Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Kangaroos to play in New York

Strong rumours that New York will host a Kangaroo test at the end of the season, possibly as part of a double header.

Will be announced within the next couple of weeks, apparently.

Could well be against Tonga: 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/two-bold-proposals-for-kangaroos-to-play-tonga-in-us-this-year-20180421-p4zaw6.html 

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well well well . Wonder what all those knocking this now will say then , and how will the clubs react ?

They have mentioned playing in Auckland, Brisbane and Dubai. Now the US?

Why don't they just make a decision. This has been going on for months. Both Mal Meninga and Kristian Woolf saying "we really want to do something etc ect" - Just do it.

Because knowing rugby league, it'll all be too hard and nothing will be announced. Brisbane is the best venue for what its worth anyway.

41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Strong rumours that New York will host a Kangaroo test at the end of the season.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/two-bold-proposals-for-kangaroos-to-play-tonga-in-us-this-year-20180421-p4zaw6.html 

They're being extraordinarily cavalier with the safety of their precious players, aren't they?  :tongue:

Or maybe they just don't value Australians as highly as they do Brits and Kiwis...

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They’ve plenty of time to find out where it is . 

There isn't a suburb of Sydney called New York, is there?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Amazingly they played the USA In December 2004, and just scraped by 36-24......Its a shame the US aren't on the level to offer this sort of competiton regularly. I think  the Oz players took that game a bit lightly, and had to pull it out late on, to save embarrassment.

If Oz play in the States, England or ideally GB is the best opponent as its the biggest challenge, and probably the best spectacle, bar Oz v NZ.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Amazingly they played the USA In December 2004, and just scraped by 36-24......Its a shame the US aren't on the level to offer this sort of competiton regularly. I think  the Oz players took that game a bit lightly, and had to pull it out late on, to save embarrassment.

If Oz play in the States, England or ideally GB is the best opponent as its the biggest challenge, and probably the best spectacle, bar Oz v NZ.

I vaguely remember that game. IIRC they  essentially played on an American Football pitch. Posts and all.

Aussie RL talk of organizing international fixtures or expanding the game nationally always comes across as though they are trying something as difficult as landing men on the moon. Other sports just don't seem to have the same 'problems' that RL has, and appear to regularly send their international teams to all parts of the globe without all the NRL style messing about and excuses.

In their domestic competition, I cannot remember a period in recent times when there hasn't been talk of a proposed Perth club entering the NRL - yet the A League (which has only been in existence for a relatively much shorter period than the NRL, has less finances than the NRL, is currently less popular than the NRL etc..) manages to have set up clubs not only in Perth, but in Adelaide,, NZ, Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne without too much trouble, and managed to miraculously solve the associated travel/insurance problems .

The world of professional sport is changing at such a rapid pace that RL needs to keep up and get in the scrap or get left behind.  I really do hope that the penny is finally beginning to drop for RL (and certainly for the NRL), that we need to get out there and be regularly showcasing the sport to the wider world with a proper expanded international fixture calendar.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There isn't a suburb of Sydney called New York, is there?

Some people who live in Lane Cove honestly believe they are from Manhattan.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

I vaguely remember that game. IIRC they  essentially played on an American Football pitch. Posts and all.

They did, at Franklin Field.  The first half of the match is up on Youtube:

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Strong rumours that New York will host a Kangaroo test at the end of the season, possibly as part of a double header.

One bid from the clowns who thought that Salford playing Catalans would be a draw for New Yorkers and no information on the other, I wouldn't hold my breath about this.

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

it was a sensational first and second quarter if you have time to watch it. Kangaroos had all their stars playing.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

36 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

it was a sensational first and second quarter if you have time to watch it. Kangaroos had all their stars playing.

I was there. Willy Mason broke his foot in that game and his club coach was furious about the Knagaroos having played the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

I was there. Willy Mason broke his foot in that game and his club coach was furious about the Knagaroos having played the game.

Nothing changes at clubs 😂 

• Like 1

It's starting to look increasingly like Australian RL is not wishing to get left behind promoting RL in North America. Perhaps they were miffed that the English/Kiwis are getting the jump on them. 

No problem at this stage, but from here it would be better if there was a coordinated effort. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

100% wont happen unless their is money in it for the NRL and the clubs don't come up with fake excuses for their players.

Australian Rugby League is very insular and getting more insular by the day.

57 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

100% wont happen unless their is money in it for the NRL and the clubs don't come up with fake excuses for their players.

Australian Rugby League is very insular and getting more insular by the day.

No matter how many time you might say that, the NRL are still the ones keeping the Pacific test teams, as well as rugby league development in their countries, afloat. What does the rfl do for it's neighbours? 25k grant to Wales and hastily arranged ad hoc tests against France... That's about it right?

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

No matter how many time you might say that, the NRL are still the ones keeping the Pacific test teams, as well as rugby league development in their countries, afloat.

Repeat a myth enough times it may become true eh? They sell the TV rights and get all attendance proceeds from a sell out match. The players get paid little. If the NRL can't turn a profit from these matches then they are incompetent.

If its such a burden though how about the NRL let Tonga arrange their own match, which they wanted to, instead of just announcing a match involving Tonga without even asking them? 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Announced within the next couple of weeks? That article is from April 21st. 

13 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Exactly. If there was a real desire to do this, it could've been sorted out long ago. 

13 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

Announced within the next couple of weeks? That article is from April 21st. 

Yes. Things have moved on since that article was published

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

Repeat a myth enough times it may become true eh? They sell the TV rights and get all attendance proceeds from a sell out match. The players get paid little. If the NRL can't turn a profit from these matches then they are incompetent.

If its such a burden though how about the NRL let Tonga arrange their own match, which they wanted to, instead of just announcing a match involving Tonga without even asking them? 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/jarryd-hayne-has-lit-the-fuse-ahead-of-the-international-round-saying-pacific-tests-would-to-better-in-america-than-england-new-zealand-and-australia/news-story/2cc2bc92704b211ee570bb2d949ffbb4

Interesting reading an interview with Jarryd Hayne where he speaks about the upcoming Pacific Tests:-

“Speaking to (NRL Pacific strategy manager) Franky (Puletua) a couple of weeks ago, we’re almost on par to break even with the Pacific Tests, which is a huge thing.

“Because we don’t have many major sponsors ... obviously the NRL is the big booster of making it all happen.

Doubt they make much from TV rights, as it's likely these games are added on to the main rights deal to give Fox in Australia some content to show on an otherwise blank weekend. I also believe the ticket prices are pretty cheap compared to other matches. 

I would agree that the Tongans should be allowed to arrange matches themselves. But if the NZRL had really wanted to play Tonga in Auckland (which was supposedly the Tongans preference), they would've sorted something out.

Edited by thirteenthman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1