Sign in to follow this  
chisholm

Playing Conditions

Genuine Questions folks, what is the criteria for player welfare in these weather conditions ? I understand that fluid intake and water breaks must be a priority, but what happens about pitch conditions ? 

I would imagine that most pitches are rock solid and all our players are lads who have to work for a living, if this was frost i am sure most games would be off. Not been in this situation before does anyone know what responsibility we as clubs hold ?  

1 hour ago, chisholm said:

Genuine Questions folks, what is the criteria for player welfare in these weather conditions ? I understand that fluid intake and water breaks must be a priority, but what happens about pitch conditions ? 

I would imagine that most pitches are rock solid and all our players are lads who have to work for a living, if this was frost i am sure most games would be off. Not been in this situation before does anyone know what responsibility we as clubs hold ?  

Yeah it's a good question. I know our neighbours over at Hunslet Warriors had an issue a couple of years ago where because their pitch was 'balding' and rock hard it was deemed unplayable and the game was postponed. As far as the heat goes we've agreed about suitable drinks breaks with the other side and referee prior to kick off and always worked just fine. Gets messy when it's not agreed beforehand (as in at a specific times) as then one team asks for it, or the ref decides, you'll always get one side feeling like it's to their detriment. 

Todays game at Mayfield was interrupted several times for water breaks. A very sensible attitude given the conditions.

Also a much needed win.

• Like 1

When the RFL came to talk to the clubs to try and win us round, the question was asked what is the difference between a baked pitch and a frozen one. not one of the RFL spokesman could answer, then after a lot of shoulder shrugging a reply came back in winter there is spikes/ruts due to frost. Then in a sheer moment of brilliance why don't you install an underground tank and catch the rain to water it !!!!!!. 

4 hours ago, trinity123 said:

When the RFL came to talk to the clubs to try and win us round, the question was asked what is the difference between a baked pitch and a frozen one. not one of the RFL spokesman could answer, then after a lot of shoulder shrugging a reply came back in winter there is spikes/ruts due to frost. Then in a sheer moment of brilliance why don't you install an underground tank and catch the rain to water it !!!!!!. 

Two went off with ankle injuries at the game I watched last Saturday - Did the RFL tell you to take a scrubbing brush into the shower after the game and scrub the burns ?

One of our lads posted a picture of his leg in a whats app group we have. It is a right mess. The club hosed as much water as physically possible on the pitch but the heat dried it straight up. I walked on to the pitch to check squad numbers for the team sheet and could feel how hard it was through trainers

1 hour ago, thepimp007 said:

One of our lads posted a picture of his leg in a whats app group we have. It is a right mess. The club hosed as much water as physically possible on the pitch but the heat dried it straight up. I walked on to the pitch to check squad numbers for the team sheet and could feel how hard it was through trainers

No joking,  use a scrubbing bush on the burns, it hurts but works,  I was taught it in the 80's by a New Zealander.

Just now, Marauder said:

No joking,  use a scrubbing bush on the burns, it hurts but works,  I was taught it in the 80's by a New Zealander.

I will let him know thanks

1 minute ago, thepimp007 said:

I will let him know thanks

Needs to be done straight away mate, in the shower after the game

Just now, Marauder said:

Needs to be done straight away mate, in the shower after the game

Ah he only put the picture in last night! May be a tad sore trying it now haha

The RFL have at last used some commonsense with regards to playing surfaces and issued guidelines through the leagues. 

16 minutes ago, chisholm said:

The RFL have at last used some commonsense with regards to playing surfaces and issued guidelines through the leagues. 

That's one more positive blown apart along with more players & spectators.

• Like 1

How many teams are going to adhere to the issued guidelines, most pitches now are scorched. Can any see both teams agreeing to call the match off????, drop a garden fork at shoulder level, fork penetrates fit to play fork does not penetrates not fit to play. So some club official needs to do this 2 hrs before kick off, rings the other team says yeah games still on teams arrive strip,warm up but the fields like concrete wont play because of this what happens next??? . Does the Home team have the right to say game goes ahead and you have to play or does the away have the right to say noway Jose. will the league stand but this policy or will the team that refuses be punished.    

44 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

Myopia

Whoever came up with the idea will probably have a PHD but not in common sense.

It does give guidelines,  which is what I asked for in my original post. So commonsense should be used now.

Can’t see any NCL pitches called off for pitches being unplayable due to them being too hard, one of the reasons for the switch to summer was “Less postponements” possibly something else the RFL could loose face over

Edited by Defender1
Grammer