Sign in to follow this  
glemiln

Well done Hornets, but...

...you do not make it easy for fans!  A last-minute try/goal to snatch a crucial victory 28-26 but we seem to have given away too many penalties. And why spurn a penalty under the sticks on 41' to draw level?   Hopefully now we can settle the side and build to that relegation battle and keep within reach of the other clubs. Hopefully too a good crowd next week v Leigh, at a time away from that soccer final, especially if it features England.  Perhaps a 1.30pm kick-off for Hornets and a big screen afterwards for the round ball game at 4pm with bars or beer tents open?

1 hour ago, DiddyDave said:

Well done lads,playing to the final whistle always pays dividends.

Thanks to Morgan Smith greased lightning

Well done to the lads for giving it 100% effort. That was a real never say die performance. What we lack in skill we made up for in effort.

I was disappointed with Swinton's attitude. Every time we got on a roll ( which wasn't too often in the second half ) somehow they had a player go down with a  " serious injury ". A minute later the same player would be busting a gut on attack.

I'd never normally criticise any player for going down hurt. Rugby League is a rough and tough game were only the brave step over the white line in the first place but this seemed to happen every time we got in a good attacking position.

We see it all the time in football, it's to break up any momentum the attacking team has and give the defenders a breather and time to get better organised. It now it appears to be creeping in to Rugby League.

If it takes a hold in our game that'll be me done with Rugby League.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

It was a great win and personally I thought we well deserved that win.  We were the better team overall I thought, certainly in defense.  Even at the start, our defense was superb keeping them in their 40m only for them to get them 40/20s.....twice!!  I bet Killer was pulling his hair out at that point 😉  

Same here in Oz. Not long ago players would get a painful injury,but get up and run it off. Now,especially if it`s a hit to the head,they stop the game straight away,the refs having no option. Stopping the game because a player has cramp is ridiculous,but that`s coming in too now. The game that used to flow is now stop/start,this ridiculous shock clock where the players hang around for scrums and drop outs until the clock runs down has me seething. The game we love is going more and more like rugby yawnion every day. Far too many stoppages,trainers on the field more than the players,drinkies every five minutes or so,far too long for the bunker to decide on a try or not. They`re killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

• Like 1

What a great win, it was so important we won as it pulls us back into the race with Swinton and Dewsbury. We showed a lot of heart in that game but what was refreshing is we showed more skill than we have over the last month or so. Hard tackling and hard carries where the order of the day for both teams and it was great to see a physical game of rugby.

We seem to have fixed some of the problems when it comes to scoring tries albeit against weaker opposition than we have faced over the last month but they are the people we need to beat the Swintons, Dewsburys and Batleys of the league. Again defence was solid apart from the first 15 minutes.

We gave to many penalties away and that nerely cost us the game as Swinton scored 10 points from kicks, we can not afford to do that in the supper 8s.  

1 hour ago, BROADEDDIE said:

We had that problem last week against Swinton and the same problem this week with Barrow, it’s time the “injured player” is taken off the pitch for treatment, where possible.

Getting more and more like soccer, do need like it and don’t like it

I can understand players staying down in this heat every  now and again. You can have a breather and get some water on. Yesterday was different, in the second half it was almost every time we got into a good attacking position inside the 25 an opposition player would stay down after a tackle and stop the game for a good while. When the game restarted they've had a breather and every player is in a position to defend the line.

I can remember a game a few years ago when we were playing Batley at Spotland. They were on the attack and one of our players got a bang on the head in a tackle. Play carried on, the ball went out right and then came back again to centre field. Our guy was still laid out. A Batley ball carrying player actually jumped over his body to carry on the attack and then put a supporting player in for the try that won them the game !