Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Middle eight fixtures - What are they?

Is there anywhere I can find the potential fixtures for the middle eights? 

i.e. the bottom 4 SL teams against the top 4 Championship. 

What four home games would Toronto have, what would be the 2nd place club in the Championships four home games etc? 

If anyone could help with that it would be great.

33 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is there anywhere I can find the potential fixtures for the middle eights? 

i.e. the bottom 4 SL teams against the top 4 Championship. 

What four home games would Toronto have, what would be the 2nd place club in the Championships four home games etc? 

If anyone could help with that it would be great.

Generally, the Championship clubs only play 3 Home fixtures, and the SL clubs get 4 Home, generating 7 games in total. I think. Please feel free to correct me as Swinton have never been involved.

Ridiculous, a joke, take your pick.

6 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Generally, the Championship clubs only play 3 Home fixtures, and the SL clubs get 4 Home, generating 7 games in total. I think. Please feel free to correct me as Swinton have never been involved.

I was of the impression that the top two championship teams get 4 home games. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Like 3

Just now, The Daddy said:

I was of the impression that the top two championship teams get 4 home games. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

They do.

Also 9 & 10 in the sl get 4 home games

• Thanks 1

This was posted in the forum last season. I think it was correct, and haven't heard they've changed the allocation this year. 

IMG_1860.thumb.PNG.5a2e4981ccd8266448ad3ddd0b66458f.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Padge said:

Ridiculous, a joke, take your pick.

Go on then Padge I will humour you...................

Really good and fresh that remark, can't recall that you have ever mentioned that before, appreciate it, so funny......................

Or otherwise we can just treat it with the contempt it deserves.

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

This was posted in the forum last season. I think it was correct, and haven't heard they've changed the allocation this year. 

IMG_1860.thumb.PNG.5a2e4981ccd8266448ad3ddd0b66458f.PNG

Beat me to it Toby, if they are keeping to the same format, it is open to some teams as they get to know that their position is untenable, to manipulate who their oppsition could be and were they play them.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Beat me to it Toby, if they are keeping to the same format, it is open to some teams as they get to know that their position is untenable, to manipulate who their oppsition could be and were they play them.

Are you suggesting teams might throw a game in order to avoid trips to Canada or France? 

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

Are you suggesting teams might throw a game in order to avoid trips to Canada or France? 

Could be that, could be that TWP could manipulate where they wish to play and who they want at home.

For TWP, finishing top is by far the best tactic. It gives them 4 home games, with one of those being against the bottom Superleague club. 

Basically on current standings, they'll need to win their 3 games vs the other Championship clubs and vs Widnes at Lamport, then they'll get to host the MPG - probably against Widnes again! 

I could see them doing all that and going up but I don't think they'll beat any of the other SL sides. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

For TWP, finishing top is by far the best tactic. It gives them 4 home games, with one of those being against the bottom Superleague club. 

Basically on current standings, they'll need to win their 3 games vs the other Championship clubs and vs Widnes at Lamport, then they'll get to host the MPG - probably against Widnes again! 

I could see them doing all that and going up but I don't think they'll beat any of the other SL sides. 

Theres a good chance 4 wins will get you a top 3 spot this season if youve got a good goal difference

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Theres a good chance 4 wins will get you a top 3 spot this season if youve got a good goal difference

Yep. Quite possible the Superleague sides will take points off each too. 

At the moment, Widnes in the MPG seems a long shot. 

47 minutes ago, doc said:

At the moment, Widnes in the MPG seems a long shot. 

Widnes look dead and buried I'd be surprised if they stay up. Not much life left in Salford either. 

Not good for FEV on that fixture list. IF all stays the same, their away games are Toronto, Catalans, Toulouse and Hull KR. 

3rd looks the spot to avoid.

Not that I think it will stay the same btw.

Salford, Widnes, Toulouse and FEV to Toronto.

Edited by dixiedean

33 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Not good for FEV on that fixture list. IF all stays the same, their away games are Toronto, Catalans, Toulouse and Hull KR. 

3rd looks the spot to avoid.

Not that I think it will stay the same btw.

Salford, Widnes, Toulouse and FEV to Toronto.

With a massive home advantage and a couple more player signings, I feel that TWP can win all (or at least 3) of those games, plus an away game to the championship 4th place team, should be enough to get promoted, or at least a home MPG game.

Edited by ojx

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Last year Hull KR swept most Championship teams away yet inexplicably lost at Halifax despite being strong favourites, a result that meant they avoided a difficult trip to Toulouse in the middle 8s, IIRC.

Edited by Old Frightful
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ojx said:

With a massive home advantage and a couple more player signings, I feel that TWP can win all (or at least 3) of those games, plus an away game to the championship 4th place team, should be enough to get promoted, or at least a home MPG game.

You have other things to take into consideration. The 4 home matches won't be in a batch. When you see the actual scheduling of the fixtures, you might not feel as confident. Also it's not yet a given of who will be in those middle 8's from either SL or Champ.

The Championship has been competitive and the high light of the RFL season. That said I think only TWP stand a chance of promotion through the middle eights. The bottom four SL clubs are already preparing for these matches and will be at their best when the time comes. Widens showed that last year. I would like Toulouse to make it but think they will get the wobbles again.

42 minutes ago, Random tiger said:

The Championship has been competitive and the high light of the RFL season. That said I think only TWP stand a chance of promotion through the middle eights. The bottom four SL clubs are already preparing for these matches and will be at their best when the time comes. Widens showed that last year. I would like Toulouse to make it but think they will get the wobbles again.

The bottom 4 of SL isn't concluded yet. Hudds, Wakey,Catalans, Salford and Leeds all very much in the mix. Not only Championship thats in a battle. Nowhere near the business end yet. No point counting chickens.

Edited by SL17

23 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The bottom 4 of SL isn't concluded yet. Hudds, Wakey,Catalans, Salford and Leeds all very much in the mix. Not only Championship thats in a battle. Nowhere near the business end yet. No point counting chickens.

HKR Salford and Widnes are just about locked in. TWP will beat those teams but the Fev Fax and London won’t. 

10 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

TWP will finish top no question, AND they can to a certain degree going into the last round dictate who finishes in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, if the contest is still very tight for those teams down to 5th maybe 6th position were for those teams not only a win for themselves but other teams results control the final placings.  As the Frightfuly Old One reminded us last year HKR seemingly manufactured a result to avoid a trip to France, so it can be done.

Dependant on how the the league placings are situated it will be interesting going into the last round if a "manipulation" of a result could come into the reckoning, i.e. if Leigh are nailed on for 3rd but a loss would see them fall no further than 4th spot whatever the outcome of the other results they would avoid a trip to Canada and play the TWP at home, a fixture I am sure both clubs would rather play at home than away, BUT if in that round of fixtures results of all the games matter it could be that a TWP loss at home to Fev could ensure a home tie for TWP v Leigh.

Same goes for the remaining SL fixtures if that is very tight and there is no chance of making the top 8, tgey may also have a say in who goes where, as I say it will all get very interesting going into the last round for both divisions should the league placings at that time allow a "fabriction" of results to dictate the final league tables going into the qualifying 8's.

I can't see any other way the RFL can set the format for the qualifiers fixtures, this way it is transparent, but what I think that they have to avoid is that for any team travelling overseas, those from these shores and also T.O. and TWP that they are not making those oversea journeys on consecutive weeks, that could be a headache to sort out especially given that 4 teams have 4 home fixtures and 4 teams have only 3 home fixtures, and obviously the reverse applies.

Edited by Harry Stottle