Sign in to follow this  
graham fisher

SWINTON AWAY

3 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

BSJ ...... You really think Toulouse away is winnable ??

Today was inexcusable on so many levels....... I do think we'll stay up but a helluva clearout and recruitment drive is needed before next season..... Huge disappointment this year and some players need to take a long hard look at themselves...... james glover definitely looks to have gone missing

that might be he has been tapped up by other clubs

5 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Today was inexcusable on so many levels....... I do think we'll stay up but a helluva clearout and recruitment drive is needed before next season..... Huge disappointment this year and some players need to take a long hard look at themselves...... james glover definitely looks to have gone missing

Does that clearout include the inept coaching staff

I broadly agree with BSJ - tho' I think the yellow for Iggy looked deserved - it was also daft and it changed the game's momentum. Swinton are not a bad side but Rams had the upper hand and could have won without that interruption. I also wouldn't acuse the players of not trying. The temperature was hard work for those stood on the terrace with a beer - it must have been really challenging out on the pitch but it looked to me like the majority put a shift in (although a couple had poor games and some poor decisions were made). 

I like Swinton's new home. The facilities are good and the staff and fans welcoming. Heywood Road suits Swinton a lot better than the AJ Bell. A good day out but a very dissapointing result.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, scally said:

Does that clearout include the inept coaching staff

I have a feeling theyll be on their way at the end of this season........ Whatever went right last season hasn't transferred in to this......  The problem then is who we can get, what players we can attract/afford and what the structure of the competition will be...... Bradford and (probably) York won't be relegation fodder IMO so we HAVE to up our game next year .......... 

45 minutes ago, XIII Ram said:

I like Swinton's new home. The facilities are good and the staff and fans welcoming. Heywood Road suits Swinton a lot better than the AJ Bell. A good day out but a very dissapointing result.

I agree its a good venue ... good bars and welcoming staff .... but!!!  the price of the beer!!  San Miguel was £3.95!!  .. and we all paid it happily!! ... its £3.15 at our place!!  .. I suspect we are the cheapest beer in the division!!  If we were to increase to £3.95 or even £3.50 ( still reasonable) .. what impact might that have on the salary cap??  ... So for me.. I would happily pay it and it would be more forecastable than the squad goals or all together initiatives .....  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

I have a feeling theyll be on their way at the end of this season........ Whatever went right last season hasn't transferred in to this......  

Last year was all about motivation from NK and Gaz Moores signing and it worked!!  In my opinion we don't appear to have many planned moves and of course we don't have a  scrum half to execute them! ..... So!!!! 

Edited by the old nine ole

19 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

I agree its a good venue ... good bars and welcoming staff .... but!!!  the price of the beer!!  San Miguel was £3.95!!  .. and we all paid it happily!! ... its £3.15 at our place!!  .. I suspect we are the cheapest beer in the division!!  If we were to increase to £3.95 or even £3.50 ( still reasonable) .. what impact might that have on the salary cap??  ... So for me.. I would happily pay it and it would be more forecastable than the squad goals or all together initiatives .....  

Sale FC set the prices on the beer and unfortunately we at Swinton Lions don’t get a cut of the bar takings.And as you Dewsbury fans will have seen Sale as a place is quite affluent compared to other areas in the Manchester area,hence higher prices.

One way or another Sale FC do very well from Swinton Lions from the rent and bar takings which has no doubt helped refurbish the bar areas.

2 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Hi Therein. If Toulouse have already qualified then there will be no incentive for them to win the last game. Remember that points aren't carried forward into the middle 8's, so it might be a chance for some of their players to recuperate. (Might, not definite by any means.) So, yes, a chance, no more than that.

I really believe that your  description of today's performance as inexcusable on so many levels is ill-considered. We lost by a  fraction in a very tight game that could have gone either way. 

It really is easy to advocate a clear out, provided that you can identify players to recruit who are better, and as affordable, as those that we currently have. Why do you think that we have the current squad structure? (And remember that we are in no better, or worse, position to recruit players than six other clubs clustered around us.) 

I don't think that today's performance was inexcusable. Had Sykes's conversion attempt in the first half been two inches to the right then we would have won, meaning that the responses of many fans would be positive, albeit circumspect. Did you watch the players at the end of the game? Were they happy to have lost? Were they complacent? They lost this match, despite trying hard in really difficult conditions (much harder to play in than to sup a couple of pints and chew on a burger), against a motivated and hungry team. It happens - that is what sport is all about.

We have all been following the team for many years and will continue to do so despite the setbacks, and I know that you are a part of this throng. As long as we survive to fight on another day, we will be there (moaning and grumbling in my case).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XIII Ram said:

I broadly agree with BSJ - tho' I think the yellow for Iggy looked deserved - it was also daft and it changed the game's momentum. Swinton are not a bad side but Rams had the upper hand and could have won without that interruption. I also wouldn't acuse the players of not trying. The temperature was hard work for those stood on the terrace with a beer - it must have been really challenging out on the pitch but it looked to me like the majority put a shift in (although a couple had poor games and some poor decisions were made). 

Nice ground, friendly fans (I have always found Swinton fans to be proper RL fans right back to the Station Rd days, same goes for the Oldham mob). Can't comment on beer prices as I don't drink (at matches - make up for it when I get home) but the pies were nice.

It was astonishingly hot and all of the players were suffering. They deserve credit for entertaining us once again. Now, that referee and his touch judges...........

• Like 2

Good morning BSJ.......... I did see the players at the end and yes they were clearly sickened to have lost..... BUT what I find inexcusable, is the number of times we give away needless penalties late in the tackle count which then result in us conceding points and losing vital games....... With the experience we have out on that park, this is IMO inexcusable............. James Glover's pathetic attempt at a tackle leading to a Swinton score, and (as I saw it) Iggy's stupid challenge leading to us being down to twelve men at a crucial time -- was it 14 points we conceded in that period ??...... all inexcusable.......... 

My comments on recruitment related to the challenges we face next year, when Bradford re-appear and probably YORK...... neither of which will be relegation fodder..........and based on this season's displays (yesterday and Rochdale at home especially) means we need to improve -- how we do, or afford, that is another question -- If we could have Stewards like they do at Swinton it might help free up monies to spend on the team............... Thanks for nothing, Kirklees !!

Yes, we'll be there next season, season tickets in hand once again.....................

• Like 2

A very disappointing result and not even my understanding with the top man upstairs could get Sykes to convert that last try. For the neutral very enjoyable to watch; for us put it down to a lack of composure at the end - we should have come away with at least a point had someone had the gumption to drop a goal in those last few minutes, we had plenty of opportunity. However we dust ourselves down again and keep going (one thing I did notice was how dusty and barren parts of the pitch were and struggled to convince myself we really had scored our first two tries given how hard it was to see the try line) and keep the faith. Like BSJ, Therein, ONO and the others we will stick by the team to the bitter end. Shook hands with a few Swinton fans at the end to congratulate them to show we can be gracious in defeat and they were gracious enough to accept they were lucky (and nice to be able to visit a ground by tram!). Despite the result a good day to be an RL fan.

Abart time I got involved in this debate

Talk of wholesale clear out of players

Just out of curiosity if we have a clearout.. Where will the the new players come from? Any players that will be available will be players from other teams that have "made wholesale clear out" so if their no good for their team, how are they gonna fit into our team? 

There's no quality players about, this fact doesn't seem to be grasped by some supporters, signing new players is a bit like dropping a tuna in a pool filled with sharks, even before the tuna hits the water, the sharks are circling, and once dropped the biggest hungriest, with the biggest teeth will get the tuna, 

As all the sharks (teams) are desperate to get quality meat (players) 

And simply the quality meat (players) are just not 2 a penny. 

I very much dislike how business is conducted when clubs can talk to players, players get approached and suddenly their focus is on their new green grass.. And that was kinda evident yesterday, NK is restricted to who he can drop as having no cover and this is compounded by players claiming they are injured but yet still drawn money, personality.. If you don't want to play, train, and show passion in the shirt ya can duck off.. Simple, crowther isn't our player but he run his blood to water for the shirt, I'm pretty sure that if NK had more depth some of the lads who played yesterday wouldn't have got a look in.. But we haven't so you can only play the hand your dealt, for the remainder of the season, the only game that is important.. Is the next game, yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is out of sight (sounds like a song) 

We look forward and not look back as doing so will stop us going forward,as daft as it sounds the sacking of Rick stone hit us harder than it hit Huddersfield, losing them players seriously disrupted our play, I'm usually pessimistic and "it'll end in tears" (so if your reading Tracy brabin don't be running to the police again trying to get me arrested) 

But I still believe we won't go down, and believe if the squad can come together and believe in themselves we can escape the drop.. And come the end of the season those players who don't wish to stay can ride off into the sunset and the supporters with respect that, if you don't give your all for the fan's, the shirt, the team, Neil Kelly, and last of all mark sawyer who been the good bloke he is has made sure you money is there without fail you'll carry no respect with the fans, remember we applaud players who have given they're all in the shirt when they come back when playing for their new team.

Just remember the abuse (which I don't condone) that some players get playing for us.. What it would be like if you wasn't playing for us and not given 100% in our last 11 games.. 

Either step up and be a hero

Or step down and be a judas 

And that goes for some supporters too

Who are widely critical but yet don't go to games regularly, not in the AR, not contributed to the all together fund, and avoided "The Dewsbury faithful" 

But claim they're a loyal supporter 

....... REALLY!!!!!! 

• Like 4

Credit to your fans yesterday, fair all the way through the game even when some of our more intellectually challenged fans were shouting abuse and stayed behind to clap off both teams. Always enjoyed my day outs in Dewsbury and long may it continue  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EQUALIZER said:

Top lads shame one of us wont be there next season.

There's a chance that St Helens reserves (oops) Sheffield could go down with Rochdale.. How good would that be eh ;)

Lets get it right we win as a team and we lose as a team .To blame iggy ######. Although it did not help.Trouble is were carrying at least a couple of players who may be through changing clubs are not giving their all. One man sin binned should have been able to survive ,however if two players arnt up for it means were down to nine. Why ten yards out in front of sticks no time left did we not have a drop. That point could be the difference. don't  know about Moore but if hes taking the easy route.Get rid. The injury to Reilly was due to him having to compensate for a pathetic attempt of a tackle from one of his team mates.

NED wants to line em up and ask who wants to play who has the guts to get us out of this  situation .I rather see us go down but go down fighting then play with two or three players pinching their money.

Edited by EQUALIZER
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

Lets get it right we win as a team and we lose as a team .To blame iggy ######. Although it did not help.Trouble is were carrying at least a couple of players who may be through changing clubs are not giving their all. One man sin binned should have been able to survive ,however if two players arnt up for it means were down to nine. Why ten yards out in front of sticks no time left did we not have a drop. That point could be the difference. don't  know about Moore but if hes taking the easy route.Get rid. The injury to Reilly was due to him having to compensate for a pathetic attempt of a tackle from one of his team mates.

NED wants to line em up and ask who wants to play who has the guts to get us out of this  situation .I rather see us go down but go down fighting then play with two or three players pinching their money.

Here here

Forget yesterday

Barrow next up

Sometimes we dewel too much on what we can't change.. 

Next week we can change.. 

Winning runs have to start somewhere 

So why not next Sunday :)

Might be a bit early, but doesn't anyone know how Reilly is? He seemed to be in considerable pain and then on crutches at the final whistle.

For a new signing he's been impressive this season and certainly puts in a shift.

I'd like to see what kind of contract tyson is on at Swinton.. 

Cos I'd snap him up

For his pure passion yesterday

He was scoring the try regardless who was gonna stop him. 

Being an occasional, neutral spectator, I honestly believe that there is nothing seriously at odds with the team. The major problem, IMO, is the fact that you require the forward line bulking up. No one setting up platforms or busting tackles thus enabling the halves to get to work. I realise that finances are tight but I do believe that with the forward line bulked up, the halves are good enough to take advantage. As it is, the poor devils are on a hiding to nothing.

17 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Being an occasional, neutral spectator, I honestly believe that there is nothing seriously at odds with the team. The major problem, IMO, is the fact that you require the forward line bulking up. No one setting up platforms or busting tackles thus enabling the halves to get to work. I realise that finances are tight but I do believe that with the forward line bulked up, the halves are good enough to take advantage. As it is, the poor devils are on a hiding to nothing.

It starts in the forwards undoubtedly. However, defensively the most important position in RL nowadays is centre three-quarter it requires skill, technique and nous; our centres were a converted second row and loose forward who don't really have the instincts for that position. This is why we are often broken "on the edges" as modern parlance would have it.

On attack we are truly short of half backs: Sykes works his socks off but has been a centre for most of his career and Brown is a loose forward by instinct and positioning.

Recruitment, injuries and loss of interest by a key player have been a problem but we will come again and show our mettle.

{Talk of players being tapped up and losing interest always crops up at this time of year. If it were true then why would it seemingly only affect our club? Why weren't a host of Swinton players equally distracted yesterday? It is a lazy excuse for a couple of below par performers, that's all.}

• Like 1

21 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Did I miss something ..... can anyone enlighten me why we didn't go for the drop goal on that 5th tackle on their line when we we under the posts??  ...... I feel so disappointed today ...  ... and even with Iggys brain fade we really should have won this game .... 

We failed twice to go for the one-pointer. My thoughts were that we should try and draw level and then go for all out victory; alas nobody had the nous to see that.

I'm with BSJ on the two incidents; I saw Iggy do nothing illegal and Hankinson probably comitted a foul and nothing more, but did it wake up Glover because he has been sleepy for a few games now?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coolie said:

I'd like to see what kind of contract tyson is on at Swinton.. 

Cos I'd snap him up

For his pure passion yesterday

He was scoring the try regardless who was gonna stop him. 

Tyson I think will move on at the end of the season and I have heard Widnes are keen on him,and my feeling is if that is true that is where he will end up at 

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Tyson I think will move on at the end of the season and I have heard Widnes are keen on him,and my feeling is if that is true that is where he will end up at 

I've seen him 3 times this season, on each occasion he's played like a man on a mission, he's so pumped up.. You'd think the lad had found Zak hardaker's secret stash and vaccumed the lot up,after seeing him play the passion is plain to see, yesterday he chipped over the top, got a favourable bounce and run over the line on pure adrenaline, that's the kinda player I want at dewsbury, felt sorry for reilly yesterday, got caught in a tackle trying to make up for another players half hearted effort, I understand why we didn't go for a drop goal, we was on top and a try would have taken the spoils, I can't understand sometimes why if the opportunity arises in the first 20 minutes take a drop goal.. Rather have it in the first 20,than scrambling for one in the last minute. 

• Like 2

Didn't go to the Swinton game but it seems from the bare facts that we lost on goal kicks. For a recognised goal kicker to have a conversion rate of 33% or less, is worrying. It would be interesting to know the conversion rate for the whole season if anybody has it, and whether it has fallen as the season as progressed. If Glover is having a difficult time scoring tries then he might have more success kicking goals. Give him the chance. Hallett could also be given a chance in the second row after some coaching. After all he has the physique and is possible fast enough for this position. His defence would have to improve though.!