Sign in to follow this  
slowdive

Assessment of Steve McNamara

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Maybe Saints should have kept Cunningham for a couple more years then. 

Did you seriously get that from my post? Absolutely bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Did you seriously get that from my post? Absolutely bizarre.

Well yes I did. I find your response very odd, based on what you wrote in your post, but each to their own.

Id say there many, many similarities between Radford in his first couple of years and Cunningham and their respective team's performances and the criticism they got from their own fans. 

Back on topic, I'll give McNamara a complete season in charge before I really assess his, and the club's, progress.

Things are certainly looking more confident at Catalans right now. Let's see if it lasts. Let's see if it's just the beginning.

Well, you wouldn't sack him today would you? He has got them playing some good rugby - they are in 'top six' form.

However, looking at the fixtures I still think they are unlikely to get into the top eight. That would make the season a failure and ensure he is under quite a bit of pressure to get off to a good start in 2019.

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Well, you wouldn't sack him today would you? He has got them playing some good rugby - they are in 'top six' form.

However, looking at the fixtures I still think they are unlikely to get into the top eight. That would make the season a failure and ensure he is under quite a bit of pressure to get off to a good start in 2019.

Not a failure, as he has improved a side that was utterly dismal and seemed to have forgotten how to win. He'll have a few new recruits to work with in 2019, too, so his presence isn't putting off some of Wigan's big-name players.

Not an unqualified success either, as that turnaround has taken a long time, hurting the club's chances for a decent position at the end of the season.

But I'd at least call it promising, as of this point in 2018, anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Drinkwater has made the most difference. Whoever signed him deserves alot of credit.

SM has done OK so far. Still can't say he looks like a top coach as the squad is better than 7-11....

damn straight, actually having an out n out halfback has done them the world of good.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

damn straight, actually having an out n out halfback has done them the world of good.

Yes the old fashioned kicking /organising game half rather than 2 runners /fb Halves are very important. Look at the warriors this year.... They signed Green and look how much better they are..

On 6/25/2018 at 3:26 PM, Father Ted said:

The Hudds come back is from the McNamara book of coaching. Still not recovered his reputation from his Bradford days and his coaching England to some utterly dreadful displays and results. I reckon he's hopeless.  

An incredible over-simplification. He was in charge at Odsal during an awful period of financial mis-management.  Even so, his signings were pretty astute even if they didn’t work out due to long term injuries. Plus there were some crazy on field incidents that were way out of his control.   

He’s an easy target for fans, but his time will come. 

43 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

An incredible over-simplification. He was in charge at Odsal during an awful period of financial mis-management.  Even so, his signings were pretty astute even if they didn’t work out due to long term injuries. Plus there were some crazy on field incidents that were way out of his control.   

He’s an easy target for fans, but his time will come. 

Agree with all that.  Crazy how our experts said he should be sacked, now they’re looking for any reason to criticise the bloke, despite a good winning run.  Daft thing is, they haven’t a clue what he actually does.

Nonetheless, Cats have a tough run in.  The loss at the Giants was a chance gone begging.

One thing I'm pretty certain of, Steve Mac couldn't care less what anybody on this forum thinks about him.

18 hours ago, Father Ted said:

McNamara's made himself an easy target for fans. "his time will come", you don't really believe that do you?

Yes.  it might be now...

McDermott out!

Radford out!

etc

They have been in top eight for, what, 12 hours all season? Give him the plaudits if and when they actually secure that status - which remains no gimme.

11 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Coach of the year?

If Dracs win the Cup and make the top 4 yes. 

I'll give him credit for turning them around. But I won't give him credit for some of the methods he's used to get there. 

The ends may justify the means but the level of cynical gamesmanship employed by Catalan in recent months has been a blot on the sport. 

I read this at a French forum (Google translation sorry) after the Wakefield match just played:

HUGE feat of the Dragons and THANK YOU ... I agree that right now we're walking on the water ... I criticized it when it was bad, but Steve McNamara did an incredible job and they create a team cohesion ... They play for each other and have an incredible confidence in themselves ... It's the leg of a great coach .... 

7 out of the last 9 in S.L. 77% success rate and 9 out of 11 if you include cup matches which equates to 82% success rate so he has turned the corner.Drinkwater was one of the missing pieces in the jigsaw.