Featherstone vs London - 22nd July
Halifax vs Toulouse - 22nd July

Leigh vs Swinton - 22nd July

Toulouse vs Dewsbury - 28th July
Toronto vs Featherstone - 28th July
Barrow vs London - 29th July
Halifax vs Rochdale - 29th July
Leigh vs Sheffield - 29th July

With the number of teams battling for the top 4 set to play each other, it makes it difficult to predict.

A shame that barely any of these crunch games will be on TV and that after next year maybe we won't have such an interesting battle at the top of the Championship.

I did a rundown, giving less even match ups a win to the higher ranked team and close matches mainly to the home side. Tied final points would be down to differential. This is not my final predictions, just speculations based on form as I read it at this point in time. 

Team Pt 19 20 21 22 23 Tot
1 Toronto 33 2 2 2 2 2 43
2 Toulouse 26 2 2 2 0 2 34
3 Halifax 25 2 2 0 2 2 33
4 Leigh 24 0 2 2 2 2 32
5 Featherstone 26 2 0 2 2 0 32
6 London 24 2 0 2 0 2 30
7 Batley 14 0 0 0 0 2 16
8 Sheffield 10 0 0 2 2 0 14
9 Barrow 13 0 0 0 0 0 13
10 Dewsbury 9 0 2 0 2 0 13
11 Swinton 6 2 0 0 0 0 8
12 Rochdale 6 0 2 0 0 0 8
  Totals 216 12 12 12 12 12 276

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

20 hours ago, RayCee said:

I did a rundown, giving less even match ups a win to the higher ranked team and close matches mainly to the home side. Tied final points would be down to differential. This is not my final predictions, just speculations based on form as I read it at this point in time. 

4 Leigh 24 0 2 2 2 2 32
6 London 24 2 0 2 0 2 30
7 Batley 14 0 0 0 0 2 16
9 Barrow 13 0 0 0 0 0 13
11 Swinton 6 2 0 0 0 0 8

Just look at the gap between 6 and 7. If an argument were needed for a change in the reward structure then there it is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

53 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just look at the gap between 6 and 7. If an argument were needed for a change in the reward structure then there it is.

The issue then becomes what structure?

16 hours ago, RayCee said:

The issue then becomes what structure?

Exactly the same as in SL and C1 would seem quite reasonable, wouldn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Exactly the same as in SL and C1 would seem quite reasonable, wouldn't it?

What I meant to say was what is your proposal to fix the issue?

Just now, RayCee said:

What I meant to say was what is your proposal to fix the issue?

Sad to say that I am in agreement with Ian Lenegan (never thought that I would say that) that the distribution should be equal between all clubs in each division - SL £1.7M, Championship £314K, C1 £75K. Whether this is what you mean by "fix" I am unsure.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sad to say that I am in agreement with Ian Lenegan (never thought that I would say that) that the distribution should be equal between all clubs in each division - SL £1.7M, Championship £314K, C1 £75K. Whether this is what you mean by "fix" I am unsure.

The funding isnt the issue , to achieve a competitive league the salary cap needs looking at , you have to decide wether you are going to allow full time teams , or force the league into part time operation

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, that is what I meant. However, clubs that have a wealthier backer will still have more money. So while that is the case I can't see the situation of a gap in a competition changing. Modern sport is all about money and the club with the most wins.

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

Yes, that is what I meant. However, clubs that have a wealthier backer will still have more money. So while that is the case I can't see the situation of a gap in a competition changing. Modern sport is all about money and the club with the most wins.

Oh, I agree, and it has always been so in RL as well as elsewhere. That is no argument for artificially skewing the system even more though.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The funding isnt the issue , to achieve a competitive league the salary cap needs looking at , you have to decide wether you are going to allow full time teams , or force the league into part time operation

I don't see that you can force clubs into any particular type of operation, nor why it would be desirable. The maximum salary cap exists, the same as in SL; individual clubs are required to provide the RFL with evidence to support the salary cap under which they will operate in any particular season, which was intended as a measure to protect some clubs from them selves.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oh, I agree, and it has always been so in RL as well as elsewhere. That is no argument for artificially skewing the system even more though.

The only way to stop the situation is get rid of promotion relegation, the system that the UK uses in sport. The NRL have an exclusive club arrangement where there is a top league that is the same every year. In the US, they have franchises and drafts. Is that the answer? I personally prefer how it is done in the UK, but it does create this somewhat uneven match up in the Championship.

Just now, RayCee said:

The only way to stop the situation is get rid of promotion relegation, the system that the UK uses in sport. The NRL have an exclusive club arrangement where there is a top league that is the same every year. In the US, they have franchises and drafts. Is that the answer? I personally prefer how it is done in the UK, but it does create this somewhat uneven match up in the Championship.

Stand back from the storm to come!!

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

If you are going to have a level playing field you would also have to limit the amount an owner is allowed to put into a club and to end parachute payments. However the downside would be a widening of the gap between SL and championship.

51 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Giving a club half a million head start doesn't equate to a level playing field.

Head start.. Comical. They got to SL via personal investment. Not the first time both Bradford and London took the one off parachute payment.

If you want to play with the big boys, you need investment to start with.

if you don’t agree with that, then you stay in the same rut.

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Head start.. Comical. They got to SL via personal investment. Not the first time both Bradford and London took the one off parachute payment.

If you want to play with the big boys, you need investment to start with.

if you don’t agree with that, then you stay in the same rut.

So are you saying half a million doesn't give an advantage.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:07 PM, RayCee said:

4 Leigh 24 0 2 2 2 2 32
6 London 24 2 0 2 0 2 30
7 Batley 14 0 0 0 0 2 16
9 Barrow 13 0 0 0 0 0 13
11 Swinton 6 2 0 0 0 0 8

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So tell us , who gets in , and who doesnt ?

See above.

4 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

If you are going to have a level playing field you would also have to limit the amount an owner is allowed to put into a club and to end parachute payments. However the downside would be a widening of the gap between SL and championship.

There isn't a simple solution. Do one thing for an upside and then there's a downside.

Archived