Tyrone Roberts heads home

Not all that surprising really, been fairly common knowledge he was homesick - had an option in the contract to return home after year 1 apparently.

Be interesting to see who we bring in, given Roberts is marquee we have plenty to play with, options probably thin on the ground though.

Eastmond will undoubtably be linked.

47 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Not all that surprising really, been fairly common knowledge he was homesick - had an option in the contract to return home after year 1 apparently.

Be interesting to see who we bring in, given Roberts is marquee we have plenty to play with, options probably thin on the ground though.

Eastmond will undoubtably be linked.

We might see the best from Roberts now that he’s more relaxed in the knowledge that he’s going home.

If Eastmond is the replacement I’ll be massively disappointed.   The thing we’ve missed since Briers retired is a true half-back who can steer a team round the pitch.   Price has intimated after the Wigan game that he brought Roberts over for that specific reason.   I’ll therfore be surprised if he thinks a Centre three quarter from Rugby Union (who can’t get a game) is the answer.

With Brown certain to retire at the end of this season I’m now extremely worried about 2019...   we need a decent half-back pairing and fast.   If it’s not the NRL then we need to look to pay big bucks for what little we can get in this country. ?.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

This was always likely to happen and has not been a secret. Can't agree with DS about Eastmond I am looking forward to seeing him if he comes, and we have scrum half who has extended his contact Patton who needs to fulfil his early promise. 

16 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

This was always likely to happen and has not been a secret. Can't agree with DS about Eastmond I am looking forward to seeing him if he comes, and we have scrum half who has extended his contact Patton who needs to fulfil his early promise. 

I want Eastmond to be a success, I’m just not seeing how he can be (straight away anyway).   I’d rather have a true solution at halfback until Eastmond is back up to speed and gently immersed into the RL halfback role.   His strength before leaving RL was his speed and step, certainly not his organising skills or defence.   Here’s hoping though ?

I like Patton’s current contribution at dummy half but I haven’t seen him command a game from half back yet.   I haven’t written him off though like some.   Maybe he’ll get his chance as he’s got age on his side.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Is this talk of Townsend just pure speculation?   I've not heard anything personally.   Maybe he is out of contract, and Price does have some connection with him I suppose.   He would make a good replacement for Brown, but we need another cheeky half alongside him.   Dare I say it, one in the mould of Sandow. ?

48 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

There was a comment that he wasn’t keen on living in a semi detached house in Warrington next to a take away, funny that as Sandow didn’t mind...

I don’t know if it’s true that he was living in a semi next to a takeaway, but I heard he was in Stockton Heath.   Even on a marquee salary the rents there are probably extremely high.   When my parents moved to the UK in the seventies all they could afford was a small terraced house by the canal in Stockton Heath...   now those houses go for about £400k. How times change! 

I would have thought that living next to a takeaway was handy.  Logan Swann used to have to drive to the Trawlerman chippy on Knutsford Road after games.  It was probably cold by the time he got home.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Dec Patton has the skills, but he desperately needs gametime at the right level to fulfil his potential......hard to get at Wire with the other players available to them but would be a shame if they can't bring him on over the rest of the season. Don't think Eastmond would be a good move for the Wolves.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

This homesickness is often dressed up as something else. If you come to the UK with a 2/3 year contract with a one year get out it basically allows your agent 6-12 months to shop around for an NRL contract that will match or dwarf the SL one. It won't be the first or last time this happens. The money in Aus is just too big. An NRL club could throw A$400k at Roberts just to have him available in the half back reserves when a crisis hits.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

This homesickness is often dressed up as something else. If you come to the UK with a 2/3 year contract with a one year get out it basically allows your agent 6-12 months to shop around for an NRL contract that will match or dwarf the SL one. It won't be the first or last time this happens. The money in Aus is just too big. An NRL club could throw A$400k at Roberts just to have him available in the half back reserves when a crisis hits.

Don’t think that’s the case with Roberts. He was Wire’s marquee player and he’s going back to where he came from, he’s hardly shopping around

Thats not to say other players wouldn’t use this as an advantage. 

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Don’t think that’s the case with Roberts. He was Wire’s marquee player and he’s going back to where he came from, he’s hardly shopping around

Well I know Titans dropped their half back earlier this year and perhaps they are thin on the ground. He may may have landed himself an upgraded deal as the NRL is light on quality half backs too. Look how Hodgkinson managed to land himself a deal. I take your point though.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

The first question for any potential NRL signing should now be - have you ever spent more than 2 weeks away from home?. i.e. anything more than a holiday? If the answer is no, then you might not be the signing for us. 

In all seriousness, whilst Roberts might have more grounds than others for his alleged homesickness, it stinks every time this happens and the SL clubs are powerless to stop it. I've mentioned this in other threads but it just seems there's a strong correlation between players who are coming to the end of NRL contracts and not much on the table coming to SL to then a miraculous bout of homesickness when NRL interest picks up. Seen very few get 'homesick' and go back home to play reserve grade. 

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

it was mentioned before wire signed him that he was repeatedly going back to gold coast trying to get an increased contract, arguably using our offer,i don't know if he's tried to call their bluff by signing with us, especially with this clause involved.  However the homesick rumours have been here since he set foot at manchester airport.

It's a bit too suss for my liking,  

More importantly, this stuff about he's committed to the rest of the year, i don't know how that is going to go, honestly he hasn't got much support in the stands currently due to not meeting his marquee price tag with performances. 

A few dropped passes in the next game and people are going to be on his back.

Over and above anything else, I've seen nothing from Roberts that suggests he's anywhere near good enough for Super League.

I appreciate others will have seen more of him and can be in a better position to judge, but he's been a real waste of money in my opinion.

People called Romans they go the house

13 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Over and above anything else, I've seen nothing from Roberts that suggests he's anywhere near good enough for Super League.

I appreciate others will have seen more of him and can be in a better position to judge, but he's been a real waste of money in my opinion.

well, the youtube highlights package showed lots of zip and running through gaps, he was a running threat, there's been non of that for us, he's had a knee issue since pre-season.

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I hope, as Moran is one of the leaders of us going in to this brave new world Wire go all out on marquee signing.

This was it wasn't it?

We heard Moran's vision of a brave new world, it was GB playing Oz in a three game series in Wembley, Old Trafford and Elland Road, he doesn't like these new fangled things like Four Nations.

He's been ok, nothing more nothing less, some of his link play has been impressive, but not sure that is worth a marquee tag.

I'd like to think we can do better, but it depends on availability.

4 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Looking at the big picture he’s been better than the average SL half back, defence generally okay, kicking well and picking the right passes most of the time.

On an appropriate salary he’d be a great signing.   Unfortunately he’s our marquee and hasn’t lived up to that billing, especially as we heard rumours his 3 year deal topped the $1 million Gold Coast offered at the time.   He’s just not shown himself to be anything like that value.   The worry now though is whether we can replace him with someone who is even close to his quality, irrespective of salary.   Brown is certain to retire, and as much as some of his kicking can be criticised he is a fantastic defender and organiser.   I’m having nightmares already about Eastmond getting run over in the middle.

19 hours ago, TheDuke said:

There was a comment that he wasn’t keen on living in a semi detached house in Warrington next to a take away, funny that as Sandow didn’t mind...

The rumour going round is that he’s actually in the take-away and that was the very reason Sandow liked the arrangement.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:01 AM, Scubby said:

Well I know Titans dropped their half back earlier this year and perhaps they are thin on the ground. He may may have landed himself an upgraded deal as the NRL is light on quality half backs too. Look how Hodgkinson managed to land himself a deal. I take your point though.

Looks like Warrington were paying him a hefty wage, does surprise me that an NRL club can’t afford to match it

Archived