Will Toronto and Toulouse outperform Widnes and Salford in the Middle 8s?

Widnes and Salford look like the weakest teams in Super League at this time and are certainties for the Middle 8s.

Of the Championship teams, Toronto is a certainty for the Middle 8s while Toulouse is highly likely to be there. If both of them were to be promoted to Super League in 2019 then expansion of the game would receive a huge boost.

The question then becomes: can Toronto and Toulouse win more games than Widnes and Salford in the Middle 8s, and thereby gain promotion to Super League?

I think that the answer for Toronto is "probably," while the answer for Toulouse is "possibly, but then only if William Barthau, Tony Ford, Mark Kheirallah and currently injured Sam Rapira take the field for every game."

Whatever the final outcome, the Middle 8s are surely going to be an exciting contest this year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toulouse need to make it first! One slip up and they'll be out. It's pretty much the same for all of the rest at moment.

Toulouse's record against the other big teams has been poor recently. A win against an in-form Halifax will help boost confidence. I'd be gutted if they didn't make it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

New territory for us...I guess the Super League teams try to bring in 'ace' players during the playoffs on short term contracts to beef up.  I can't see Noble doing this, sort of goes against the whole Toronto 'ethos' thing;  I will tell you this, Toronto is playing and looking good....appears they have a lot more gas in the tank and are just starting to hum....watch out!

Heading out of cell phone contact soon into the bush for awhile.  Bugs could be bad.

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

New territory for us...I guess the Super League teams try to bring in 'ace' players during the playoffs on short term contracts to beef up.  I can't see Noble doing this, sort of goes against the whole Toronto 'ethos' thing;  I will tell you this, Toronto is playing and looking good....appears they have a lot more gas in the tank and are just starting to hum....watch out!

I don't think Widnes or Salford have got the money to bring in 'ace players' - much as they probably need some!

I can't see Salford even making the mpg. A lot depends where we play them. Away games at any of the championship teams will be tough, and I can't see us beating any of the super league teams at home. Championship, then oblivion beckons I'm afraid.

Salford will finish 11th for me, so they’d play the following: 

Home

1st in Championship (Toronto), 12th in SL (Widnes) and 3rd in Championship (currently Halifax). 

Away 

9th in SL (currently Leeds), 10th in SL (currently Hull KR), 2nd in Championship (currently Toulouse) and 4th in the Championship (currently Featherstone). 

Obviously a lot is to change between now and the 8’s but looking at that, I would not fancy Salford in their away games and probably not against Toronto at Home either if it was to stay as it is. 

Twp I can see in 3rd or at worst 4th. They have some real quality. 

All the other championship sides hmmm... I'm not sure they will finish ahead of Widnes. The gulf between the two divisions is there. Leigh are the enigma, such a bad start to the season,if not for that clearly in second.... Because of the start they are touch and go for the top 4.....i can see them being trouble for SL sides IF they scrape in. 

At the moment Im thinking that Toulouse could be the team to miss out in the top 4 as they enter their traditional end of season wobble. Of the teams near the top 4, Toronto I think have a decent chance of promotion, If Leigh make it I think they will have a similar chance, Toulouse could trouble teams at home but wont win an away game even to the champ teams so pretty much no chance, Fax would likely compete but playing full time teams each week would be a big ask although if they get 2nd then you never know. London again could trouble teams at home but you cant see them making it and Fev would get pumped every week.

For the good of the championship clubs, and maybe the game in general, Toronto need to be in SL. Apart from their mullering by Warrington they haven't been tested enough recently and it could be their downfall. I hope not.

Leigh are currently the second best team (on form) in the Chanpionship. Assuming they qualify they'll be a handful - Toulouse are erratic and may not be consistent enough.

Can't see Fev, London or Fax being contenders.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Toronto might make it at the expence of Widnes,dont think Salford will go down

Agree Salford look capable of winning a few and still have a very good half back in Roger Lui. There's a big difference between them and Widnes. Widnes need a win before the 8s to build some belief. Salford look alot stronger than Widnes right now. 

Will Toronto and Toulouse outperform Widnes and Salford in the Middle 8s?

Yes! SRD are on a trajectory to oblivion sadly.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

24 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Agree Salford look capable of winning a few and still have a very good half back in Roger Lui. There's a big difference between them and Widnes. Widnes need a win before the 8s to build some belief. Salford look alot stronger than Widnes right now. 

Doesn't take much to be fair.

A spiders web i broke earlier looked a lot stronger than Widnes currently do!!

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

You spelt Halifax wrong.

:) Fair point!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Toulouse no.  Im unsure about Toronto, they looked miles off against Wire in the cup.  Has Rowley got the coaching skills to get his team playing with their heads for the full 80 against hardened super league teams? We'll see.

10 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Toulouse no.  Im unsure about Toronto, they looked miles off against Wire in the cup.  Has Rowley got the coaching skills to get his team playing with their heads for the full 80 against hardened super league teams? We'll see.

With all due respect, Widnes, Salford and Hull KR aren’t Warrington and Toronto were actually the much better team against Warrington, on Wire’s own patch too, before their heads fell off and they brought the game into disrepute in that cup tie. They can do it, as they proved against Warrington for twenty or so minutes but their biggest issue is can they keep disciplined? 

I wouldn’t fancy facing them if I were a Widnes or Salford fan, maybe a little less so Hull KR. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Toronto were leading Warrington until they went down to 10 men. Yes, discipline will be an issue for them. Although the SL refs do tend give a benefit to the players that they are familiar with.

Nobody is getting promoted. Toronto fans don't realize, the likes of Salford, Widnes, Huddersfield play QUALITY opposition week in/week out. Championship clubs do not. The only advantage Toronto have (apart from an Australian multi-millionaire) is the travelling that clubs have to do to get to the other continent. PLANET EARTH RFL ! ?

24 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Nobody is getting promoted. Toronto fans don't realize, the likes of Salford, Widnes, Huddersfield play QUALITY opposition week in/week out. Championship clubs do not. The only advantage Toronto have (apart from an Australian multi-millionaire) is the travelling that clubs have to do to get to the other continent. PLANET EARTH RFL ! ?

Somewhat ironic you used the American spelling there Mr Clogdance. Or was that a deliberate attempt to enrage our Canadian friends? :)

If the middle 8s were to go....I'd miss them. 

A few months back I would have said Toronto and Toulouse are looking good for promotion. Now I'd say just Toronto have a good chance, with Leigh an outside chance to be there and be good enough if there. At risk mainly Widnes and possibly Salford depending on form at the time. 

What is it with Toulouse? They promise early then seem to run out of steam, like a marathon runner that went out too early. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived