Toronto

8 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

I’ve seen on another forum that TW will play their home games in the UK during the qualifiers 

has any one else seen this ? 

They better not because as a season ticket holder I will be posed off as I have already paid for those games.

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere the TW qualifiers are in Canada

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 hour ago, TheDuke said:

I’ve seen on another forum that TW will play their home games in the UK during the qualifiers

As NickWeaver says, that would alienate their local fans, so it won't happen.

This would make no sense.  They will def play them in Canada if they want this brand to grow.

They've got competition coming up fast as well.  The Ontario Arrows are rumoured to be joining MLR next season which is a professional Union competition that has launched this season with a lot of success.

The travel will be difficult for them flying to and from Canada every week but I’m sure I read earlier in the year that they would be playing home games in Toronto in the 8’s. 

They’re guaranteed top spot I’d say and they’ll almost certainly host Widnes (who’ll also have an away game at Toulouse) in Canada and hosting Super League sides, despite them being the poorer Super League sides, is a big step in the journey. 

If they do have to travel I would not be surprised if David Argyle stumped up to either fly them 1st class ( not sure how many seats there are in 1st) or even charter a plane.

I know when Coventry flew back last year the airline upgraded some of us. We decided that the tallest players should get the extra leg room and they said it made a massive difference in being able to sleep in comfort.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, TheDuke said:

has any one else seen this ? 

It is fake news. From those with an axe to grind. Why would you spend all that money assembling a team to get into SL, and then throw away home advantage?

Makes no business, commercial or sporting sense whatsoever.

And yes, I have heard it regularly.

TWP not playing in Canada would be a missive disadvantage to all SL teams...they want us traveling back and forth to give them a shot at beating us. I'm expecting a home and away every other week as its what give the SL teams the best crack at staying in SL and they already mentioned they wont be allowing us to have blocks of games in the qualifiers.

48 minutes ago, ojx said:

If TWP don’t play the qualifiers in Canada, then I’m out. For season ticket holders, those tickets are already distributed. 

Out out? Is this the first documented example of a TWP fan threatening to walk away from the game if something does or doesn't happen?

If so, you lot really have officially integrated into rugby league land.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 hours ago, jpmc said:

I can see Toronto fixtures working out like,1 away game,2 home, 2away, 2home, i dont have a problem with that

That wouldn't surprise me or may be 2 away, 2 home, 1 away, 2 home. I think that gives 3 weeks between end of the season and TWP's first home game in the 8s. More time to sort out any potential travel issues. Also would mean TWP would be playing home one week, away the next, then home the following week which some would like.

20 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Out out? Is this the first documented example of a TWP fan threatening to walk away from the game if something does or doesn't happen?

If so, you lot really have officially integrated into rugby league land.

Waited a year and a half to get a competitive game out here. There is no way they could play the games in the UK. 

5 hours ago, Bearman said:

If they do have to travel I would not be surprised if David Argyle stumped up to either fly them 1st class ( not sure how many seats there are in 1st) or even charter a plane.

I know when Coventry flew back last year the airline upgraded some of us. We decided that the tallest players should get the extra leg room and they said it made a massive difference in being able to sleep in comfort.

Rumour has it you’re seven foot two Bearman.

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

I'm expecting a home and away every other week as its what gives the SL teams the best crack at staying in SL.................

Two clubs have little chance of staying in SL. Widnes have no financial benefactor any more, and nor do Salford. Messrs Mr. O'Connor and Dr. Koukash have left their clubs and their player budgets have dropped to c.£1.4M to survive financially (for now). Contrast that with Argyles spending power.

These clubs are losing matches hand over fist and will lose their best players to other SL clubs as is the way of these things. This is why Mr. Lenegan was keen to drop Superleague to 10 clubs as soon as possible. The last time two clubs hit money problems was 2014 when London and Bradford collapsed (and they went to 12 clubs). If Salford and Widnes stay it will be very embarrassing for Superleague to see two clubs without the funds to compete smashed every week.

However the plan to drop to 10 SL clubs was defeated by the Championship clubs asserting their rights to have the current 12 club structure (less the middle eights) stay as it is until 2021. Above all this structure gives the championship clubs a lot of money up to that date. They have done you boys a favour.

4 hours ago, ojx said:

If TWP don’t play the qualifiers in Canada, then I’m out. For season ticket holders, those tickets are already distributed. 

Stay exactly where you are, no flouncing off. In January Ralph Rimmer made it plain Toronto would have no automatic right to SL entry as they were guests. He meant business,  as this publicly upset Rowley who offered money to get TWP a pass into SL if they won the qualifiers. Happily you boys did not have your usual fingers in your ears, albeit you thought it was a good idea TWP could come in and not take a share of SKY money, but keep all of the alleged $$Billion dollar TV deal Perez will get at some mystery later date (see below)

In late June (last week) a journo finally asked Mr. Lenegan the awkward question about would he still block TWP, and the answer was, if TWP won promotion that he and his fellow SL chairmen "would have no problem" with TWP coming in, alongside various eulogies for what a great man "David" was.

The block on a 10 club Superleague has now meant SL must stay at 12 and SL needs clubs with money to replace those collapsing, and so not only TWP could go up but so could Toulouse. Enjoy.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

This would make no sense.  They will def play them in Canada if they want this brand to grow.

They've got competition coming up fast as well.  The Ontario Arrows are rumoured to be joining MLR next season which is a professional Union competition that has launched this season with a lot of success.

Your dissembling. This was never about growing the "brand" of one club in Canada, which is a meaningless phrase. It was always about the growth of RL in North America. It was about 5-6 clubs in a transatlantic Superleague that Perez said would lead to that $$$Billion dollar TV deal for rugby league that Rowley laughingly tried to use as a non-existent bribe to release the block on TWP.

Remember this, applications for SL came in from TWP and New York, and nearly Boston, but that was that. nothing since. The New York bid did not go through and so Boston did not make a bid, but certainly the MLR were watching this with interest and as you know, setting up for professional RU clubs in Toronto, New York and Boston to head off the competition from Rugby league.

The transatlantic dream is dead. But Superleague need the money TWP and TO can provide to maintain 12 competitive teams in Superleague - for now.

Unless Canada start producing players, or TO manage to get the low number of quality french players up, both clubs could provide a very nice financial stop gap to SL until 2021. What happens then we really don't know, it's all speculation. But in the here and now "events dear boy" as a famous UK prime minister once said, have opened up the door to TWP and TO. Enjoy......

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

A lot of interesting stuff

I think Lenagan was brown nosing Argyle because, quite rightly, SLE doesn't want Toronto having the American TV pie to themselves. 

I notice Nobby is now asking for the Wolfpack to have a slice of the pie in today's League Weekly...

34 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Via Twitter, I've just seen a video by Yahoo Sports Canada on the Wolfpack gameday experience. This is the proper YSC, with stories about huge NA sports like Basketball players signing contracts for $severalgazillion.

Hopefully no one will see it and non RL fans will remain so.

And here it is: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/experiencing-gameday-toronto-wolfpack-133758048.html.

Archived