Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

How can you say SL has no stars when there's Gigot and Jake Connor?

Recommended Posts

In this day and age we need players who fans want to see and gives the sport the platform to compete with other forms of entertainment which might stop people from going to see a game.

Both of these guys are box office, they are superstars and the games administrators should be shouting from the rooftops about the talents they have and the drama they bring to each game. 

Gigot just has that flair that is some times lacking in an era where territory and possession and risk management is king. He can do things that most players can't and can turn a game on its head all by himself. 

Connor makes for a great pantomime villain but can back it up with great plays. 

Why is there no social media platform which tells the world about these great players? 

When folk say there are no characters in the game anymore, tell them they're wrong, these are two prime examples. They're just not promoted well enough. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

In this day and age we need players who fans want to see and gives the sport the platform to compete with other forms of entertainment which might stop people from going to see a game.

Both of these guys are box office, they are superstars and the games administrators should be shouting from the rooftops about the talents they have and the drama they bring to each game. 

Gigot just has that flair that is some times lacking in an era where territory and possession and risk management is king. He can do things that most players can't and can turn a game on its head all by himself. 

Connor makes for a great pantomime villain but can back it up with great plays. 

Why is there no social media platform which tells the world about these great players? 

When folk say there are no characters in the game anymore, tell them they're wrong, these are two prime examples. They're just not promoted well enough. 

Which social media platforms were you thinking of? Both players have featured on the likes of youtube and twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a sport, I think we have vastly under used Ryan Hall as well.  He is a huge man but fantastically athletic capable of doing some wonderful things on the pitch (see the Denver try).

Add to that the fact that he is well spoken, clever and (to my untrained eye at least) pretty good looking - he should be a marketers dream.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can you say SL has no stars when there's Gigot and Jake Connor?

 

Because they might have to stop moaning for a moment to admit it!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As a sport, I think we have vastly under used Ryan Hall as well.  He is a huge man but fantastically athletic capable of doing some wonderful things on the pitch (see the Denver try).

Add to that the fact that he is well spoken, clever and (to my untrained eye at least) pretty good looking - he should be a marketers dream.

 

 

Never confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree and agree. 

Hall, Watkins, Gigot, LMS, Connor, Fages, Gale, Gildart, McGilivray, Ratchford etc etc 

There's alot of players with talent and some story.. 

Gigot, Connor, Gale and Hall would be the main 4 imo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Louie Mccarthy Scarsbrook. The Cockney Forward who plays for Saints. Quite a character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Agree and agree. 

Hall, Watkins, Gigot, LMS, Connor, Fages, Gale, Gildart, McGilivray, Ratchford etc etc 

There's alot of players with talent and some story.. 

Gigot, Connor, Gale and Hall would be the main 4 imo. 

Broadly agree.  However, there could be a down side to using Ryan Hall.  As I understand it (and I would be delighted to be corrected), he is not a great fan of the game; he doesn't follow it much, other than in the context of his job.  I believe his greatest (non-RL) claim to fame is an ability to solve Rubik's Cube in a matter of seconds.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

In this day and age we need players who fans want to see and gives the sport the platform to compete with other forms of entertainment which might stop people from going to see a game.

Both of these guys are box office, they are superstars and the games administrators should be shouting from the rooftops about the talents they have and the drama they bring to each game. 

Gigot just has that flair that is some times lacking in an era where territory and possession and risk management is king. He can do things that most players can't and can turn a game on its head all by himself. 

Connor makes for a great pantomime villain but can back it up with great plays. 

Why is there no social media platform which tells the world about these great players? 

When folk say there are no characters in the game anymore, tell them they're wrong, these are two prime examples. They're just not promoted well enough. 

I can see why you chose these two, TD.  There is an irony, however, in that.

As I recall, in the most recent Hull FC -v- les Dracs match, in a single play we saw why Gigot can be brilliant and Connor irritating!  A great solo effort by Gigot saw him cross the line to touch down.  But Connor claimed to have suffered one of those 'modern' obstructions (a claim upheld on video review, to be fair to him)  He was so busy appealing to the referee that he totally missed a second chance he had to stop Gigot dead in his tracks, short of the line, as the Frenchman turned through ninety degrees and drifted past the otherwise engaged Connor!  It was arguably the best 'try' disallowed on reference to the video ref that I have seen this season!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I can see why you chose these two, TD.  There is an irony, however, in that.

As I recall, in the most recent Hull FC -v- les Dracs match, in a single play we saw why Gigot can be brilliant and Connor irritating!  A great solo effort by Gigot saw him cross the line to touch down.  But Connor claimed to have suffered one of those 'modern' obstructions (a claim upheld on video review, to be fair to him)  He was so busy appealing to the referee that he totally missed a second chance he had to stop Gigot dead in his tracks, short of the line, as the Frenchman turned through ninety degrees and drifted past the otherwise engaged Connor!  It was arguably the best 'try' disallowed on reference to the video ref that I have seen this season!

Do you mean the game in France?

I certainly recall Scott Taylor moaning to the ref about obstruction when he could have tackled a Catalans scorer but not Jake Connor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is Jake Connor a star? Good player but hardly on the same level of people like Barba, Williams, Percival, Parcell etc. 

He is a better footballer than Williams or Percival, and has far more marketability than Parcell (a good player, but basically a nuggety competitor). I will give you Barba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Louie Mccarthy Scarsbrook. The Cockney Forward who plays for Saints. Quite a character. 

He's not a Cockney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Do you mean the game in France?

I certainly recall Scott Taylor moaning to the ref about obstruction when he could have tackled a Catalans scorer but not Jake Connor.

Morning, OF.

No, I do mean Jake Connor.  It was perhaps unfair of me to say that Gigot 'drifted past' Connor.  Looking at it again, I am reminded that what happened was that Gigot broke free of Connor's attempted tackle and then had to turn through ninety degrees to then side step past two other Hull players.  While he was doing so, Connor merely stood still with arms held out wide appealing for a penalty.  I am sure he could have moved forward and either tackled Gigot, or half-tackled him and in so doing slowed him down enough for a colleague to come in and help to complete the tackle.  To be fair to Connor, he wasn't the only Hull player to assume that Gigot would still be stopped short of the line by two other Hull players who unsuccessfully attempted to do so.

It happens at about 4.19 of the resume of the match on the Dragons YouTube channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Johnstone scored a try yesterday that Hall and JM could only dream of yesterday, but sadly due to a certain twisted Hull fan he can no longer be mentioned due to the fact that one individual (me) didn't rate Briscoe as the second coming.

That said and dig aside, for now I'm happy enough with Hall and JM but lets be straight about one thing that was not a full NZ team and it was not a full test so lets not get carried away with our alleged talent pool - it's improved but we are still a fair few match winners behind Australia.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

He is a better footballer than Williams or Percival, and has far more marketability than Parcell (a good player, but basically a nuggety competitor). I will give you Barba.

Are you serious there? Williams and Percival are far better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Are you serious there? Williams and Percival are far better. 

Yes I am. Percival is a good player, no doubt, but the Kiwi centre (Marsters?) showed up his weaknesses in this test match.

I haven't seen Williams have a good game since early 2017.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Yes I am. Percival is a good player, no doubt, but the Kiwi centre (Marsters?) showed up his weaknesses in this test match.

I haven't seen Williams have a good game since early 2017.

You’re basing an opinion off one game. Madness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday