Sign in to follow this  
Hawkwindbag

Jekyll & Hyde

Yes folks, once again we manage to mix periods of great rugby with mistake-ridden fatuity in equal amounts!

In London today it took 30 minutes for someone to flick the switch, in which time we'd dropped the ball twice in our own 20 and kicked off straight into touch. And Skolars these days are good enough to capitalise, going 18-0 up.

We then magically sprung to life and scored 36 points in half an hour, suddenly looking unstoppable, with the props - new signing Braham particularly - making big yards and Southernwood and Halmshaw probing well behind.

Then we turned the switch off again and needed a Southernwood drop to make the game safe, winning 37-30.

So a win based on 30 minutes play in truth, and that 80 minute performance seems as far away as ever; I think about 60 is about the best we've managed, at Doncaster. Still let's not complain too much ... the two banana skin fixtures in this league are Skolars and Crusaders away and we've got one of them ticked off. And nice to see us fourth in the table for the next 24 hours!

Yep agree . At times we are awful then brilliant. Was happy with win in the end. Nice to have decent props and zac looked really good. Settled half back pairing but nothing if one gets injured 

We are in a decent postition currently sat in 5th with Coventry at home Sunday. The squad is only going to get stronger for the second half of the season. We have Grimshaw, Flynn, Mallinder, Williams, Breirley all availble next month im told. With also Straff to come back in plus we have added Marcus Elliot.

Not fogetting Ashton will be back in next week.

Exciting times ahead.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blackpool Hawk said:

We are in a decent postition currently sat in 5th with Coventry at home Sunday. The squad is only going to get stronger for the second half of the season. We have Grimshaw, Flynn, Mallinder, Williams, Breirley all availble next month im told. With also Straff to come back in plus we have added Marcus Elliot.

Not fogetting Ashton will be back in next week.

Exciting times ahead.

And we might well be glad of them, July will be a tough month to say the least.

However I don't have too many qualms with the quality of the squad - I've now seen us play all the other eight top 5 candidates (including Bradford twice) and we are undoubtedly just as capable as any of them. My main concern is the random "mass switch-off" we seem to endure every week at some stage. This for me is the biggest problem for Thornton to solve; we are good enough to make the top 5 but we certainly won't go any further until we learn to play for 80 minutes. 

5 hours ago, pudsey hawk said:

Oldham at home will tell us where we are at the moment

Agree with this , but for me Oldham and Huns  are the form teams in this comp .

Since we beat them away , don't think they have lost a game , they won in Cumbria , i think twice , something we don't do.

This should be a massive game for both teams and could be the game of the season , the away game was a good spectacle  in Oldham  and like us they just deserve so much more in support from the Oldham folk , but before we get carried away there is the game at home to come against Coventry on Sunday.

• Like 3