Sign in to follow this  
deluded pom?

Latest World Rankings

Even though England beat New Zealand in the Denver Test & they reached a World Cup final last year, yet they still end up as the 3rd best team in the rankings. New Zealand have been poor for the past year. It just doesn't make any sense?

8 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Still they persist in including Morocco!

I think the reason is that the government there banned the game so the RLIF support them because of that unusual situation. They still want to play so the RLIF is providing moral support by including them on the list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I think the reason is that the government there banned the game so the RLIF support them because of that unusual situation. They still want to play so the RLIF is providing moral support by including them on the list.

But there isn’t any RL activity going in Morocco is there Ray? 

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

But there isn’t any RL activity going in Morocco is there Ray? 

No, because it's banned. I assume there must be people there that the RLIF recognise as still wishing to play it, but waiting for a change of official policy. 

Scotland are in despite the lack of domestic competition and Lebanon in front of PNG...

13 hours ago, Rage said:

Even though England beat New Zealand in the Denver Test & they reached a World Cup final last year, yet they still end up as the 3rd best team in the rankings. New Zealand have been poor for the past year. It just doesn't make any sense?

The world rankings are based on a five year period of sanctioned Test matches, with more recent games carrying a greater value. Calculation is also based on the ranking of the opposition faced. 

During that 5-year period:

ENG v NZ:   3-4

ENG v AUS:  0-5

AUS v NZ:  7-3

A few years ago there was huge gap between NZ and ENG. Under their old points system, AUS and NZ were about 900pts, well ahead of ENG on about 500pts, only just ahead of Samoa. Under the new points system, ENG has closed the gap substantially.

"Calculation is also based on the ranking of the opposition faced."

In that 5 years, ENG has played 24 times, with 12 games against AUS or NZ.

NZ has played 28 times with 18 games against AUS or ENG.

• Thanks 1

Unpopular opinion, the rankings are about right. If the rankings were completed over a shorter period, say three years, I suspect we’d see England above New Zealand but as far as I know, there’s no benefit of being in second so it’s all a bit pointless really. 

It’s great to see the list of Rugby League playing nations grow over the years. 

2 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Edited by Southerner80

The rankings are a bit strange I assume they are based just on wc and other results over last few years. 

I agree it is strange that a team with no real domestic set up is Scotland are so high up.  

Edit

Edited by Allora