Sign in to follow this  
Krzzystuff

Qualifiers...here we go!!!!!!!!

So we're almost at the qualifiers and TRL has an article about what the games would be like for all the 8's based on current positions.

I gota say that from the current picture I actually think that the game vs. Toulouse would be the best game to go to vs. any of the SL teams. Salford are playing with their hearts on their sleeves so they might be a good one as well.

Who would you like to see come to the Den for a butt kicking? We get 2nd and 3rd from Champ and 10th and 12th from SL...so Widness are basically locked in and applying for all their travel documents...right? The champ is so close that we really won't know who's coming until the last game and Kayakman we still have a shot at them Rhinos coming to the Den if their current form...or lack there of...continues!

Also rumour has it there is actually a top of SL league as well that people sometimes pay attention to when they don't want to talk about how awesome the Chap is this year.

http://www.totalrl.com/how-the-super-8s-fixtures-look-on-current-league-standings/

Toronto

Home: Salford, Toulouse, Widnes, Featherstone.

Away: Huddersfield, Hull KR, Halifax

image.png.b3d13a771afd0e9ecd86a52d76944e62.png

image.png.385e2293182ae8878fd4aa2a5f979413.png

Edited by Krzzystuff

42 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

So we're almost at the qualifiers and TRL has an article about what the games would be like for all the 8's based on current positions.

I gota say that from the current picture I actually think that the game vs. Toulouse would be the best game to go to vs. any of the SL teams. Salford are playing with their hearts on their sleeves so they might be a good one as well.

Who would you like to see come to the Den for a butt kicking? We get 2nd and 4th from Champ and 10th and 12th from SL

I think we get 2nd and 3rd from the Championship at home, and 4th away; see chart below.

Not that that makes much difference this year, when it's a crazy scramble for 2nd/3rd/4th. I don't think we'll have a clear idea of who winds up where until after the July 22nd games, and perhaps not until after our game vs Featherstone.

I'm hoping for Toulouse and Halifax at the Den, as they are the only Championship teams not to make the trip yet. 

Qualifiers.png

Edited by John WP Fan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

I think we get 2nd and 3rd from the Championship at home, and 4th away; see chart below.

Not that that makes much difference this year, when it's a crazy scramble for 2nd/3rd/4th. I don't think we'll have a clear idea of who winds up where until after the July 22nd games, and perhaps not until after our game vs Featherstone.

I'm hoping for Toulouse and Halifax at the Den, as they are the only Championship teams not to make the trip yet. 

Qualifiers.png

you are bang on, it is 2nd and 3rd...don't know how i mixed that up when i had the actual list from the current standing! updated thread.

A Broncos supporter told me that if we get Hull KR at Lamport, their folks will travel en masse to the game. There are not on the home spot at the moment, but that will certainly move by the end fo this month.

Catalans are playing a better football now, so I think there are safe. Leeds, yeah I think TWP will have to travel there because I still think the Giants should be in the top 8.

2-3-4 of our league is very open. Leigh has an easy fixture compared the to 4 other teams, but they are 3 pts behind. That will be more interesting to follow than the remaining 4 games at Lamport I'm afraid.

• Like 1

yeah the last game we have with Fev will have big implications for the top 4 i think.

I'd love for my family and friends here to see Toulouse at the den, pretty much all of us who went to Magic commented at the time how they play a very similar brand of RL to the Pack. I'm also intrigued to see if any Quebecers come to Lamport if we play a French team, in fact I think TWP would be smart to market the game in Quebec as soon as they know Toulouse is coming. As I've said before I think Montreal would be a natural for RL. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I'd love for my family and friends here to see Toulouse at the den, pretty much all of us who went to Magic commented at the time how they play a very similar brand of RL to the Pack. I'm also intrigued to see if any Quebecers come to Lamport if we play a French team, in fact I think TWP would be smart to market the game in Quebec as soon as they know Toulouse is coming. As I've said before I think Montreal would be a natural for RL. 

Oh yeah. Makes me nostalgic for the Blue Jays v Expos games back in the day, when Montrealers came in droves to Toronto for the baseball derby. Good times.

• Like 1

By the way, does it start on August 4-5 or 11-12 weekend? There is supposed to be a break to organise the fixtures, but then we are one week behind compared to last year, and that could give 2 games - Challenge Cup break - 5 games, which is quite a different dynamic.

8 minutes ago, manu266 said:

By the way, does it start on August 4-5 or 11-12 weekend? There is supposed to be a break to organise the fixtures, but then we are one week behind compared to last year, and that could give 2 games - Challenge Cup break - 5 games, which is quite a different dynamic.

August 4/5 is the Challenge Cup semi-final, and it's still quite possible that one or two teams playing that weekend will be in the Qualifiers! So I'm sure Qualifiers will start the weekend of August 11/12, and you are right it will be 2 weeks, then a break for the CC Final, then 5 more games running through the weekend of September 29/30, with the Million Pound Game no earlier than the weekend of October 6/7.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:39 AM, manu266 said:

2-3-4 of our league is very open. Leigh has an easy fixture compared the to 4 other teams, but they are 3 pts behind. That will be more interesting to follow than the remaining 4 games at Lamport I'm afraid.

Featherstone should be a good match but don't forgot our match last year against York at Bootham Crescent.. OK we are playing at home and that makes a difference but things can go wrong quickly when we take our foot off the gas which we still have a disturbing tendency to do on occasion...

3 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

August 4/5 is the Challenge Cup semi-final, and it's still quite possible that one or two teams playing that weekend will be in the Qualifiers! So I'm sure Qualifiers will start the weekend of August 11/12, and you are right it will be 2 weeks, then a break for the CC Final, then 5 more games running through the weekend of September 29/30, with the Million Pound Game no earlier than the weekend of October 6/7.

Thanks for the confirmation. It will be a long post season.

2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Featherstone should be a good match but don't forgot our match last year against York at Bootham Crescent.. OK we are playing at home and that makes a difference but things can go wrong quickly when we take our foot off the gas which we still have a disturbing tendency to do on occasion...

Yeah but Toronto will be champion already, will be nice to see the trophy presentation but I think I'll pass and try to come to 3 Q games instead of 2.

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

Thanks for the confirmation. It will be a long post season.

Yeah but Toronto will be champion already, will be nice to see the trophy presentation but I think I'll pass and try to come to 3 Q games instead of 2.

manu266....are you aware the Championship Trophy is going to be in Toronto this Saturday...for presentation to TWP.

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

manu266....are you aware the Championship Trophy is going to be in Toronto this Saturday...for presentation to TWP.

One more reason not to come on July 28 then. Thanks for the info.

Personally I don't want to miss any games..not only do I love to see the Pack in competition but meeting all the travelling fans and  players and seeing their reaction to the Lamport atmosphere is what makes this such a compelling experience...I just hope all the teams in the UK particularly those who are struggling take something away from it. I know York City Knights did and look what Gav Wilson and his colleagues are doing now...They are thriving , it's reflected in  their achievements on the field and likely they will be rewarded by a move up to Championship. Marketing meet performance!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

great listening about the future plans for RL. Talks about some Toronto vetting at 50:40

Will get parkies tail wagging but just sounds like sound business due diligence and have no worries with a cautious approach.

https://whippetsandflatcaps.podbean.com/

Wolfpack said today their "best case scenario" under discussion with the RFL for the Qualifiers is:

2 games away (both in August)

2 games home (Sept 1 & 8 )

1 game away (Sept 15)

2 games home (Sept 22 & 29)

Edited by Loup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Loup said:

Wolfpack said today their "best case scenario" under discussion with the RFL for the Qualifiers is:

2 games home (Sept 1 & 8)

1 game away (Sept 15)

hmmm, no home game in August? Well people came back in numbers in September anyway, but still...

I need to move my July 28 bus ticket to another date. Do you think this will be confirmed by July 28?

47 minutes ago, Loup said:

2 games home (Sept 1 & 8)

1 game away (Sept 15)

Not bad at all. Where did you hear/read this?

17 minutes ago, manu266 said:

hmmm, no home game in August? Well people came back in numbers in September anyway, but still...

I need to move my July 28 bus ticket to another date. Do you think this will be confirmed by July 28?

I would expect  them to get this settled soon as clubs will need to know their travel dates and all. On the Whippets and Flatcaps podcast with Elstone had him mention that next week they will be meeting to discuss Toronto in SL so maybe end of next week we might have something.

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

I would expect  them to get this settled soon as clubs will need to know their travel dates and all. On the Whippets and Flatcaps podcast with Elstone had him mention that next week they will be meeting to discuss Toronto in SL so maybe end of next week we might have something.

If it is because of the Lamport not being up to standard I think they have to inform a team by the Friday of Round 23 if they will be accepted into SL. If not they will still be allowed to play in the 8's, just cannot earn promotion.

Edited by Medway Bear

37 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Straight from Coach Nobby. He, Reni Matua and Rich Whiting gave a presentation this lunchtime to the British Canadian Chamber of Commerce.

I'd guess having the first two games in Europe will give the visiting teams more time to get their visas sorted.

Edited by Loup
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Medway Bear said:

If it is because of the Lamport not being up to standard I think they have to inform a team by the Friday of Round 23 if they will be accepted into SL. If not they will still be allowed to play in the 8's, just cannot earn promotion.

What could or would be the problem with the stadium/field?

34 minutes ago, manu266 said:

What could or would be the problem with the stadium/field?

I love Lamport for its coziness, location, atmosphere (and of course our world famous beer garden) but the facility does need sprucing up, painting, better seats etc and of course it would be nice to have some weather protection but how you do that without losing its charm is a big question. Capacity needs to be added, we need to have 15-18000seats  but then of course we need more season ticket holders and larger walk-in crowds. Is it a question of build it and they will come?  ie will having SL teams in bring in those bigger crowds, I don't know but these are questions David Argyle and the other investors will get asked by SL are they not? and then there is the whole question of stadium ownership - it's the city of Toronto's stadium. Does the team have to buy it or sign a LT lease to make the improvements happen? and given how long it took to lay turf they'd better start the work in September!

On 7/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, manu266 said:

A Broncos supporter told me that if we get Hull KR at Lamport, their folks will travel en masse to the game.

When their cross town rivals, Hull FC, played in Australia earlier this year 1000s traveled to the game. Toronto is almost next door compared to a trip to Australia. The shorter planning time might reduce numbers though.

If they sing like FC fans it will be a great experience.

If you make Super League I will not be surprised if a few teams, if given a decent lead time for planning, bring nearly 2000 fans, especially in the first year where a trip to Toronto will be a novelty. Your stadium will sell out, the beer garden will run out of beer, and the English fans will sing and party. The away fans from some of the bigger SL clubs will also be an attraction for Toronto locals when thinking about going to a match.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I love Lamport for its coziness, location, atmosphere (and of course our world famous beer garden) but the facility does need sprucing up, painting, better seats etc and of course it would be nice to have some weather protection but how you do that without losing its charm is a big question. Capacity needs to be added, we need to have 15-18000seats  but then of course we need more season ticket holders and larger walk-in crowds. Is it a question of build it and they will come?  ie will having SL teams in bring in those bigger crowds, I don't know but these are questions David Argyle and the other investors will get asked by SL are they not? and then there is the whole question of stadium ownership - it's the city of Toronto's stadium. Does the team have to buy it or sign a LT lease to make the improvements happen? and given how long it took to lay turf they'd better start the work in September!

Robert....only got time (I'm running late right now) for 1 comment.  The bolding in your post above is mine. To-nights attendance for Huddersfield Giants and Hull F.C. was 4696!!!! And you say SL/RFL require 15-18000.  Quite a disconnect there wouldn't you say?

39 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Robert....only got time (I'm running late right now) for 1 comment.  The bolding in your post above is mine. To-nights attendance for Huddersfield Giants and Hull F.C. was 4696!!!! And you say SL/RFL require 15-18000.  Quite a disconnect there wouldn't you say?

not given our drawing figures out of the gate..league 1 - average 7000 per game, this year averaging 6400 (discounting Fletchers field and considering the consecutive weekend schedule) but I think that number will improve as we near the qualies. I think severely ramped up marketing for SL will boost the numbers considerably and we could surge into the teens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1