Sign in to follow this  
Sports Prophet

House of York v House of Lancs June 23rd

Recommended Posts

I don’t recall having seen this event on the forum, so pardon if already discussed. For the NCL, this is a great addition to the calendar and the best since the short lived amateurs version of the England v Exiles concept.

Hope it is a success and gives the governors something to think about potentially returning this fixture to the professional game.

Listened to JJB bigging the game up on BBCs RL podcast. I like JJB, he is smart, articulate, personable and passionate. I hope he remains an asset to the sport for many years ahead.

3A89AE15-8BB6-4B88-BDFB-F5ED5F3E6350.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one, am offended that Cheshire has been ignored yet again.   The RFL still refuse to recognise us...    it’s like Israel and the Gulf Cooperation Council all over again.   And don’t get me started about Widnes settling on the West Bank of the Mersey.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked how JJB sold it on the podcast, tapping into the ancient history of York and Lancaster and a little into Game of Thrones too, with allegiances being declared to either of the two "houses", which is how any non Yorkshire/Lancashire born players would be selected. They would choose the one that they identified with, whether through the team they play for, family connections, simple preference etc. He sold it extremely well and its a very good marketing angle to go down.

The main issue that will be brought up is how intense the game would be, what crowd support it would get etc. I always loved the games, loved Yorkshire V Lancashire, and would love to see it if it can grow to become a big event, but it doesn't seem to get that support it needs and I doubt very much whether it would ever take off again.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Southstander13 said:

I liked how JJB sold it on the podcast, tapping into the ancient history of York and Lancaster and a little into Game of Thrones too, with allegiances being declared to either of the two "houses", which is how any non Yorkshire/Lancashire born players would be selected. They would choose the one that they identified with, whether through the team they play for, family connections, simple preference etc. He sold it extremely well and its a very good marketing angle to go down.

The main issue that will be brought up is how intense the game would be, what crowd support it would get etc. I always loved the games, loved Yorkshire V Lancashire, and would love to see it if it can grow to become a big event, but it doesn't seem to get that support it needs and I doubt very much whether it would ever take off again.

I posted this on a different thread but think it could work based on how JJB has said people should align themselves... 

as the war of the roses was not about the counties, in fact half of Yorkshire probably supported the house of Lancaster and most Dukes dont live in the area they are Dukes of either.. 

However if we did want a one off match of the "war of the roses" and really wanted to get everyone we possibly can involved how about going with the houses and who aligned with whom. 

so on the red (bad) side of the hills is:

Lancaster

France

Scotland

Wales

Somerset

Exeter

Northumberland

Oxford

Buckingham

Shrewsbury

Wiltshire

Devon

Warwick

and on the white (better) side of the hills is

York

Warwick (fickle family so they can chose as and when and swap and change just for posterity)

Salisbury 

Kent

Norfolk

Rutland

Hastngs

Lincoln

Burgundy

 

Everyone else can do one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RP London said:

I posted this on a different thread but think it could work based on how JJB has said people should align themselves... 

as the war of the roses was not about the counties, in fact half of Yorkshire probably supported the house of Lancaster and most Dukes dont live in the area they are Dukes of either.. 

However if we did want a one off match of the "war of the roses" and really wanted to get everyone we possibly can involved how about going with the houses and who aligned with whom. 

so on the red (bad) side of the hills is:

Lancaster

France

Scotland

Wales

Somerset

Exeter

Northumberland

Oxford

Buckingham

Shrewsbury

Wiltshire

Devon

Warwick

and on the white (better) side of the hills is

York

Warwick (fickle family so they can chose as and when and swap and change just for posterity)

Salisbury 

Kent

Norfolk

Rutland

Hastngs

Lincoln

Burgundy

 

Everyone else can do one.

FRANCE???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid concept.. should be north vs south or east vs west.

It's like saying if you are not from these 2 counties we don't care about you so go away!

Modern people class themselves as from Cheshire Merseyside Manchester etc 

 rugby league needs to move away from trying to freeze time and drag everybody backwards. 

It's ok if you are old and can relate to the past but it's doing nothing to expand and capture the imagination of the future of the game!! (I.e anybody under 40!)

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Stupid concept.. should be north vs south or east vs west.

 

Coming from the Midlands (along with a good couple of million other people), I'm not sure I'd identify with any of those....

Worcestershire, yes, Birmingham a small amount, the Black Country a bit more, not that bothered by anywhere outside that... I'm certainly not a northerner or a southerner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, yipyee said:

FRANCE???

Yes, those were all the traditional allies of the houses.. so we could have the best french players paying too.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Stupid concept.. should be north vs south or east vs west.

It's like saying if you are not from these 2 counties we don't care about you so go away!

Modern people class themselves as from Cheshire Merseyside Manchester etc 

 rugby league needs to move away from trying to freeze time and drag everybody backwards. 

It's ok if you are old and can relate to the past but it's doing nothing to expand and capture the imagination of the future of the game!! (I.e anybody under 40!)

Thats the major problem with the concept compared to Aussie state of origin and why it has failed so often. 

The one thing with making it the "House of York vs House of Lancaster" is taking it away form the counties.. but no I dont seriously think it would work. I would love an origin style game over hear but I have never been able to work out how to do it as anything you do will have an alienation of someone or saying it doesnt represent them. I could see us going to 2 conferences and having an "all star match" but other than something like that getting an origin to work would be difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Stupid concept.. should be north vs south or east vs west.

It's like saying if you are not from these 2 counties we don't care about you so go away!

Modern people class themselves as from Cheshire Merseyside Manchester etc 

 rugby league needs to move away from trying to freeze time and drag everybody backwards. 

It's ok if you are old and can relate to the past but it's doing nothing to expand and capture the imagination of the future of the game!! (I.e anybody under 40!)

Been to plenty of Lancashire-Yorkshire T20 games that were packed with under 40s (probably there for the beer snakes as much as the cricket mind!).

I don’t think the Roses concept is as dead and buried as you make out.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RP London said:

Thats the major problem with the concept compared to Aussie state of origin and why it has failed so often. 

The one thing with making it the "House of York vs House of Lancaster" is taking it away form the counties.. but no I dont seriously think it would work. I would love an origin style game over hear but I have never been able to work out how to do it as anything you do will have an alienation of someone or saying it doesnt represent them. I could see us going to 2 conferences and having an "all star match" but other than something like that getting an origin to work would be difficult.

Fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough.

dont get me wrong as a proud Yorkshireman I would love to see something like this work but just think we missed the boat a while a go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RP London said:

Yes, those were all the traditional allies of the houses.. so we could have the best french players paying too.. 

both of them?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

both of them?

yep exciting isnt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Been to plenty of Lancashire-Yorkshire T20 games that were packed with under 40s (probably there for the beer snakes as much as the cricket mind!).

I don’t think the Roses concept is as dead and buried as you make out.

 

Yorkshire's home T20 against the dark side is already sold out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

its too much to dream of

Its why it will never happen... dreams like that never come true.. if only I had left it to the English protagonists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You don’t know the power of the dark side of the force.

That is not a county I'm looking for.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yorkshire's home T20 against the dark side is already sold out.

What?  Yorkshire are playing T20 cricket against a rugby union select?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 25 May - June 2018

Rugby League World - June 2018 - Out Fri 25 May

Rugby League Books On Sale Here