Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Shaun Edwards to coach Wigan in 2020

Worst kept secret in rugby league.

Agent Andy Farrell was blabbing about Edwards in Australia while with Ireland, says Nosey.

Edited by Man of Kent

So is the real story S Wayne jumped before he was pushed?

Bringing back the glory days using an old boy, sounds like a public school novel.

48 minutes ago, Oxford said:

So is the real story S Wayne jumped before he was pushed?

Bringing back the glory days using an old boy, sounds like a public school novel.

It does sound a bit public school when you put it like that, although it's no different to what most clubs do sometimes.

On the original post i don't see why Wigan in their current position personnel-wise would agree an appointment with anyone for 2020 with a year-long gap - what if Mr-Interim-Coach-for-2019 came in and won everything? Doesn't make sense to me even when considering they may have to wait for Edwards' contract to end etc.

Whilst I’m sure Edwards is a great coach and a local sporting hero, he’s been out of the game so long that he’d be better spending a couple of years under a decent current coach before taking the reigns...   the last thing he wants is for things to not go so well in his first year and an impatient fan base end up remembering him for the wrong reasons.   If the Wigan board weren’t happy with Wane’s record of a championship and two cups then that puts Edwards under a fair bit of pressure...

• Like 1

I'd imagine Edwards is contracted till 2020.. If Wigan want him for 2019, which is clearly preferable, they'll have to work out something with Wales RU.

Massive risk if true. Been out of the game far to long in my opinion. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, steef said:

Massive risk if true. Been out of the game far to long in my opinion. 

I think there’s an article on here where he pretty much admits to having tried to keep up with modern RL techniques, just from watching on TV.

He’s never held a RL coaching position so he’ll need a few years under someone with experience (likely a Maguire, Holbrook or Price type coach)  until he’s UK to speed.   No matter how clever or motivational he is.

As a Wigan fan it doesn't fill me with confidence. So what does that mean for next year? We're just trying to survive?

Thats not going to pull fans through the gates is it!

7 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

As a Wigan fan it doesn't fill me with confidence. So what does that mean for next year? We're just trying to survive?

Thats not going to pull fans through the gates is it!

Getting fans excited, or pulling them through the gates doesn't seem uppermost in the minds of the people running the club at the moment.

I really don't know what is going on at Wigan currently, but there simply isn't any feelgood factor at all. I know plenty of people who have either stopped attending games, or at the very least not renewed their season ticket as following Wigan just isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. I think Wane's dour playing system, and his dour attitide overall doesn't help, but it's not just that. There is something else underpinning this bad feeling at the moment, I just don't know what it is.

Well, that has actually surprised me, despite some of the rumours about him going over to the dark side.

Would have thought any kind of coaching role in the NRL, even an assistants role, would have been more appealing than Scottish union. But i guess the money on offer would be vastly different.

Shame to see him leave the game.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Getting fans excited, or pulling them through the gates doesn't seem uppermost in the minds of the people running the club at the moment.

I really don't know what is going on at Wigan currently, but there simply isn't any feelgood factor at all. I know plenty of people who have either stopped attending games, or at the very least not renewed their season ticket as following Wigan just isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. I think Wane's dour playing system, and his dour attitide overall doesn't help, but it's not just that. There is something else underpinning this bad feeling at the moment, I just don't know what it is.

TBF to Wane the team have been fairly exciting to watch this year. The game as a whole seems to be in something of a slump (that might just be me reading TRL boards too much though).

Sad to see the Wane to SRU though. I'd have thought he would have been just what Catalans needed.

Whether you like him or think he’s a flattrack bully who’s built a team in his image, we’re losing a top coach to Rugby Union and that’s bad for the game. 

I’ll miss his embarrassing quotes and his bitterness towards St Helens but he gave us that “, this plan hasn’t gone according to plan” face after Flower attacked Hohaia, which led to a Saints trophy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

My  concern,  feeling, is that this might be the Lenagan effect.

46 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

TBF to Wane the team have been fairly exciting to watch this year. The game as a whole seems to be in something of a slump (that might just be me reading TRL boards too much though).

Sad to see the Wane to SRU though. I'd have thought he would have been just what Catalans needed.

They have been better to watch this season, I agree. However, they do still look like a team that is used to playing a boring game trying to play a less boring game. They don't look comfortable with it, and when it starts to go wrong, it goes wrong badly.

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

There is something else underpinning this bad feeling at the moment, I just don't know what it is.

Using niggly, borderline legal tactics to win rather than using the immense talent they undoutably have to win and thrill perhaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Rhino said:

Using niggly, borderline legal tactics to win rather than using the immense talent they undoutably have to win and thrill perhaps?

Yawn.

Edwards is still a Wigan icon, despite his years in the wilderness. His inspirational stature, good man-management (a transferable skill across any sports) and perfectionist commitment, assisted by a coaching team with up-to-date RL coaching knowledge (like Kris Radlinski, for instance) - it could well work.

And you just know he'll apply himself to re-learning the game as fast as is humanly possible.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, overtheborder said:

what if Mr-Interim-Coach-for-2019 came in and won everything? Doesn't make sense to me even when considering they may have to wait for Edwards' contract to end etc.

TBH none of this makes sense to me!