AB Knight

R14 The Cougar Cauldron

I wasn't there so I won't comment on the discipline of either team today other than to say before today York have had one player sin binned this season, and off the top of my head I dont remember any York player being sinbinned last season.

Craig Lingard's pre match comments about having the better strike players out wide perplexed me though. There's having confidence in your own players, and then there's pretty much writing the pre match team talk for Fordy.

Keighley have some half decent solid players out wide, but I know which set of strike players I'm happier with:

Ash Robson - Super League experience with current League Shield holders Castleford and nominated for 2017 NL1 young player of the year.

Joe Batchelor - Signed by League Shield elect and probable Grand Final winners St Helens.

Judah Mazive - Super League experience with Wakefield and currently averaging a try a game for YCK.

Anyway onto a big match against Newcastle, won't be easy and I hope there's another big crowd present.

Edit; just as I posted that, James Ford has made similar comments to The Press.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

I wasn't there so I won't comment on the discipline of either team today other than to say before today York have had one player sin binned this season, and off the top of my head I dont remember any York player being sinbinned last season.

Craig Lingard's pre match comments about having the better strike players out wide perplexed me though. There's having confidence in your own players, and then there's pretty much writing the pre match team talk for Fordy.

Purely in the interest of balance, i believe I'm right in saying today was the first time we've had a player sin binned since round 2.

And speaking of perplexing comments, I personally thought Ford came over a bit unprofessional in his post match interview, and I'm sure some of what he said will serve as motivation for us should we meet again in the play-offs. 

Anyway, best of look for the rest of your season, here's hoping you take first place ahead of Bradford. 

Well done york, very proud of the shift our lads put in again today in blistering heat. I  don't know where to start with comments on the way this match was played but for me one side came to play rugby and one side didn't. The assault on conner after he had been knocked out was an absolute disgrace and why it resulted in only a yellow is beyond me. It was then followed by two geezers from the main stand haranging the ref on the pitch side while he explained something to them in prolonged detail...who were they and what was that all about?

Judah took two flying high tackles and full marks to the lad for not retaliating. So many positives from the match, superb stand in kicking from ash, Joe porter showed he is different class again, ellis and cockayne had great games and conner was outstanding, I hope he's ok for next week.

Finally one minor moment in the game but one which for me showed why york are getting the results they are, when cougars took the interception in the first half n went the length of the field to score every york player pinned back their lugs and bust a gut to get to him even though it was always gonna be in vain...brilliant commitment to the call. 

Come on ye kneets !

• Like 2

Brilliant result today well done. Not surprised at Keighley's approach to the game. They will beat some of the top 8 sides at home, but I doubt they will end up with a top 5 finish.

I have to say that I thought this was one that would go the way of the home side, but decided to keep those pre-match thoughts to myself. I wasn’t able to make the match but followed it by the excellent twitter feed and seems that we were just far too good for the opposition on the day and that the game was over as a contest with Joe Batchelor’s second half try. Really looking forward to Synday’s game with Thunder, the first of two home games. This is all building to the match at Odsal on 22 July, a game that really could decide who finishes top!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BD20Cougar said:

And speaking of perplexing comments, I personally thought Ford came over a bit unprofessional in his post match interview, and I'm sure some of what he said will serve as motivation for us should we meet again in the play-offs. 

You could tell Ford was riled by the comments, at some point in the future both managers will look back and perhaps regret certain comments.

I don't know when the rivalry started having only followed York since 2016 but I well remember being called York KR last season at Cougar Park, in fact on the Cougarmania facebook group there's someone sending an email to the 'rugby league' about Dual Reg (we had 1 player on DR yesterday!). Then again it's an odd group, someone saying Keighley were always up against it having 2 players sinbinned meaning they had to play for 60mins with 12 men...last time I looked a sin bin was for 10mins, not 30. Likewise the Keighley tannoy announcer made certain comments after the 2nd Cougar Park match last season which didn't help things. Hopefully in future there'll be a bit more respect off the pitch. Lingard still started it though 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

You could tell Ford was riled by the comments, at some point in the future both managers will look back and perhaps regret certain comments.

I don't know when the rivalry started having only followed York since 2016 but I well remember being called York KR last season at Cougar Park, in fact on the Cougarmania facebook group there's someone sending an email to the 'rugby league' about Dual Reg (we had 1 player on DR yesterday!). Then again it's an odd group, someone saying Keighley were always up against it having 2 players sinbinned meaning they had to play for 60mins with 12 men...last time I looked a sin bin was for 10mins, not 30. Likewise the Keighley tannoy announcer made certain comments after the 2nd Cougar Park match last season which didn't help things. Hopefully in future there'll be a bit more respect off the pitch. Lingard still started it though 😉

The rivalry definitely started with the war of words that followed the first game last season. I think we all know Lingard didn't take kindly to citation of half his squad to the disciplinary panel. 

As for the cougarmania Facebook page, not going to argue that it's a strange place with some strange people, but us keighley fans will always be more against dual reg than anyone else after being relgated in 2014 as a direct result of Batley not being punished for fielding inelligible players on DR. That last part has no relevance to yesterday's game of course, just thought I'd offer an explanation for the DR hatred. 

• Like 1

The two guys speaking to ref Billy Pearson were the time keepers who were explaining to him that he had forgotten to stop the clock, possibly when Connor was injured.

I didnt think there was any malice in the challenge, it was just a stray arm but what followed was an absolute disgrace - if he had suffered a neck injury from the challenge, god only knows what the outcome might have been. Should have been straight red..

BD is correct that there were a string of scruffy challenges from the Knights early doors and I was surprised we didnt get a team warning. He is also correct that BN lost his head and his tipping of Graeme Horne sparked the 'brawl'.

Cougars had a good patch just after the half hour and Adam Ryder played well for them but both Benny Hardcastle and Richie Hawkyard seemed below par and Beharrel, possibly because of his recent injury was anonymous. Some of their tackling was woeful, including the 'hair combing', particularly after the break.

I dont, personally, think Keighley will get the chance of revenge in the playoffs with that side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Lingard is a protege of Kear's and Kear always talks up game to gee up his player's and try to put dought into the opposition mind it's obviously rub off on Lingard only Kear does it a bit more diplomatically ,as for the game a stunning score line and 2 well earned points we could well have been drawn in but  kept our nerve and the points flowed well played lads great win

COME ON YOU PROMOTION CHASING KNEET'S

n

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BD20Cougar said:

The rivalry definitely started with the war of words that followed the first game last season. I think we all know Lingard didn't take kindly to citation of half his squad to the disciplinary panel. 

As for the cougarmania Facebook page, not going to argue that it's a strange place with some strange people, but us keighley fans will always be more against dual reg than anyone else after being relgated in 2014 as a direct result of Batley not being punished for fielding inelligible players on DR. That last part has no relevance to yesterday's game of course, just thought I'd offer an explanation for the DR hatred. 

Makes sense, I remember years ago Keighley being very unhappy with Richard Owen on DR from Cas who apparently put in minimal effort.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, White Knight said:

I have to say that I thought this was one that would go the way of the home side, but decided to keep those pre-match thoughts to myself. I wasn’t able to make the match but followed it by the excellent twitter feed and seems that we were just far too good for the opposition on the day and that the game was over as a contest with Joe Batchelor’s second half try. Really looking forward to Synday’s game with Thunder, the first of two home games. This is all building to the match at Odsal on 22 July, a game that really could decide who finishes top!

What was the away support like yesterday? I understand there were a fair few planning to travel over. Got their money’s worth too.

I couldn’t make it - was away ‘scouting’ on the west coast of Canada. 😉Have applied for a leave chit for Sunday!😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fenton Knight said:

I couldn’t make it - was away ‘scouting’ on the west coast of Canada. 😉Have applied for a leave chit for Sunday!😄

Same here (couldn't make it not being in Canada!), but I am saving up for trips to West Wales and Workington. 

Someone in the seating stand posted a picture of the open terrace on facebook, looked a good 150 there on the terrace? Plus there'll have been a few in the seating stand too. 

Yeah, decent effort from the Knights fans and appreciated by Fordy and the lads.

I suppose Lingard won't be getting a Christmas card of Fordy this year after his comments after the game!

• Like 1

Regarding the conner incident the initial contact was clearly accidental as conner sidestepped and then slipped on the rock hard track, but the attempt to drag him to his feet by the scruff of his neck was not accidental. I can not understand what the ref and the touchies were playing at. It was a red card all day long. At times it did seem as though the north stand/south stand were reffing the game.

I'd say about 150/175 york fans made the trip o'er t'tops.

• Like 2

Keighley Sports News

Once upon a time in a land very very near there lived a rugby team who were great, one warm they day they played a team who were rubbish but very lucky. Despite the really great team being great and doing nothing but be great they lost by loads to the rubbish team who played rubbish. And they all lived happily everafter.

• Haha 3

Cougar loose on Sunday at haven they  can kiss goodbye to a top 5 position 

What a shame.

• Haha 1

Have a heart, Josh is Keighley's Operations Manager !!