Sign in to follow this  
Manfred Mann

Tuimoala Lolohea may be coming to Super League

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Who has said he's a marquee signing?

As it happens, the youth coming through at Leeds at the moment is a very talented group, most of them not quite ready but there will be some outstanding players coming through in the next few seasons. We've had Walker, Smith and Oledski progress this year and Newman will be the next to break into the first team squad IMO

Reading some of the press reports I thought the Rhinos had signed Jason Taumololo 😂😂

4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

What is your point? I seriously doubt that Widnes or Salford could afford him, or that he would choose to try to further his career by playing for Widnes or Salford, or Leigh for that matter.

Wooosh! The inference being that Leeds' recent form could mean Lolohea facing trips to Leigh and Barrow with his new teammates. I guess there's still time for the coaching dream team of Sinfield and Lowes to turn things around

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not a bums-on-seats signing but surely better than a burned-out Joel Moon. 

I think an NRL contract will show how burned out he is.  He might have been playing out of position but Moon is a very good player.  13 tries last year.  Despite the catastrophe that is Leeds this year, which SL half backs were better than that?

Edit: 15 tries .

Edited by Lowdesert
  • Like 1

Moon's game overall is better than Lolohea but Lolohea has more better off the cuff creative attacking player. Both are players who never really found a home in terms of there position or club for while in the NRL. But the NRL is only one style of Rugby League. Lolohea will probably go OK in Super League with occasional touches of brilliance & go M.I.A in some games to. 

Neither Moon or Lolohea are marquee signings

Moon is doing a job out of position . Weve seen he’s a very good centre 

I saw a fair bit of him when he played for NZ Warriors and he rarely impressed me. Rarely impacted games and his defence wasn’t the best either.

He was playing FB but wanted to play in the halves which is why he left. 

Must admit I haven’t seen him for west’s this season but nowhere near the talent that Blake Austin has.

Austin is a marquee signing and Tui is a family sized tent signing

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Austin is a marquee signing and Tui is a family sized tent signing

More like a one man tent signing.

19 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I saw a fair bit of him when he played for NZ Warriors and he rarely impressed me. Rarely impacted games and his defence wasn’t the best either.

He was playing FB but wanted to play in the halves which is why he left. 

Must admit I haven’t seen him for west’s this season but nowhere near the talent that Blake Austin has.

He looked good the couple of times I’ve seen him in the halves for West’s this year. He still had a surprising turn of pace, considering he looked like he’d eaten George Rose

• Thanks 1

Not convinced this is a good signing for Leeds. He had good and bad games for the Warriors but since moving to the tigers and to stand off his form has dropped massively.  He's a decent runner when he can be bothered but his kicking is awful and his passing only marginally better.

Leeds would be better off playing him in the 3/4s as he's a pretty poor stand off.

13 hours ago, Southerner said:

Of the two, id probably rather have Austin at the moment to be honest.

Lolohea is a decent player and hopefully if he gets a good run of games at 6 then he can develop into an outstanding player. He's moved and been moved around a fair bit with the Warriors and Wests and never really been given a season at 6 to be allowed to develop. Plus the style of game over here will likely suit his style of play more. We'll see, but overall im fairly happy, we just desperately need some forward strength to help him!

I think Lolohea has far more upside than Austin and he looks a player far more suited to SL than the NRL. However he also has far more downside. Austin will be a good player for Warrington.

A fit, committed Lolohea could absolutely tear SL up, absolutely dominate it. But an unfit Lolohea who has come over here with idea that it will be easier will be a liability.

Allowing Moon to leave is sensible. He's not good enough as a stand off and his style of play at centre mean that Ryan Hall outside him is all but wasted. If we're really going to have to pay big money to keep Hall then we should get a proper centre to feed him. Easier said than done obviously.