Sign in to follow this  
frank

World Cup Profit.

Was there a profit  announced from the recent World Cup?

Not that I'm aware of. Last I read there were financial disputes happening between the different host nations (or something), so a final figure hadn't been reached. That article strongly implied that the profit was fairly low. John Grant has said as much too. He's pushing for a RLIF tournament in 2019 to make up the shortfall... Which they should be doing anyway, so at least that's a positive!

The Aussies offered a guaranteed minimum profit when winning the right to host the event, but afterwards said they hadn't met it. Perhaps because they did such a poor job in generating crowds. The argument seems to be over whether or not the guarantee was actually a guarantee or simply an aspiration.

You'd really think these kind of things would be locked down in the contract so there was no wriggle room. Regardless hopefully lessons will be learned for future tournaments and money paid upfront. 

24 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Not that I'm aware of. Last I read there were financial disputes happening between the different host nations (or something), so a final figure hadn't been reached. That article strongly implied that the profit was fairly low. John Grant has said as much too. He's pushing for a RLIF tournament in 2019 to make up the shortfall... Which they should be doing anyway, so at least that's a positive!

Not quite, the dispute was between IMG and the RLIF

18 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The Aussies offered a guaranteed minimum profit when winning the right to host the event, but afterwards said they hadn't met it. Perhaps because they did such a poor job in generating crowds. The argument seems to be over whether or not the guarantee was actually a guarantee or simply an aspiration.

Turns out the games in PNG had high production costs which exceeded revenue for IMG which is why they are refusing to pay fees. Either way, bridges were definitely burned as the case has gone to court