Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

2019 NRL rejects coming to a club near you

With the rumour mill abound of transfers for 2019, I thought I'd start a thread on NRL players who will be likely to be plying their trade in Super League in 2019 and whether people thought they'd be a success or not.

So far, we have rumoured:

• Jackson Hastings to Huddersfield?
  • Akila Uate to Huddersfield?
  • Josh Morris to Toronto?
  • Antonio Winterstein to..........
  • Chris Sandow to............
  • Brendan Elliot to.............
  • Kieran Foran to............
  • Anthony Gelling to Catalans/Widnes?
  • Jason Clark to Warrington
  • Sia Soliola to................

I've never rated Winterstein much, and Uate is a shadow of the player he was with increasing defensive fragilities. Hastings would be good if he kept out of trouble. Clark should be solid if unspectacular. Soliola should still be able to do a job for a year or 2 somewhere. Morris would be very good for Toronto. Again, past his best but still a good player in the NRL and should be over here

How will this impact on DR?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always quite liked Winterstein. Goes about his business and scores plenty. I think he had a bit of long injury lay off recently, so not sure how thats effected him. Morris, Hastings, Foran and Blake Austin would all go well.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

With the rumour mill abound of transfers for 2019, I thought I'd start a thread on NRL players who will be likely to be plying their trade in Super League in 2019 and whether people thought they'd be a success or not.

I've never rated Winterstein much, and Uate is a shadow of the player he was with increasing defensive fragilities. Hastings would be good if he kept out of trouble. Clark should be solid if unspectacular. Soliola should still be able to do a job for a year or 2 somewhere. Morris would be very good for Toronto. Again, past his best but still a good player in the NRL and should be over here

Cas are rumoured to be looking at a young half back at Canberra.  Prob this year rather than next though.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Cas are rumoured to be looking at a young half back at Canberra.  Prob this year rather than next though.

Looking at 2 young full backs apparently: Brad Abbey and Matt Cooper (19 year old, not played 1st grade NRL yet).

7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Leeds are going to announce an immediate signing very soon. I have not heard who it is but I fancy it’s an NRL import. 

Unfortunately it appears to be Luke Briscoe one more time.

17 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Time they pay the players wages plus his living accomodation that money would be spent on junior development

15 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Time they pay the players wages plus his living accomodation that money would be spent on junior development

Junior development is too much of a risk to clubs looking to avoid relegation

It's a luxury only affordable by clubs that know they are unlikely to be troubled by this event.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Blake Austin has also been mentioned in dispatches.

EDIT: Leeds http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/blake-austin-headed-for-super-league-11861/

I've secretly been hoping the Giants would make him an offer. Perfect for SL really, loads of talent but will never play SOO or International footy so won't be giving up those chances by coming here, and a playing style perfect for our game 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ant said:

Junior development is too much of a risk to clubs looking to avoid relegation

It's a luxury only affordable by clubs that know they are unlikely to be troubled by this event.

Got to agree Ant, back to half a season of meaningless matches for a few clubs once the 8's have gone and eventually it is back to a closed shop, but who am I to criticize because I prefer to see something meaningful by the results of the games played,  each to their own i suppose.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Got to agree Ant, back to half a season of meaningless matches for a few clubs once the 8's have gone and eventually it is back to a closed shop, but who am I to criticize because I prefer to see something meaningful by the results of the games played,  each to their own i suppose.

What meaningful outcome has happened in the last 5 years?

The make-up of Superleague is the same now as it was when the super 8s started.

It's been nothing but a disaster for the game. 

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

What meaningful outcome has happened in the last 5 years?

The make-up of Superleague is the same now as it was when the super 8s started.

It's been nothing but a disaster for the game. 

Fine, simple question, do you think given the same position over the last 3 seasons that supporting your club in a league structure were you are 'safe' would you still have had that anticipation, elation, worry and euphoria, from the games you attended, you see that is what I deem sport to be about it is about both pleasure and exasperation, if I lived in your world of medicroity I would stay at home. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Well given prior to that I saw my club competing for top spot and even winning the LLS its a moot point surely?

The ability for the club to do that was built on over a decade of stability and infrastructure development made possible by not having to worry about p&r.

So I guess the overall improvement of the league, the quality of product and the advancement of player development was worth this supposed mediocrity.

The desire for elation and worry is fine, the problem is p&r focuses the emotion at the wrong end of the league table. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ant said:

Well given prior to that I saw my club competing for top spot and even winning the LLS its a moot point surely?

The ability for the club to do that was built on over a decade of stability and infrastructure development made possible by not having to worry about p&r.

So I guess the overall improvement of the league, the quality of product and the advancement of player development was worth this supposed mediocrity.

The desire for elation and worry is fine, the problem is p&r focuses the emotion at the wrong end of the league table. 

Ant, Yes Hudds had a purple patch for a couple or three seasons and I honestly hope you enjoyed it while it lasted, this happens, I don't like football analygies but Hudds could well be the Leicester City of RL, in that they popped their head above the parapet for a while but like everything else in life it soon settles back down to normality.

Irrespective of the advent of the 8's your club would never or will never have the sustained belonging to be 'penthouse' dwellers as do Wigan, Leeds and Saints, your time may come again but in the main should we revert back to the closed shop you will be attending games in the middle to the end if the season that have little to no excitement as to what the result means.

Take a look at the history books. 3 teams have always dominated the table. The only times this has changed is during licencing. 

But yeah, you troll on

Uate is half the player he was for some reason . Can run it back strongly but his involvement is less , and defensively , particularly under the bomb , he’s really iffy. I’d have Gelling and definitely soliola he’s granite 

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fine, simple question, do you think given the same position over the last 3 seasons that supporting your club in a league structure were you are 'safe' would you still have had that anticipation, elation, worry and euphoria, from the games you attended, you see that is what I deem sport to be about it is about both pleasure and exasperation, if I lived in your world of medicroity I would stay at home. 

Just a thought.

If I had realised how good it was for my club to bring young players through and not sign stop gap Aussie's then I would be happy. I don't need the excitement of a threat of relegation and the potential loss of my club. I can bide my time and enjoy the fruits of development as long as I see my club moving forward.