. G. Burgess

9. Roby

10. Graham

11. S.Burgess

12. Whitehead

13. O'Loughlin

14. L.Thompson

15. T.Burgess

16. McMeeken

17. D. Clarke

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What would your team be?

The kiwis are going to struggle to select a decent side..the NRL have spoken and the nzrl & kiwi players are spineless so won't want upset the paymasters

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

48 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The kiwis are going to struggle to select a decent side..the NRL have spoken and the nzrl & kiwi players are spineless so won't want upset the paymasters

Thanks but I’m interested in what Allora thinks is his best England side. He speaks from a position of authority, you know :wink:

1 Widdop (vc)

2 Johnstone

3 Connor

4 Percevil

5 Hall

6 Lomax ( can interchange with Widdop)

7 Richardson

8 Hill

9 Roby

10 Graham

11 Bateman

12 Whitehead

13 S Burgess (c)

14 D Clarke

15 Livett

16 Taylor

17 Burgess ( the best out of the twins).

If O' loughlin hasn't retired it's time !

I'm for building up to the next WC, a lesson that should have been learned dirctly after the '13 WC so I would get some of those hopefuls involved sooner other than later, Jake Connor is probably the best utillity we could have, better than Lomax for me but that does not mean I would exclude Lomax, include Jack Walker in the set up, Jammer will be 36 come 2021, thank him for everything he's done but blood the guy's showing promise, as with Roby who will be 36, Hall 34.

Most definatley on present form Charnley before McGillvary (but saying that I do not know his contrbution v Leeds last night, I saw him last week v Catalan in the cup and he was a shadow of the player from last season) Surely Tommy Makinson has earned his chance, always consistently good, and Gidart should be included in the squad.

As a real outsider who never fails to impress me albeit he will be 31 come 2021 is Wakefields Matty Ashurst incredible engine and very dependable both attack and defence, but sadly has as happened in the long time I have been watching the game some player's no matter how they perform week in week out are employed by the 'wrong' club, whilst other's get promoted above their level because they are at the 'right' club, just a personal observation.

Use this, the series v NZ later this year, next seasons tour, whatever is scheduled for 2020 as a build up and preperation to the 2021 WC, winning that at home will be bigger than winning it in Aus or in the USA, it will be all over the papers, on prime time and hopefully free to air TV and being successful will give the game the shot in the arm it needs.

19 hours ago, DavidM said:

Lomax , Johnstone , Percival , Connor , Makinson , Widdop (c) , Richardson , Graham , Roby , T Burgess , Whitehead , Bateman , S Burgess .       G Burgess , Clark , Thompson , Livett .    Sorry Balders you played your way out 

I’d go with as the form team. 

57 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

For clarity, Tom is your better twin and has been for about two years (hence his inclusion in WC last year).

To be fair both are playing well this year. Not much between them at the minute. 

26 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’d go with as the form team. 

Please Bob, if this is your form team,  how is Lomax included at Full Back? Whats his form like in that position, I have not wittnessed it, now I have seen Ratchford, Shaul and young Jack Walker and I will say without fear of contridiction they have all played better than Lomax at Full Back this season.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please Bob, if this is your form team,  how is Lomax included at Full Back? Whats his form like in that position, I have not wittnessed it, now I have seen Ratchford, Shaul and young Jack Walker and I will say without fear of contridiction they have all played better than Lomax at Full Back this season.

There’s an argument to be made for every position but I don’t think that’s far off. I don’t think ratchford  or Shaul are playing so well that you can completely dismiss Lomax. For me the reason I’d have Lomax over the other 2 is he’s more clinical in the oppositions 20m. In international RL chances are few and far between I just think he’d be more likely to select the right pass. Having said all that I don’t think there’s a massive amount between any of them. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

There’s an argument to be made for every position but I don’t think that’s far off. I don’t think ratchford  or Shaul are playing so well that you can completely dismiss Lomax. For me the reason I’d have Lomax over the other 2 is he

If I may be so bold to finish that................................... plays for St Helen's so I see more of him than the others.

Archived