Sign in to follow this  
Bob8

Danny Kazandijan move from RLEF to RLIF

Press Release:

Danny Kazandjian has been appointed to the role of Operations Manager for the RLIF after an exhaustive recruitment process.

Kazandjian, who is the current General Manager for the Rugby League European Federation, brings great experience of providing the practical support and guidance required to develop the operations of governing bodies in nations from inception through to maturity. His work has seen the membership of the RLEF grow from 20 nations in 2010 to 40 members in 2018.

In addition, Europe wide competitions have grown consistently and now include established competitions at Euro B and C levels as well as the European Championships and youth competitions.

Kazandjian has also led huge pan-European projects to support the development of excellent governance, match official development and coach education, many of which are supported by EU Funding.

RLIF Chief Executive Officer, Nigel Wood, welcomed the new appointment saying

“Danny brings a wealth of valuable practical experience which will be hugely supportive for every national governing body within our sport. He impressed the interview panel with his total commitment and passion for international Rugby League and the benefits that this offers to nations, clubs and individuals.”

“I welcome Danny to the RLIF team and I look forward to working alongside him, our colleagues within the RLIF and the membership to continue to develop and grow Rugby League across the globe.”

Danny Kazandjian, who takes up his position on September 1st,  thanked the RLIF for the opportunity saying:

“I am really pleased to be joining the RLIF at such an exciting time in the organisation’s and the sport’s history. I have been privileged to work on a daily basis with the many diverse nations and colleagues that are part of the RLEF, and the opportunity to now work with and provide support to the entire global rugby league family, one that is growing every year, both in terms of capacity as well as the number of rugby league-playing nations, is one that I am truly relishing.”

ENDS

• Like 2

Pleased to see the RLIF develop some structure and full time employees. What will be his remit though?

Be interesting to see who RLEF bring in. I believe there is another role RLIF are recruiting for too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Press Release:

Danny Kazandjian has been appointed to the role of Operations Manager for the RLIF after an exhaustive recruitment process.

Kazandjian, who is the current General Manager for the Rugby League European Federation, brings great experience of providing the practical support and guidance required to develop the operations of governing bodies in nations from inception through to maturity. His work has seen the membership of the RLEF grow from 20 nations in 2010 to 40 members in 2018.

In addition, Europe wide competitions have grown consistently and now include established competitions at Euro B and C levels as well as the European Championships and youth competitions.

Kazandjian has also led huge pan-European projects to support the development of excellent governance, match official development and coach education, many of which are supported by EU Funding.

RLIF Chief Executive Officer, Nigel Wood, welcomed the new appointment saying

“Danny brings a wealth of valuable practical experience which will be hugely supportive for every national governing body within our sport. He impressed the interview panel with his total commitment and passion for international Rugby League and the benefits that this offers to nations, clubs and individuals.”

“I welcome Danny to the RLIF team and I look forward to working alongside him, our colleagues within the RLIF and the membership to continue to develop and grow Rugby League across the globe.”

Danny Kazandjian, who takes up his position on September 1st,  thanked the RLIF for the opportunity saying:

“I am really pleased to be joining the RLIF at such an exciting time in the organisation’s and the sport’s history. I have been privileged to work on a daily basis with the many diverse nations and colleagues that are part of the RLEF, and the opportunity to now work with and provide support to the entire global rugby league family, one that is growing every year, both in terms of capacity as well as the number of rugby league-playing nations, is one that I am truly relishing.”

ENDS

Nigel must have wanted someone equal to his abilities.

16 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Nigel must have wanted someone equal to his abilities.

Are you going to apply to be Danny's replacement at the RLEF then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Are you going to apply to be Danny's replacement at the RLEF then?

lol,  trust me If you want to develop rugby league in Europe your better on the outside. 

If you want to get anything real done you need step outside of the politics.

Thats the issue not enough real work is being done.

Everything is too managerial and political.

What we need is practical leadership.

Someone needs to help them get kit and players, promote themselves.

Organise small sided games.

Figure out how to overcome local challenges.

Assist them with admin. Get them talking to the rest of the rugby league community.  Get them getting the most out of social media.

Not be scared to get volunteers involved to help assist them.

Get uk teams playing in europe more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There will be coach and match official training sessions in Denmark this year, from EU funding obtained by the RLEF,  There will also be a conference in Belgrade.  The RLEF are tiny, but they help.

At first, I suspect Danny thought the Lebanon model could work everywhere, which was false and led to conflict.  Over almost a decade, he has learnt a huge amount, developed things by a large amount.  i understand there are reservations from some, but I wish him well and thank him for his time.

• Like 5

The EU funding for coaching and match officials is the single most important achievement in the history of European development. 

The soon to start bi-annual u19s tournament is another great achievement 

• Like 3

I fail to understand the criticism of Danny K. He has opened a number of windows, both in Europe but also Africa, Middle East and Jamaica that has seen money and help Nations in a number of areas. The RLEF Match Officials and Coaching Course via the EU Grant Money has been very beneficial across a number of Nations as Bob mentions. Also the Commonwealth Grant from the UK Government has been helpful to other Nations in Africa etc. Then other money has come in from other areas to help Lebanon etc. Muc of that is down to Danny K spending hours and hours making sure Nations have filled in the paperwork correctly and that the RLEF have done so as well. We have U19s Championships and Womens games taking place.

Also we have seen Nations working together on Governance and how to be better run. Again another idea from Danny K that has been beneficial fo a number of Nations especially who are new or are going through difficulties and need help. From my understanding Danny K has often helped Nations who are doing it tough to work with Nations that have gone through similar but have managed to progress. I believe the Welsh RL have helped Germany a couple of years back when they had to start from Scratch-something the Welsh RL went through earlier.

I am not saying Danny K has done everything perfectly or not made mistakes. However I think when you look at when he first took on the job to now the Nations in the RLEF are in a better way in most cases and are run far better and given far more help than back then. Naturally some Nations have problems as you would expect. But that is often down to the people in that Nation rather than the faults of Danny K or the RLEF. I think whoever follows Danny has a tough Job on as he did a very good job with next to no Money or often little Support from the game itself. Having said that Leeds Rhinos and St.Helens Refs Society have seemingly been involved in alot of the Courses provided by the RLEF.

• Like 10

RLEF members have predominantly excelled since DK’s appointment.

I’m not sure you have a strong case against him Tex.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

RLEF members have predominantly excelled since DK’s appointment.

I’m not sure you have a strong case against him Tex.

There is something where I will support Tex.  The work is still done by the people on the ground.  While the RLEF can offer some support, the fluctuations of nations tend to depend more on the presence of willing and capable volunteers on the ground.  The rapid expansion owes much to the internet meaning that sports generally have gone global.  

I know little of the detail of the RLEF but from comments here I get the impression:

They have to rely basically on EU grants to do much good, because  they have little money otherwise.

It supports the hard work of local enthusiasts.

It's been a learning curve for Danny but by the end of his tenure was going pretty well. 

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

I'm reading press and website that suggests it is. Im guessing you're on the ground and it isnt?

Tex is on the front line of expansion, a do-er like yourself, rather than a talker like most on this forum.

• Thanks 1

I have more confidence in Danny than Nigel. Whilst Danny did make a lot of mistakes and burn a number of bridges early in his tenure, to say that he hasn't improved and performed some solid work since would be unfair.

Danny has learnt plenty around governance and continuity whilst at the RLEF, which I'm sure he'll roll out globally and will hopefully help. Unfortunately, as the RLEF only had limited funds the impact made is never going to be as large as we want or hope.

Hopefully he can help the RLIF around generating revenues outside of World Cups.

• Like 4

One thing I hope with this appointment, is that he is replaced at RLEF with a good person that can help our game grow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Tex is on the front line of expansion, a do-er like yourself, rather than a talker like most on this forum.

What worries me is the decline in real terms of Rugby League activity across Europe.  

Around 2014 it looked pretty promising.

Most of the growth has come in places like Turkey which has occurred independently.

We definitely need a credible RLEF in Europe and yes that has been accomplished, this has helped prevent the dirty tricks union previously employed.

But successfully applying for EU funds as a professional sports administrator shouldn't qualify you for the noble peace prize.

We seem to be distracted from the fact we need a level of pragmatic leadership to ensure the whole project does not collapse.

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Maybe not all of us live outside of the UK Bob.

• Like 1