Sign in to follow this  
Krzzystuff

Qualifiers...here we go!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, RobertAM said:

not given our drawing figures out of the gate..league 1 - average 7000 per game, this year averaging 6400 (discounting Fletchers field and considering the consecutive weekend schedule) but I think that number will improve as we near the qualies. I think severely ramped up marketing for SL will boost the numbers considerably and we could surge into the teens.

I believe the capacity is 9,600 which hasn’t been reached so far. I wouldn’t be fretting about more capacity for now. If the WP make it into SL next year, I don’t think it would be a sellout for each match. There may be some that would be but the occasional house full scenario can heighten interest. 

Getting to the ground and facilities coping with the numbers are important. Waiting too long for a beer, food and the toilets are a real turn off. A competitive home side is always helpful as well. 

If the game day experience is enjoyable, people will return, and then the capacity will become an issue. However, as you say Robert, the charm of the event has to be retained. You have to give the punters what they want, what they enjoy and the positive vibe becomes infectious.

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

I believe the capacity is 9,600 which hasn’t been reached so far. I wouldn’t be fretting about more capacity for now. If the WP make it into SL next year, I don’t think it would be a sellout for each match. There may be some that would be but the occasional house full scenario can heighten interest. 

Getting to the ground and facilities coping with the numbers are important. Waiting too long for a beer, food and the toilets are a real turn off. A competitive home side is always helpful as well. 

If the game day experience is enjoyable, people will return, and then the capacity will become an issue. However, as you say Robert, the charm of the event has to be retained. You have to give the punters what they want, what they enjoy and the positive vibe becomes infectious.

Growing, growing, growing but the end game is certainly not even visible on the horizon yet...still a long way to go!

This seasons fixtures were pretty uninteresting tbh.  We played three good home fixtures in the UK and have basically spent our entire home stand playing the bottom half of the Championship.  I'm waiting for the Eights but will be disapppointed if there are no games in August.  

Does the RFL not realize they probably shouldn't schedule major games on holiday weekends in Canada?

First home game of the Eights on Labour Day Weekend?  I will be at a wedding in Nova Scotia then.

I'll have to target the game on 8 Sep as I will be in British Columbia for work for two months come 20 Sep.

Edited by CanadianRugger
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Does the RFL not realize they probably shouldn't schedule major games on holiday weekends in Canada?

First home game of the Eights on Labour Day Weekend?  I will be at a wedding in Nova Scotia then.

Same for travelling fans. Long weekends are on paper interesting, but train/bus tickets, hotels are more expensive. I came for Canada day weekend because I had other things to do in Toronto, but not sure I can make it for Labour Day, I hope they don't give us a big one for that weekend.

growing pains. The RFL has issues doing a proper schedule in the UK so expecting them to take into account our national holidays is a bit much in all honesty. I think that TWP likes having the home games on Canada day so I don't expect them working with the RFL to get that one moved.

As a SL team moving up thorough the divisions i agree that the games aren't the best, we've had a much more interesting season this year because half of the Championship is around our level but as we've seen SL opposition will mean a proper game with loses and the thrill of a legitimate challenge. Sheffield have admitted that they aren't even trying this weekend because they know it's a loss and I'm 100% sure if they got the option to throw the game and avoid the trip the would have done it. Only 11 games until SL folks, we're almost there. 4 of the 11 will be vs. SL steams

Now...now...lets not get over confident.... one game at a time...one at a time and knock them down...gotta try to stay healthy for the eights....  plus some of the teams will really DR for the playoffs I just bet.  Use these games to perfect our style for the 8's.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

some of the teams will really DR for the playoffs

Unlikely. Toulouse, London, Halifax and Leigh don't use DR at all.

Fev's DR is with Leeds who may be in the Middle 8's.

If they are, they can only play for one team...which won't be Fev, rest assured.

5 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

. Sheffield have admitted that they aren't even trying this weekend because they know it's a loss and I'm 100% sure if they got the option to throw the game and avoid the trip the would have done it. 

I really don't understand the attitude of teams not playing their best available squad. I realize they want to play "players" strategically with key games to come but to me they should be going out all out to win every game and I hate to keep harping about YCK but coach Ford at Lamport told me he thought they could takes us at Bootham and so he assembled the best team he could and they pulled what had to be the biggest upset of the year when they kicked our behinds in the S8's. That's the attitude that wins games and I know part timers find it more difficult to travel due to work commitments but do any of them or their clubs go to their employers and say "sponsor me to go over, stick a label on my shirt" and get some promotion out of it. I know our marketing is good but surely the league could see value in helping the clubs in this manner or am i missing something??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Unlikely. Toulouse, London, Halifax and Leigh don't use DR at all.

Fev's DR is with Leeds who may be in the Middle 8's.

If they are, they can only play for one team...which won't be Fev, rest assured.

So how do they beef up then...just sign guys to short term contracts?

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So how do they beef up then...just sign guys to short term contracts?

Yes. Like this.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/hull-kr-sign-todd-carney-1757366

Leigh released 2 today as well. Sure sign they'll be bringing in one or two.

Edited by dixiedean
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I really don't understand the attitude of teams not playing their best available squad. I realize they want to play "players" strategically with key games to come but to me they should be going out all out to win every game and I hate to keep harping about YCK but coach Ford at Lamport told me he thought they could takes us at Bootham and so he assembled the best team he could and they pulled what had to be the biggest upset of the year when they kicked our behinds in the S8's. That's the attitude that wins games and I know part timers find it more difficult to travel due to work commitments but do any of them or their clubs go to their employers and say "sponsor me to go over, stick a label on my shirt" and get some promotion out of it. I know our marketing is good but surely the league could see value in helping the clubs in this manner or am i missing something??

I don't know. But if I were a fringe player, unlikely to play, and there were a seat on a plane for me to have a paid holiday I might be a little annoyed. Especially if I had spotted the date of the fixture and arranged my affairs accordingly to be available.

I might consider it a perk of the job.

35 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

I don't know. But if I were a fringe player, unlikely to play, and there were a seat on a plane for me to have a paid holiday I might be a little annoyed. Especially if I had spotted the date of the fixture and arranged my affairs accordingly to be available.

I might consider it a perk of the job.

And also a chance to show your stuff and on TV at that!  Opportunity knocks in such situations!

Qualifiers...here we go!

It's the most wonderful time of the year ..... if you've avoided the middle eights and enjoy pulling the legs of spiders off one by one!

Edited by Oxford

Well now TWP have won the title and 4 home games are confirmed who do I want to see in Toronto?

My heart says TO and Halifax as they haven't some to Toronto, but Leigh worry me and IF they make it, it would help if they had to come to Toronto, so that would be one team from the Championship and the other would be TO because  I haven't seen them yet.

From SL I think it is probable it will be Widnes because they are  in real trouble and look stuck to the basement of SL so whether I want them or not they are probably coming over. The other team I want to see is Leeds, not because I think TWP can beat them, but because when growing up I was a Leeds United fan. On Grandstand they showed rugby so I had to pick a team so Leeds was the obvious one. I never thought I would have the chance to watch them play and now there is a chance I could see them in Toronto!!

• Like 2

Has there been any word on who will broadcast these in Canada? I am guessing it will be one of the Sportsnet channels as they own the rights to Super League. 

image.png.dcc54fc8b8fd3570e9506a6e3d414712.png

Well well, interesting weekend. TWP champions, that draw between Toulouse and London, and Halifax topping Fev.

Halifax going to London next week, will be the one to follow.

image.png.86590bbe60bf8d81cd2f797b05303650.png

Leeds is in the B4 and hosting Wakefield next week. Catalans solid again.

Hull KR, 2 in a row and currently in the "Lamport spot", and going to Widnes next week.

6Pts to go!!!

13 hours ago, Medway Bear said:

Well now TWP have won the title and 4 home games are confirmed who do I want to see in Toronto?

My heart says TO and Halifax as they haven't some to Toronto, but Leigh worry me and IF they make it, it would help if they had to come to Toronto, so that would be one team from the Championship and the other would be TO because  I haven't seen them yet.

From SL I think it is probable it will be Widnes because they are  in real trouble and look stuck to the basement of SL so whether I want them or not they are probably coming over. The other team I want to see is Leeds, not because I think TWP can beat them, but because when growing up I was a Leeds United fan. On Grandstand they showed rugby so I had to pick a team so Leeds was the obvious one. I never thought I would have the chance to watch them play and now there is a chance I could see them in Toronto!!

I'm most likely going to just one game when the qualifiers come around and I'm really leaning towards seeing Toulouse if they are one of the teams vs a SL outfit...unless it's Leeds...then I might just do a coin toss.

Do we need any more signings before the 8s? Or is the current squad good enough?  I understand that the bottom four SL teams will be recruiting.

27 minutes ago, ojx said:

Do we need any more signings before the 8s? Or is the current squad good enough?  I understand that the bottom four SL teams will be recruiting.

I think it depends on who is available.

I think we could use a couple faster props/second rowers as i'm not sure how well Bussey, Emmitt, Whiting and Hopkins will go against the faster packs of Leeds and Hull KR.

In the backs I think we are very good with a good crop of decently skilled players who are of SL or close to quality. Maybe just bring in a backup in case of injury.

We also have to see how the game will open up against the SL sides as it seems like the teams in the Championship and League 1 really seem to crowd the middle of the pitch while during the SL games I have watched are a lot more free flowing. 

I've heard it s few times that there's are a lot of players knocking on the door to say they are in if we need them but I'm not sure if anyone would be available me season. Next year expect a lot of changes again should we make SL as expected.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

I think the current squad is good enough to do it...got to have everyone healthy though and all cylinders firing.   Forwards are doing their job and the backs are really moving the ball and penetrating.  Defence  looks good but it will be tested at another, higher level.

Starting the middle 8's with everyone healthy is the key.  One never knows what Noble is up to though....he is getting that quirky smirk of his on his face again....could be on to another big signing.

• Like 1

image.png.a0a23c6708f853aff1f0190facb92159.png

4pts to go. Catalans not helped by the referee, otherwise they can beat any team at the moment. They host Salford next week.

Widnes surprisingly good against Hull KR, will come stronger than we think in the Q, and they face Leeds next week.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 9:43 AM, John WP Fan said:

Qualifiers.png

So, I'm predicting:

Home:  Hull KR, Toulouse, Widnes, Halifax
Away:  Leeds, Salford, Leigh

I'm getting tired of the easy wins, desperately looking for competitive games, win  or lose.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ojx said:

So, I'm predicting:

Home:  Hull KR, Toulouse, Widnes, Halifax
Away:  Leeds, Salford, Leigh

I'm getting tired of the easy wins, desperately looking for competitive games, win  or lose.

I think you are about to get your wish.

• Like 4

Well Widnes is now definitely coming over as they are 12th in SL. Maybe by next weekend the other team visiting Lamport from the SL will be determined and they can start getting travel logistics sorted out. Although really they should have started this weeks ago just in case.