15 Jun: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Catalans Dragons KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Catalans Dragons
    • Draw

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/15/2018 at 06:45 PM

1 minute ago, Manx RL said:

9100 tickets distributed, not bums on seats.

As the nature of the offer was as a post-GDPR data grab then presumably the emphasis was on customers being proactive to get hold of the tickets and as such - speaking from direct experience - they are far more likely to turn up rather than scattering them round like confetti. 

I think a lot of people there tonight were folk who used to go but dropped out for various reasons...id hazard because they had families judging by the number of, well, families there which was great to see.

20 minutes in I thought an utter disaster was looming, the Giants were awful and Catalans full of enthusiasm and running, with Drinkwater running the show.

From somewhere the Giants found something from somewhere though and it ended up a bloody good game, just what a crowd like tonight's would have loved, including Jerry going 80m 

Ultimately the Catalans lost because with lots of pressure on the Giants line Greg Bird tried to milk a penalty and made a hash of it, if he'd just got on with it I'm sure Catalans would have scored.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

Last minute try for Cats disallowed by touch judge after the ref validation !!! This is not very clear ...........😬

3 minutes ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

Last minute try for Cats disallowed by touch judge after the ref validation !!! This is not very clear ...........😬

The ref initially awarded it but the touch judge held his position. Good work by him - he did it a few time both ways. Good to see a TJ doing his job also the in goal judge said no try 

Edited by Ant

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

And here's me thinking the giants were in business to make money. Won't make much giving away free lollipops either. As for meargers what was your reaction to joining up with Sheffield ?

It's a smart marketing ploy, especially as they knew that gate receipts from the away contingent would likely be very low. They probably only need to convince half as many people as you have posts to become regular, or even semi-regular, paying supporters to generate a net gain pretty soon. And with the match playing out as dramatically as it did, who's to say that they won't?

• Like 3

Def a knock on i would say and the giants got the better of the calls in the last 20 as well. An exciting second half all round, If brough had played he would have been off if he had given Hewer the verbals that Catalan were giving him.

Wish we had a player with Micky M's enthusiasm.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

9,100 is a fantastic crowd paying or not, it’s still 9,100 people who were interested enough to travel to a Huddersfield match on Friday night!

I reckon they could fill the stadium if Ken offered everyone a fiver to attend.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Def a knock on i would say and the giants got the better of the calls in the last 20 as well.

The last one against Bird was harsh as having seen it on TV looked remarkably similar to the Giants winning penalty. Sounded a good game though.

I hope Ollie Roberts practices his kicking for next time...would have been much safer if he'd made a couple of them he should have.

But despite being under a lot of pressure he is a kid with a bright future ahead of him 

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

The last one against Bird was harsh as having seen it on TV looked remarkably similar to the Giants winning penalty. Sounded a good game though.

I think the difference was the Giants player was inside and in the in goal area, so entitled to be there. 

Bird tried to milk it and made a mess of it. Plus hewer is awful. 

22 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Well i dare say Mr Carter could do that even easier at wakey, but as we all know he's not quite as well fixed is he, and it would probably have to be more than a fiver to get uncommitted people into that bombsite.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As the nature of the offer was as a post-GDPR data grab then presumably the emphasis was on customers being proactive to get hold of the tickets and as such - speaking from direct experience - they are far more likely to turn up rather than scattering them round like confetti. 

Assuming GDPR compliance. This is Rugby League.

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Aye, they'd come in their thousands from the five towns.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ant said:

I hope Ollie Roberts practices his kicking for next time...would have been much safer if he'd made a couple of them he should have.

But despite being under a lot of pressure he is a kid with a bright future ahead of him 

Russell.

The kicking from hand was poor tonight. 

Fartown had some luck to win the game. They really struggled to contain the Cat forwards, who made ground pretty easily, especially in the first half. Hudds need more at prop. Defensive organisation on the last tackle was seemingly absent in the first quarter and in the second half the Giants had some luck despite letting last tackle kicks bounce in their twenty. 

The Catalans seemed a bit flat in the second half. They can count themselves unlucky with a couple of decisions near the end. C'est la vie. 

Two teams who struggle to put in solid eighty minute performances.

9100 is a bloody good crowd, regardless of whether they paid or were press ganged into the stadium under duress.

Remember how the RL puritans used to dismiss Bradford and their sponge finger fans (admittedly I have a big spongy finger)

Well it looks like some of them stuck around (not me, I support the current Super Greed Fa Cup winners now)

2 hours ago, Ant said:

I think the difference was the Giants player was inside and in the in goal area, so entitled to be there. 

Bird tried to milk it and made a mess of it. Plus hewer is awful. 

If he plays the ball its a penalty. The call is knock on,so was never played.

Penalty count Catalans 14 to Giants 4.

Some of them harsh. Others just ridiculous. 

They all went the same way though. 

Can Catalans still make the top 8? They have to beat Leeds next week if that is to happen.

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Can Catalans still make the top 8? They have to beat Leeds next week if that is to happen.

Depends who refs. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Getting the excuses in early,très bon.

Don't need no excuses. We won't beat Leeds, we lost the Super 8s yesterday on a disallowed try and dubious penalties. 

Giants player gets tackled, holds on to Moa who lays motionless, gets the winning penalty. Bird has a player underneath him when he's supposed to play the ball but it's no penalty in the refs view. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Don't need no excuses. We won't beat Leeds, we lost the Super 8s yesterday on a disallowed try and dubious penalties. 

Giants player gets tackled, holds on to Moa who lays motionless, gets the winning penalty. Bird has a player underneath him when he's supposed to play the ball but it's no penalty in the refs view. 

When in doubt blame the ref.

I think letting an 18-0 lead go is more to blame than the ref.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Catalan have to look at some poor defending that cost them, and some silly decisions. The nonsense pass to set up McGilivray, not going for a drop goal just before Huddersfield scored. But ultimately, they did enough to win and were robbed by a very poor decision from the ref. Never a penalty. Not sure about the try at the end, too far away to see. Looks like middle 8 now, but still have a feeling that Leeds might drop into it

Just seen the highlights. Fair enough on the Sam moa pen. The knock on, hard to tell, maybe. But how on earth Bird didn't get a penalty at the end. Feel robbed