Sign in to follow this  
Mumby Magic

The Future's bright, the Future's Overseas

1996. European Super League starts.

Alas the hastily concocted PSG last two seasons. Mid noughties and Catalans fill that void.

But what is this I see before me? Two more overseas clubs with an opportunity of promotion to SL?

Crikey.

What do they bring to the table though? Toronto crowds of 7000, Toulouse crowds of 2000 in the championship and Catalans of around 8000. Add to that, not only fan bases that some SL clubs would like but and attraction to the media and SKY as our game may not only be multi European but can claim the title of World SL if it happens. With potential entries soon from possibly  Belgrade and NY and things may look bright for our sport. Expansion clubs propping up heartland teams, who'd have thunk it?? :O

• Like 4

Time for another Tin Hat Time............

http://www.totalrl.com/toronto-wolfpack-open-toronto-stock-exchange-tsx/

Toronto Wolfpack were on hand to open the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) on Wednesday morning (July 11th) as Head Coach Paul Rowley, Director of Rugby Brian Noble MBE, coaching staff and the Wolfpack’s popular mascot Jefferson began the day’s trading session.

The TSX opening is the latest high-profile appearance as Wolfpack players and coaches drive their commitment to grow the game of rugby in Canada and beyond. It follows the team lifting the Betfred Championship League Leaders’ Shield on Saturday afternoon at Lamport Stadium, the Wolfpack’s third trophy in just two years.

“It was a privilege to present the Championship League Leaders’ Shield to the team at Lamport Stadium on Saturday. The Wolfpack’s ambitions to build a truly Global Brand, demonstrated by events like opening the TSX today, are a huge positive for the City” says Councillor Mark Grimes, City of Toronto.

Rugby is an international game, renowned for developing leadership, commitment and teamwork worldwide with the Wolfpack’s core vision driven by a belief that the world is a better place with more rugby balls in kids’ hands. Along with the City of Toronto and the City of Vaughan, the Wolfpack plan to create a Global Excellence aimed at producing more players like current second row Quinn Ngawati, the first Canadian-born player to play professional Rugby League.

“Toronto Wolfpack were honoured to be in attendance for the opening of the Toronto Stock Market. We are receiving significant support from the City of Toronto and key enabling organizations such as Tourism Toronto, the Canadian UK High Commission and Toronto Global as these bodies recognise how the Wolfpack can be the bridge to driving increased investment and tourist numbers to Toronto”, comments Scott Lidbury, Wolfpack General Manager – Commercial.

The Wolfpack’s inaugural season in 2017, saw the team host over 75,000 fans at Lamport Stadium in Liberty Village. That figure includes over 1,000 international supporters, made possible by the team’s partnership with Air Transat, whose parent company is listed on the TSX. In 2018 over 3,000 are expected to travel and in 2019 this number should rise to 10,000.

“Air Transat is really proud to be here today, alongside the Wolfpack, as their official partner airline and as the official sponsor of North America’s first professional rugby team. It is exciting to partner with the team during this growth period, and to accompany team members and fans on our regular year-round flights between Manchester and Toronto”, says Geneviève LeBrun, Vice-president Marketing at Transat.

This is one of a number of partnerships that helps Canadian based organizations expand their exposure globally and assist growth into the European market. This commitment is working in both directions as the club also receives financial support from UK business targeting the Canadian Market and is particularly significant following the introduction of the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).

Along with international brands such as Setanta Asia, who recently agreed to a broadcast deal that extended the Wolfpack’s reach into more than 100 million homes, the Wolfpack also proudly support a number of local family run Ontario businesses. This includes independent craft breweries that are brought in to create the Wolfpack’s highly acclaimed Beer Garden, and enhance the game day experience.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Time for another Tin Hat Time............

http://www.totalrl.com/toronto-wolfpack-open-toronto-stock-exchange-tsx/

Toronto Wolfpack were on hand to open the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) on Wednesday morning (July 11th) as Head Coach Paul Rowley, Director of Rugby Brian Noble MBE, coaching staff and the Wolfpack’s popular mascot Jefferson began the day’s trading session.

The TSX opening is the latest high-profile appearance as Wolfpack players and coaches drive their commitment to grow the game of rugby in Canada and beyond. It follows the team lifting the Betfred Championship League Leaders’ Shield on Saturday afternoon at Lamport Stadium, the Wolfpack’s third trophy in just two years.

“It was a privilege to present the Championship League Leaders’ Shield to the team at Lamport Stadium on Saturday. The Wolfpack’s ambitions to build a truly Global Brand, demonstrated by events like opening the TSX today, are a huge positive for the City” says Councillor Mark Grimes, City of Toronto.

Rugby is an international game, renowned for developing leadership, commitment and teamwork worldwide with the Wolfpack’s core vision driven by a belief that the world is a better place with more rugby balls in kids’ hands. Along with the City of Toronto and the City of Vaughan, the Wolfpack plan to create a Global Excellence aimed at producing more players like current second row Quinn Ngawati, the first Canadian-born player to play professional Rugby League.

“Toronto Wolfpack were honoured to be in attendance for the opening of the Toronto Stock Market. We are receiving significant support from the City of Toronto and key enabling organizations such as Tourism Toronto, the Canadian UK High Commission and Toronto Global as these bodies recognise how the Wolfpack can be the bridge to driving increased investment and tourist numbers to Toronto”, comments Scott Lidbury, Wolfpack General Manager – Commercial.

The Wolfpack’s inaugural season in 2017, saw the team host over 75,000 fans at Lamport Stadium in Liberty Village. That figure includes over 1,000 international supporters, made possible by the team’s partnership with Air Transat, whose parent company is listed on the TSX. In 2018 over 3,000 are expected to travel and in 2019 this number should rise to 10,000.

“Air Transat is really proud to be here today, alongside the Wolfpack, as their official partner airline and as the official sponsor of North America’s first professional rugby team. It is exciting to partner with the team during this growth period, and to accompany team members and fans on our regular year-round flights between Manchester and Toronto”, says Geneviève LeBrun, Vice-president Marketing at Transat.

This is one of a number of partnerships that helps Canadian based organizations expand their exposure globally and assist growth into the European market. This commitment is working in both directions as the club also receives financial support from UK business targeting the Canadian Market and is particularly significant following the introduction of the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).

Along with international brands such as Setanta Asia, who recently agreed to a broadcast deal that extended the Wolfpack’s reach into more than 100 million homes, the Wolfpack also proudly support a number of local family run Ontario businesses. This includes independent craft breweries that are brought in to create the Wolfpack’s highly acclaimed Beer Garden, and enhance the game day experience.

I've always believed I've been a constructive sceptic of the Wolfpack. Supportive in principle, but not afraid to pull the debate back to reality when some of the dreaming got out of hand. 

I have to say that that is the sort of press release, both in content and style, that I've seen issued by other sports but never by rugby league. 

Wherever and whenever the Wolfpack journey finally ends, they've added something that I hope has opened eyes to where we need to be going as a sport if we want to survive the next decade or so. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Wherever and whenever the Wolfpack journey finally ends, they've added something that I hope has opened eyes to where we need to be going as a sport if we want to survive the next decade or so. 

We were always going to survive the next decade or so. But the Wolfpack and many others have maybe helped us survive as something other than a bitter, atavistic, navel-gazing, grudge-holding, regional novelty.

• Like 3

I dont think Its possible to compare Toronto to Toulouse or Dragons.
France is a country with a real tradition of rugby and rugby league.
Often I read on this forum the words "expansion", etc.
We mix everything!
For example, the Dragons played two finals with 9 French on the scoresheet.
Toulouse beat Halifax with 12 French etc.
Toronto can not be compared to these French clubs, which have a history, rugby schools and other clubs in their wake

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I'll leave this here. Catalans giving the game enormous coverage this w/end. Add to that when TWP go up.

I really hope TWP do go up (and TO)...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fcl said:

I dont think Its possible to compare Toronto to Toulouse or Dragons.
France is a country with a real tradition of rugby and rugby league.
Often I read on this forum the words "expansion", etc.
We mix everything!
For example, the Dragons played two finals with 9 French on the scoresheet.
Toulouse beat Halifax with 12 French etc.
Toronto can not be compared to these French clubs, which have a history, rugby schools and other clubs in their wake

one steeped in RL history, and another full a waffle.:popcorn: for now at least.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:22 PM, Futtocks said:

We were always going to survive the next decade or so. But the Wolfpack and many others have maybe helped us survive as something other than a bitter, atavistic, navel-gazing, grudge-holding, regional novelty.

Personally I like the grudge holding, a bit like the Biff, truly a part of our heritage and something I'm hoping the Canadians may bring back because of their love of Biff on a stick on ice.

Survival during decline is not something to aspire to though, managing how we declined wasn't something to look forward to.

Was it in A Lion in Winter that Richard the Lion-heart say something about the fall matters when that's all there is? Great line but a lousy philosophy.

I never really thought of us as a regional novelty but now I've filed TGG under Kiss me quick hats and George Formby.

44 minutes ago, silverback said:

one steeped in RL history, and another full a waffle.:popcorn: for now at least.

I quite like waffles. 

• Like 1

whatever the new league system is Toulouse need to be in the top tier, we must not miss the opportunity 

a truly international league is a must if league is to prosper In the future,

Edited by owls
  • Like 2