Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Catalans to sign Smith?

Just now, bobbruce said:

The link doesn’t work. Who are they signing?.

Works now👍

Wierd that it doesn’t work in the original but does in my quote. 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I thought it was Cameron Smith there !

That was my first thought. The salary cap police 👮‍♀️ would’ve gone into melt down. 

If sterile performances and overpaying people is on the agenda at Catalans, Smith is their man.

An utter waste of space that should never have been re-signed by Saints. His stats are horrific (one try, zero assists last year IIRC) and a man who’s sheer starting presence on a field when Saints played away in 2017 amounted to a grand total of one win (which was a game he limped off injured in). 

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If sterile performances and overpaying people is on the agenda at Catalans, Smith is their man.

An utter waste of space that should never have been re-signed by Saints. His stats are horrific (one try, zero assists last year IIRC) and a man who’s sheer starting presence on a field when Saints played away in 2017 amounted to a grand total of one win (which was a game he limped off injured in). 

Do I take it you're not a fan of him?

39 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do I take it you're not a fan of him?

Stats don’t lie. 

In 2017 we had a higher win percentage with Richardson on the pitch, scored, on average, more points when Richardson was on the pitch and Richardson contributed more tries and try assists than Smith. 

It was, IMO, a travesty that Smith started at Cas in the play-offs last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Stats don’t lie. 

In 2017 we had a higher win percentage with Richardson on the pitch, scored, on average, more points when Richardson was on the pitch and Richardson contributed more tries and try assists than Smith. 

Were the change of coach and his decisions anything to do with it?  Seems quite clear that Smith isn’t Holbrook man, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player, just not good enough for Holbrook.  He hasn’t let the side down when he has played either, none of which he started as half back.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Stats don’t lie. 

While I feel Smith is a solid player I agree he's no stand out anymore and agree he should not have started the semi last year. 

As a Dracs fan I want Drinkwater to stay and a running half back to be brought in alongside him.... Langi is okay however I would feel there's better options. Roger Lui for one... 

Smith Imo is not worth the high salary he would require and is potentially a bit like Luke Walsh minus the injury ie good player but had better days and not dynamic. 

Edited by Southerner80

Why are they signing Smith when they already have Drinkwater and Tomkins for their halves?

Tomkins must be playing in the halves given the great form of Gigot and Mead at full back.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why are they signing Smith when they already have Drinkwater and Tomkins for their halves?

Tomkins must be playing in the halves given the great form of Gigot and Mead at full back.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Gigot to centre Mead to Cas?

I imagine Catalans will run next year with:

1. Tomkins
2. Broughton
3. Gigot
4. Mead
5. Yaha/Tierney/new signing
6. Drinkwater
7. Smith

Williame to second row, Thornley to a Championship club? Alternatively, Mead to the wing and WIlliame sticking at centre?

26 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

1. Tomkins
2. Broughton
3. Gigot
4. Mead
6. Drinkwater
7. Smith

Williame to second row, Thornley to a Championship club? Alternatively, Mead to the wing and WIlliame sticking at centre?

Drinkwater is definitely not a stand off. He is a scrum half all day. They will either have Drinkwater or Smith, not both 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think I read Drinkwater has said Wests Tigers have an option on him for next year, so maybe this is just Catalans looking around for a plan b.

And of course like almost all Anzac players they would rather be in the NRL.... I would hope Dracs can get at least next season out of him but if West's want him it will be very tough to keep him. 

22 hours ago, Chris22 said:

1. Tomkins
2. Broughton
3. Gigot
4. Mead
6. Drinkwater
7. Smith

Mead, Yaha, Williame, Gigot, Tierney, Tomkins, Smith. 

37 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There was a rumour, though it appears to have nothing in it, that Mead would be coming to Saints as a swap deal for Smith if Ben Barba is going home. 

Also, I read Wakefield we’re keen on Josh Drinkwater. 

Lots of saints fans who speak to the club think there’s nothing in that rumour. Saints just want Smith off the cap so they can bring Paulo in without it impacting any Wilkin/ Peyroux decisions.

Edited by Magic Superbeetle